1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] With Lin and Asik still in Houston, Parsons may find his payday delayed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You might be right. I was confident that Golden State wouldn't be able to create room last summer and they did, so it's certainly possible. That said, as far as Parsons is concerned, the decision to decline his option would have to be made by June 30. So in order to make the RFA move then, Morey would have to feel very confident via back channels that A) he has a good shot at one of the top 2014 FAs and B) he has homes already lined up for Asik and Lin. Not impossible, but seems unlikely because that's a lot of ducks to line up in a row -- especially that early.

2. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I agree with 2. and 3. But don't bring Boozer into it. What Boozer did was extremely low and I never thought Parsons would do that.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Not saying you are wrong, but a good writer != a well-connected insider

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Look at how the chips are falling... Parsons' pay day wont come until 2015 and there's a good chance it wont be with the Rockets. We're not maintaining all of that flexibility in 2015 for Chandler Parsons...

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I'm a little more optimistic that Morey can find takers for Asik and Lin over the summer. Are you telling me the 76ers won't take on one or both for picks?

Also interesting: at the Sloan Conference the Warriors GM revealed he had negotiated terms of a deal with Iguodala's agent before clearing the cap space to sign him. Morey said he initially wasn't worried because he thought the Warriors GM had zero chance to pull it off. Clearly though, he made it work. I would think Morey would try the same sort of strategy and try to reach terms with a player's agent before draft night. If he has someone on the hook I could see him being more bullish about trading away picks along with Asik and Lin to get cap space.

Still a longshot, but Morey can pull that off to sign a third star, go over the cap to resign Parsons, still have Beverley, and with their ability to find cheap talent...that's best case scenario imo.

6. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If the Rockets are really looking to sign a third star to go with Harden and Howard, outside of extreme lux tax city there is really no way they can keep Parsons at the price he likely will want.

To get that third star this off season will likely mean shipping out Parsons in a sign and trade. Probably along with Lin/Asik etc

7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Ya if hinkie can absorb Asik and Lin and take a first to clear out our cap I think we could throw money at bosh/melo/James. That would be great

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

We should trade Parsons then,cause he will not be part of the future and his value is rocket high.

Makes sense though,if we net another superstar and we pay Parsons 10-12mill,we would be in luxury tax hell.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good stuff! Yeah, Golden State really opened some eyes with those cap clearing moves. They moved a lot of draft picks to do it however. But if you are "going for it," then why not?

If Morey can move Asik/Lin with draft picks to create space to nab a 3rd star...that is the "go for it" move and you have to make it.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nicely written - disagree entirely - I think they should lock Parsons up on the cheaper deal and trade Asik this summer, Lin too if we can.

DD

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be ironic if we traded asik/lin and used our cap space to pursue bosh? Morey could give him an ipad mini.

It would make poetic sense because:
    1) Broussard's article the other day with quotes from anonymous scouts, one saying that Bosh is as good as he was in Toronto, but a better shooter, just not featured.

2) ESPN report the other day he is more willing to test free agency than the other two big three.

And most importantly:
    3) the ESPN report that it was Battier who convinced Bosh to step back and take more threes.

OTOH, I imagine if he leaves Miami it'll be to get a full payday and/or to go somewhere that he's not third banana to prove his legacy. Neither of those things are something the Rockets could offer.

12. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Rockets aren't going to be able to move Lin and his $15mil anchor. Asik, maybe, but I doubt that too. Likely stuck with them until the end of their contracts. Those two poison pills are biting the Rockets in the ass.

I wonder how Parsons feels about all the third superstar talk? I don't think he'll ever start sulking openly, but it may affect any possible hometown discount on his part when it comes time to negotiate. He puts up his current averages or better next season, he's gonna wanna get paid.

13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

RFA or UFA, either way he is going to get near max whether he's worth it or not. The perception of him around the league is too positive. I heard somewhere (I think it was cyberx) that Ainge sees Parsons as the perfect leader for his young team, and several other GMs also see Parsons as such and would be willing to pay Parsons near max.

14. passdarock

passdarock Member

This should be the #1 priority:

"If Asik and Lin were traded to a team with cap space in June or July of this year, the Rockets could come close to affording a top 2014 free agent while simultaneously pushing Parsons into restricted free agency and locking him up long-term at a cheaper rate."

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The best case scenario is for us to get deep in playoffs, ie WCF and then have Love demand a trade to Houston in the off season seeing that he would be the missing piece to a championship team. He can simply say, trade me to Houston for Asik and Lin and a few first rounders or I'll go there in the off-season when Asik and Lin come off the books. The wolves would have no choice but to trade him to us.

16. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

A lot depends on how the Rockets finish the season and the playoffs. There are reasons to move Parsons: replaceable position, move Harden to the #3, package to get a big name like Love or Rondo. There are also equally good reasons to keep him.

17. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

You would have to package a trade if you want a player in 2014-15. Salary trades have to be roughly equal - trade exceptions. They could buyout a player: maybe package them both to the Knicks for Amare + change, buyout Amare then go sign the FA. Don't know if the rules permit it, but I don't see why it couldn't happen.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That's not how it works. Bought out guys still count towards the cap.

You CAN trade a player out for no returning salary as long as the team has the cap space.

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

now why would the wolves agree to this? think about it.

if they don't trade him, he walks in 2015 to houston. wolves get nothing in return but they do have now available cap space which IS something of value.

if they trade him in 2014 for asik and lin, they end up in the same situation in 2015 with asik and lin becoming FA's and walk, and the wolves having 16mil of cap space. BUT, in this scenario, they're paying $30MIL to asik and lin in 2014! if i were an owner i'd kill my GM for making this trade knowing the end results in 2015 is the same, but i'm $15mil poorer this upcoming season.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

all depends on how the team plays in playoffs, & how parsons plays in playoffs.. If we don't make it out 1st round... or don't do good 2nd round morey will probably trade parsons in a package this summer while is value is high.