1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] What we learned from the Asik trade that wasn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Dec 21, 2013.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Fair point to all who have pointed this out.

And to be clear, I'm not bashing DM or anything. Dude's an awesome GM. And in his position, I can certainly see why they didn't trade him over the summer.

And yes, absolutely, still time to pull a rabbit out of a hat... which he is incredibly good at doing.

But TO DATE, it hasn't gone smoothly. For the second time in as many years appears to be talked into something by McHale that doesn't work (first Royce White, then the Twin Towers experiment), then once it is obvious it won't work (because it just won't, because of Asik, or whatever), the process by which he tried to "auction" him off seemed to have failed.

But yes, the fall back option of keeping him, hoping he becomes a professional isn't a bad one and there's still time.

For what it's worth, Howard+Asik with both playing any significant minutes should have obviously been a no-no from the start. They clash SO SO MUCH both offensively AND defensively. Asik as a 2nd unit guy, getting 15-25 mpg burn a night, mostly without Howard on the floor, does make sense.. and theoretically might more-son in the playoffs...if Asik would have cooperated.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This is why I said in a earlier post that I was scratching my head a bit when the teams supposedly interested in Asik were all/mostly lotto/rebuilding teams. These teams are the LEAST likely to part with their picks and yet, this was the stated return Morey wanted.

Contending teams that are one player away and Asik is that player (in their perception) that puts them over the top are the type of teams that would more likely send out pick(s) now for Asik in order to win now.

3. basketballholic

Up to this point, nothing has gone smoothly, from the pursuit of Dwight 2 years ago, to the wait-and-see signings of Asik and Lin, to the overnight trade of Harden, to the signing of Dwight outright.

NBA basketball ain't about things going smoothly.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think the best we can hope for at this point is a player that was drafted high but has disappointed, and a mid 1st rounder.

Something like Kanter and GSWs 2014 1st from Utah or MKG and Detriot's 2014 1st from Charlotte.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

McHale and the coaching staff wanted to draft Tyler Zeller.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rox need to hop on a trade quick for a stretch 4 or backup C/SG IMO, with West's injury, perfect storm taking place. We can do this!

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the recent unfortunate news with the likes of Horford, Lopez, Bynum, and Westbrook probably shows that Morey was wise not to make a trade at the "self-imposed deadline."

Some of these news may make the Asik trade market more favorable, some may make it less so and others may not have much of an impact on the market. Still, the point is that things happen every day in the NBA that changes teams' motivations. If all that Morey forwent in not making a deal by December 19/20th was the certainty of getting Bass, Lee and a lowish pick, it's not that much of a price to pay in exchange for the unknown.

As far as what exactly the recent news might mean to the Asik market. I don't think that it is likely to make ATL more amenable to trade Millsap for Asik. Making the trade would be plugging a hole at C by creating a new, possibly even bigger, hole at PF.

What I think the Horford injury creates is an interesting opportunity at a 3-way hold-up. Specifically, remember that (as a result of the Joe Johnson trade and then the Pierce/Garnett trade) (1) Atlanta owns the higher of their own 2014 pick and Brooklyn's, and (2) Boston owns the lower of Atlanta's 2014 pick and Brooklyn's.

Horford's injury will probably cost Atlanta a decent # of wins over the rest of the season, making their pick a better one-- not a high lotto pick, but still more valuable than it otherwise would be in what is perceived to be a strong draft.

If Houston (or another team) is to provide extra present talent to Brooklyn for mostly future assets, Atlanta will most likely end up with a crappier 1st round pick than they would have (or Boston will in the unlikely event that Atlanta ends up worse than Brooklyn). If Houston is to do this for Atlanta, then Boston will most likely end up with a crappier 1st round pick.

So, if I were Morey, I threaten to trade, say, Lin and Asik to Brooklyn for Pierce's expiring contract + a pick in the distant future unless Atlanta gives me something better. And then I'd threaten to trade Asik to Atlanta for some combo of filler contracts and draft picks unless Boston gives me something better.

Not sure if it'll work-- Maybe these teams don't think Asik (or Lin) is all that helpful to winning, maybe they don't care about the draft order that much. But at least it seems to be some extra incentive to these teams.

8. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

so is asik actually injured or just sitting out? im assume its the latter at this point, confused

9. sweetcat

sweetcat Member

We reviewed an important point of Marketing 101 . Sell a product when its value is higher , don't try to boost it ;)

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Injured. Not expected back for a while. Rockets have been very vague about it.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets were #1 in pace last year, so those numbers are inflated.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Fixed.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Really though, is he even in Houston?

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This needs to end in the next two weeks before it becomes frustrating IMO. Anyone that wants to believe he is injured because Feigan said so..... Fair enough, I just disagree.

Ultimately our third or fourth best asset/player has only contributed to losses (by not being around). We can't let this ride until the trade deadline because we are afraid of injury.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i'm confident morey will get a better deal for him than all the rumored deals a few weeks ago thanks to all the latest injuries from irving, lopez, horford, and bynum situation.

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If Feigan was trying to move him, he's not making his client very marketable. Either he is indeed plagued by a mysterious knee-swelling, or he is making it up because he demands a trade. Next season is a contract year for Omer and I believe if this was his agent's doing, there are better rumors to start then a defective knee for your 7-footer. I believe it is hurting his ability to be traded.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe Morey called off the trade because Asik couldn't pass a physical :eek:

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn't know columnists from the Houston Chronicle have the ability to trade players from the teams they write about. ;)

It does sound like his knee injury is indeed legit, and the Rockets were forthcoming about this even when he was being shopped so they must not have thought it was anything that will hurt his value. However, the longer he stays out of the lineup and the longer his knee keeps on having issues, the more GM's will avoid putting up any decent offer for Omer. It will indeed kill whatever trade value he has if he has any left.

If the best Morey could get for Omer was the crappy contracts of Bass & Lee (doing Boston a favor by taking them) & a mid to late first rounder I think its safe to say that Omer Asik has little to no trade value currently.

If Omer & his agent want both to be moved & to get a new big contract in 2 summers he needs to -

-Prove that he is healthy by playing ASAP
    -Shut up with the trade demands and play along

As long as he can't prove either of these things, the trade value will probably continue to be horrible.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is injured but I think it's not major and he is being held out longer for whatever reasons

20. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Would love to get Deng, he is what this team needs Badly .