1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] With Lin and Asik still in Houston, Parsons may find his payday delayed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Was there ever any doubt that Morey would hold off signing Parsons until he made a big play in the summer of 2015 with the max contract money available?

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Didnt see this comment before I wrote mines, but this guy gets the point, we will talk after playoffs, parsons defense and play then will let us know if he's really the glue we need to invest in. After hearing parsons on 790 give an excuse about clipper game was 5th game on bk to bk he's happy to be home and get a day off. I wouldn't pay more than $7mill if that for him.

We need guys with heart, you think our team that went on 22streak were worried about a bk to bk ? You think pacers, heat, OKC, clippers care about a back to back when they go on 10+ winning streaks? that game is one a player with heart should have circled on their schedule, how we lost our 1st two to them.

3. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

No! the best case scenario is us winning the CHAMPIONSHIP this year :grin:

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am holding out hope we can get Melo on a 3 year SnT for Lin/Asik and never let Parsons hit UFA.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

This is where things get sticky.

There's still a longshot for the Rockets to manufacture a situation that allows them to make Parsons unrestricted. They would have to decide a 3rd star is impossible through 2015 free agency. It'd have to be all in through trade.

1. The Lakers are unlucky not to land a top 5 or 7 pick, ie low enough they'd trade their lottery pick.

2. Trade Lin & Asik's perfectly timed 1 year deals to the Lakers. The Lakers will want to showcase their club to Love without jeopardizing their cap room.

3. Hope the Rockets by this stage have collected enough assets to get that 3rd star through trade.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

* unrestricted should be restricted.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And why wouldn't the Rockets want Parsons to go unrestricted? They have his Bird rights. All it takes is a match.

8. yummyhawtsauce

i dont think any more big trade will happen until after the draft - people are just stockpiling - lin and asik might be more movable then after people realize they couldn't get what they wanted - but then again there's always the danger of that failing too...

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I never understood the fascination with making Parsons a RFA. It has consistently been brought up, yet never made sense at any point. It's almost as if it's one of those "I feel bad he's only making 900K/yr so let's find a way to get him millions of dollars" kind of thing.

Even back when the Rockets signed Asik and Lin to 3yr deals, they had been thinking about the 2015 FA and clearing capspace for that year. Unless Morey has some backroom deal with Feigan that forced the Rockets hand, this was never even remotely plausible.

Saying Parsons may leave in UFA implies that there will be a team in 2015 who can give Parsons a near-max contract AND will have better chance at a title than the Rockets. Which team can do that?

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets were prepared to tank until 2015 FA. Situation has changed with Harden & Dwight.

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Trade his azz in the Summer while his price is high. Package him with Harden and we might be able to get a decent star in return.

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

for ****'s sake, for EVERYONE's sake, JUST TRADE THEM ALREADY!!!!!

wtf man, if it hurts the team so much, if both aren't worth the money, especially one of them, then why didn't Morey just trade them, especially considering parsons has a chance of being taken away.

I understand that Morey wants to get something out of Lin and Asik, but damn man, these are human beings, they have lives and their own careers... If they suck, so be it, let them suck with bottom-feeding teams, but at least give them the chance to shine, even if it's with bottom-feeders.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

wtf, im not a native american; you and I both know which gif you should be using...

the crying asian one of course...

don't worry, i wont find it racist ;)

15. afk

afk Member

As I figured... the Asik and Lin contract is virtually impossible to trade. I am sure Morey will figure something out such as moving them for something that looks worthless and BAM... Kevin Love.

But, in reality, it looks like both Asik and Lin will be a Rocket until the remainder of their contract. Fun.

16. trugoy

trugoy Member

wrong, tons of teams will take them if you just want cap space, however if you want to replace the production that Lin and Asik gives, then it becomes much harder to make a trade.

17. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

The one thing that I have confidence in Morey is that he will make the right decision. Although I would feel MUCH more comfortable w/ him signing Parsons to a deal as a RFA this summer, the reasoning for waiting in 2015 is just too enticing for him to pass up IMO

Parsons cap hold on the cap should hover around $1.1 million if I remember correctly so we maybe able to sign both Parsons and a max FA to a deal IF Parsons is willing to wait around a bit during FA. His cap hold will not put a stranglehold on our cap situation so all we will need is some good faith on Morey's part, some patience and loyalty on Parsons part, and some luck.

I feel that Les will be willing to pony up for the next few seasons after 2015 if it means a potential dynasty w/ Harden, Parsons, Dwight, and another max player cause the potential of a squad like that is astronomical. Who knows but I'm hoping for the best

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

2 first round draft picks from us and the ability to get additional picks/p!ayer by trading asik or Lin for their expiring contracts at the trade deadline.

19. mag

mag Contributing Member

First Parsons needs to demonstrate he is worth the money he is expecting. Over the last games he has not shown he is worth that kind of money. The way he is playing now I would not give him more than 5 mil.
    I really hope he has not reached his top. I really hope he becomes the player every Rockets fan is hoping for. Unfortunately the last games I have seen the opposite.
    Good thing is that now we have Hamilton and he will provide more competition to that position. With luck, Hamilton can flourish.

Best of luck to both of them.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

This. parsons is a guy that never really had a solid backup. That glue term is overrated to me because of course the team plays bad when you don't have a backup 3 basically on roster to step in and replace him when he's out. Since Hamilton is here now he's a guy mchale can pull parsons for when he shot is not falling or he is missing defensive assignments. Parsons has green light every night, lacks D, and hasn't been held accountable because of now backup.

Look at harden, even tho Lin has been playing like trash lately. Numbers show when harden is out Lin can step up and the team still wins games. That's because harden has a solid back up.