1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why poor defensive rotations are killing the Rockets (by Jeff Balke)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

In some ways I totally agree with you. Defense creates offense. Even if a team is shooting 30% from the field and is going 2/11 from the 3, they can still win it if their defense creates more possessions for them. Essentially the Van Gundy model sped up. Defense can be the cure all in a lot of cases because it gives you more chances to get it right, but there is a limit to how much it can do.

Houston has two other major flaws: they don't take care of the ball when they have it, and when the defense figures out RA's system the whole thing collapses. I've said it before and I'll say it again: in the second half of the game aint nobody wants the ball. It's bad how little Rocket players want to take the shot, dribble penetrate, or even crash the boards. Fundamentally we have a lapse when we have the lead and/or there isn't much time left. RA eluded to the fact that players are not in the right position when certain plays are called, and that may be so, but why is it we don't have someone directing traffic? I mean to say, why doesn't someone take a role like Rondo does for the Celtics? Whether you are an AB fan or a Lowry fan its easy to see that when the game is in this sort of stall players are just standing around doing nothing. Scola is the only exception to this. He is the only one I see who maintains these fundamentals (and Chase has been decent in these situations).

All in all its a two part problem: we aren't creating the possessions we need (from defense) and we are squandering away what little number of possessions we have on offense. If you want to blame Aaron, or Yao, or Lowry of whomever be my guest, but the team as a whole seems like a deer caught in headlights...

1 person likes this.
  2. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Hopefully Dampier will improve the team's defense.

3. dartherus

dartherus Member

Yet the leading in scoring and rebounds of the team, is among the most bashed...

4. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Who is the leader of this team? Yao can't lead by example at 24 minutes pg. Battier can't back up and talk at this point. I believe Battier is a situational player at this point. That leaves brooks, martin, and scola. No one ever accused those three of being lock down defenders. Someone will have to step up and bring out the best in these players...

Then again... it's the first four games. if we're 2 and 10 a couple weeks from now some heads are gonna roll...

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Think he will show up by trade deadline ... or the playoffs?

6. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

On Hornets game, I can't remember how many times, after pick and roll, 2 Rockets chase one Hornets and left the other Hornets wide open to the paint.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Watch the games ... I agree KM's on-the-ball defense has been adequate. Meaning, his man is not the one scoring on us. It is the PG play that has been killing us.

I just wish there was a defensive leader on the court. When you see a teammate being consistently beaten, someone to hold that player accountable or say I'll take that man or start double-teaming. I wish they would talk more and challenge each other more. I want more fire and emotion.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And much as I hate to say this, I think we gave up too early on Ariza, and he would have helped us out a lot.

Because last year, we had AB-KM-TA-LS-CH as our starting unit and we could win in the 4th.

9. PeppermintCandy

I haven't watched all the games this year, but a lot of times when team defense mentality is poor, the one or two players that were actually playing help defense end up looking like they're the problem because they seem out of position.
    But in fact, it only seems that way because no one's properly rotated to cover their man. So the guys that actually are doing their job get caught in limbo. I noticed this a lot two seasons ago when Brent Barry and Von Wafer were on the court together. Barry would often get hanged out to dry because of Wafer's defensive lapses.

I'm wondering if something like this is what's going on with Battier.

10. somenobody

somenobody Member

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

You know our defensive coaching is not good at all when you recall how Elston Turner messed up the last preseason game vs. the Mavs.

Ugh!!!

If we keep losing, we will see a change of coaching.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. Martin is putting in the effort and at least he is trying to stay near his man, unlike some other players (Scola, Brooks).

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Yes, the play good D, but can't the rebound once they play good D. Plus we would have to win the game 2 - 0. Because they can't score to save their lives