1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Kyle Lowry could become the next Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I see your point and I'm sure they could play together effectively, but it just wouldn't make sense in my view. There would be a wealth of minutes available for Lowry on the other team in the deal... and I would think that team would want Lowry. As a matter of fact, I would guess the Rockets will get a lot of calls on Lowry just in general.

As for Deron possibly going on the market again, I did think that was a possibility. I think what BimaThug says above makes a ton of sense though ... most NBA owners/teams cave at the threat of their star player leaving, but Prokhorov seems like a different cat and could really play hardball.

I don't know if or how Sacramento would have been involved, but the talks with Utah were about getting Deron Williams to Houston.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Here is my scenario and I'm sticking with this. The rockets are going to have enough money to get williams and howard if he doesnt sign an extension. Getting one or the other isnt enough to elevate the rockets into real contention. Neither is coming to the Rockets without the other. Let me set this up.

There will be no mid season trade of williams. NJ thinks the lure of NYC is greater than anything any other team can offer. Take into account his wife just had a child back in Dallas and he's a texas kid. Thats why i said before if the rockets dont land him, that means a team like dallas probably did with their owner and the contracts coming off the books.

Next season, NJ will be working from a severe point of weakness. The rockets will make a free agent run for williams and when they secure his service, they will then trade lowry,but not nj.

The rocket will need to trade scola this season for a cheaper,expiring contract similar to what they did in the ariza trade. They need to do this to have the money to get into the game of getting both howard and williams. Its a neccesary evil and one worth taking action and the risk. If they dont get both or at least one, at least they now have patterson developing going forward.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With another slew of good point guards most likely coming out for the draft this offseason, there is no doubt the Rockets could get a quality PG if not a future star PG if Lowry becomes the center of trade talks.

1. Kyrie Irving
    2. Alec Burks
    3. Jimmer
    4. Nolan Smith

- those are 4 top PG's that could all go in the top 15. Jimmer and Smith probably wont be stars, but they will be quality guards and could start on many NBA teams.

With the Patterson, Budinger, the Courtney Lee pickup, and the Battier trade exception looking like the bargains of the century there is no doubt Morey DOES NOT cash his chips in before the trade deadline next season.

If you thought Morey had a nice hand to play this last trade deadline, it is looking even better this next year, and we dont even know what kind of bargains Morey will get in this years draft.

Then throw in a few low risk wildcards -
    -Terrence Williams
    -Hasheem Thabeet
    -Draft Picks

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The only way we trade Lowry is if it gets us a clear upgrade at the PG position, top 5 material.

He may get shipped out for lesser big men, but I'm guessing he isn't high on the Rockets "get rid of" list.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-EDIT - Forgot about Kemba Walker. That guy is a stud and is only going to get better.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice list, jopatmc... I think you might be able to put Granger on that list (if you consider him a superstar) and it's debatable the superstar potential of Rubio and Irving, but 4 of the 6 on your list are point guards. Some take the approach that we keep the players that are doing well and trade those who struggle or we can't use... but my view is Lowry is playing up his value enormously, and you upgrade any position you can with a franchise piece because it's rare when they come on the market. The most likely superstar to hit the market is a point guard... and possibly more than one.

I go back and forth on Scola's trade value. He's owed $11 million in 2015, so I'm not sure. He's 30, so like Battier, you would think it would be teams ready to contend now that would pursue him. So question is -- who would be anxious enough to get him that they'd be willing to give up something of value to the Rockets? The team I used previously as a good example was the Oklahoma City Thunder for Jeff Green, but that's a different story now.

7. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

I'm glad the Deron Williams talks fell apart. He is an upgrade, but not enough over Lowry to justify letting go of what we would inevitably have had to offer in order to compete with the outstanding NJ package.

Utah was going nowhere this year with Williams at the helm, and Williams may have been overrated playing in the thin mountain air and having Boozer for an extended period. Also, his diva behavior in regards to Sloan would not have helped us retain Adelman or attract a veteran coach.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm sorry, I'm not on board to trade Kyle Lowry, just YET.

I'm not exactly convince that Williams or Paul, would be much of an upgrade over Lowry. Because unlike Brooks, Kyle is the complete PG. He will defend, rebound, shoot, pass, get the occasional steal, etc. I mean his all around game within the last month or so, has been on par and on occasions better than Paul and Williams. Lowry has flat out been playing at an All-Star level. A clear top 10 PG...

The only thing, and I mean the only freaking thing Lowry has to improve on is creating his own shot. But even in that department, Lowry still manages to get his shot off in clutch situations!

All I am saying is that at his price tag, age and production level, I don't think either Paul or Williams are enough of an "up-grade" to justify trading a ton of assets in return for them.

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

A lot has been made of Lowry's shooting improvement this year. I remember reading somewhere that in practice, Lowry was always the most effective 3pt shooter. That tells me that Lowry always had the ability to shoot the 3pt shot, but maybe Lowry just needed to build his confidence up and know when to let it fly during a game. Now that he's a starter, he's got that confidence that he won't be yanked back to the bench if he doesn't make the shot and is more comfortable taking it.

I think our biggest need is an effective big with size still. Trading for Paul for a year doesn't solve that problem, unless people want to follow him here, hoping for some easy dunks.

1 person likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn, Leeb, that's better than the dream I had where I slept Scarlett Johansson! Can't see that realistically happening, but I like it.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Take the homer glasses off.Lowry is a middle of the pack pg. Williams is elite talent and player and a huge ugrade. Its like comparing a guy who can occasionaly get 20 to a guy who averages 20. Lowry has his strong points, but i think with the minutes you see he's an average defender and doesnt get to the line like people thought. Wiliams can do a whole lot more than lowry and its no even close.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thanks for the follow-up responses, Clutch.

13. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

not sure if srs

14. Beavis

Beavis Member

now you guys see why Scola and Martin are bad contracts. They are not superstars,and they prevent the rockets from having the cap the get superstars.

Couple that with morey always getting 3-6 million guys that just rot on the bench,like thabeet,twill, brad miller, hill,demarre,re-signing yao and thats like 20 million right there on end of bench role players.

Now the rockets suddenly want cap space to pursue williams and howard and paul. really? should have though about this last summer before forking out 50 million to scola. Scola is a nice contract now but in 2015 it will be a nightmare. What team wants to take on another 4 year salary like that for a guy that will be 35ish.?

The core should be lowry,lee,patterson,budinger and thats it. Id even let Hayes walk this summer to set up space next year for Howard.

It may take another year of "playing bad" aka tanking just so they can have ENOURMOUS cap space in 2012 with lee,lowry,patterson,budinger still on the payroll.

Problem with Morey is he wants to win now. The rockets will probably keep thabeets hold, match budinger to a huge contract, resign an injured yao to 5 million, and still have brad miller on the books. There is NO WAY this team will have cap space for Dwight or Deron or Paul. It will take "gutting" the team to do it.

Assets? Thats overrated. Bosh,Lebron,al jefferson, were traded for something called a TE. Basically nothing.You need cap space to create this TE ,Rockets wont have it. Deron was traded for a supposed stud in favors + nets first round. Rockets dont have that kind of assets.

So, the dream of getting Paul and Dwight will not happen. Dallas could do it because Cuban constantly boosts his players value talks to the media about how Beaubois is god LOL plus dallas wins so that also improves players values.

We would need to package lowry/budinger for paul(assuming paul wants to come here which i doubt).....then HOPE that dwight still loves Courtney lee,paul and we can somehow trade martin/picks for dwight...I dont see it happening. Unless Morey guts the team now, keeps chris paul/lee/patterson and has cap space for dwight howard in 2012. But,keeping those role players like hayes/yao/thabeet/twill etc will prevent any of this.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If the Rockets are going to move Lowry for an upgrade at the PG spot , make it one who has thoroughly outplayed Lowry - not one who Lowry has thoroughly outplayed.

CP3 is a very good PG but I dont see him being the dominant force on a championship roster - He cant dominate a game offensively like a D Williams or a D Rose , he needs the other players around him to make plays for.

He's a traditional PG rather than this new breed of bigger more athletic PG's capable of taking over a game.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The 5th year of Scola's contract has only a partial guarantee. Try and keep your facts straight. In my opinion, Luis is a bargain.

http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/18646624684

17. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Luis's contract is a bargain, some people are just ignorant. According to ESPN, his contract is the third best value for a non-rookie contract in the entire NBA.

1. Lamar Odom: two years, $17.1M
    2. Steve Nash: two years, $22M
    3. Luis Scola: four years, $36M
    4. Rajon Rondo: five years, $55M
    5. Dorell Wright: four years, $11.5M
    6. Ray Felton: two years, $14.5M
    7. Louis Amundson: two years, $4.6M
    8. Paul Millsap: three years, $24.3M
    9. Ray Allen: two years, $20M
    10. Monta Ellis: four years, $44M
    11. Josh Smith: three years, $37.5M
    12. Jared Dudley: five years, $19.1M

Scola and Martin's contracts are reasonable and not keeping us from getting superstars. And we could easily shed either one if we needed to because they are so reasonable. If anything that lineup with Lee, Budinger, and Patterson that Bevis suggested would do nothing to attract a superstar.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, Deck ... to be honest, I had forgotten about that.

I do think though that his contract hurts him in that it makes it so only teams ready to win now are going to be interested in him. Maybe I'm wrong. The new CBA could say a lot, but I have to think teams that need a jolt (bubble playoff teams on up) would be the ones interested in him.

On the flip side, everyone would be interested in Patrick Patterson. So it makes you wonder -- the Rockets could really go any way. They could keep Scola and trade Patterson, especially if they're getting a superstar in that trade or another.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The talent discrepancy between Lowry and an elite PG, like Deron Williams or Chris Paul, in the NBA is the smallest of any other position on the Rockets.

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I disagree on that, that would be Kmart imo.

Martin I think though is the smallest discrepancy simply because there aren't enough superstar SGs to go around. You got Wade, Kobe, and maybe Manu (obv these 3 guys are going no where), and then who else @ SG is a LOT better than Martin. I honestly think for the price we are paying Kmart he is the position we have no need to upgrade.

Many PGs are better and seem to be available: CP3 or Deron would make the Rockets from a marginal playoff team to a 4-6 seed, imo. There are some coming out of the draft who could be really talented, there is Rubio who has a lot of potential, then with that there are another 5+ who are way better than Lowry (Nash, Rondo, Wall, Rose, Joe Johnson, Kidd). I'm sure there are more.

If we can add a superstar PG, convincing a Dwight Howard or another Superstar to demand a trade here would be a lot easier, and I believe Williams is NOT gonna be traded, Nets owner has a lot of money and wants to be good, so he isn't giving up a superstar. That leaves Paul, and CP3 + Dwight would be SCARY. If CP3 can make Tyson Chandler into a scoring force, imagine all the alley oop craziness he would do with Dwight.