1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Video: Full Daryl Morey 2016 Post-Season Press Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's delusional. I've supported him about as long as I can at this point. If the majority of this roster comes back and they try to do the same damn things next year I can honestly say that I'll be done with the Rockets. The rest of the world isn't painting them as a dysfunctional team because of free agency, they are doing it because THEY ARE A DYSFUNCTIONAL TEAM. Anyone with a lick of sense can see that. I truly hope he doesn't actually mean a lot of what he said in that interview, because if he does it's crystal clear now what the real problem is.

1 person likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I caught that too. The Spurs since 1993(when Les bought the Rockets) have had John Lucas, Bob Hill, and Gregg Popovich as their coaches. The Rockets have had Rudy T, JVG, Rick Adelman, Kevin McHale, and JB Bickerstaff. And odds are good they're about to add another to that list.

What really bugged me more than anything is how Morey keeps harping on how the Rockets have had so many winning seasons. Nobody gives a crap about 41-45 wins and late lotto picks or first round exits, Daryl. We've suffered through that for most of the past 2 decades.

I get that Morey is just spouting the company line which comes from Les. But it seriously concerns me that this is considered an accomplishment by ownership and management. To be blunt, this has been a pretty bad NBA franchise in terms of playoff success since 1997.

3. Rocketeer4Life

This. Morey is still trying to cover up/sugarcoat a lot of this team's problems. I hope he is doing it to lure free agents and will be willing to rebuild this team, will trade anyone, including Harden.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets GM Daryl Morey defends team, blames others for negativity

General manager fires back in defense of Rockets

Daryl Morey blames other teams for 'negative light' around Rockets

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey blames Cheke64 for teams collapse. Blames Clutch too.

6. TISNF

TISNF Member

Exactly my thoughts. He's delusional and full of ****. His rationale ("we played maybe the best team of all time. ") made little sense. The ten year track record made little sense.

He may be smart, but man is he blatantly full of **** in public.

1 person likes this.
  7. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Why can't Morey talk to Howard?

First he said that Dwight hasn't advised of his decision to opt out.

Then he goes on to say he can't talk about Howards future until July 1.

What am I missing?

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If he said there is never a chance JBB will be head coach next season, can he be a GM? u should learn to understand the real meaning from his words

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You mean you didn't expect him to be negative, tell everyone that they suck, that jbb is out, and then hope to attract free agents? Hahaha... Rookie.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

u guys consider NBA management too easy. In fact, it's a venture management, some teams win, some teams lose, GS had lost almost 10 years before last year's champion, LA has lost 3 years, and others?

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Warriors stunk for years, but they were stockpiling young talent tthrough the draft. Look at where they're at now. The Lakers are doing the same thing.

Maybe instead of bragging about all of these "winning" seasons that have amounted to absolutely nothing, Morey and Les can come up with a long-term plan to finally build a title contender. They're gonna need it when all the big name free agents reject them this summer.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

It seems les n morley don't believe in young talent as much as lets try to land big names every season route. He surely must have been deflecting blame here, no way he means all of what he says...or else he needs to go!

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

exactly. saying "everybody hates each other so stay away free agents and also, all you guys under contract, i don't like any of you and will do whatever i can to trade you" isn't what any gm is going to say in any of these interviews. this is just pc prattle for the media because he has to do it.

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

NBA is a business union. Champion is every team's target, but it's not only target, Any boss and his management staffs should find a balance between hunting for champion and earning money.
    Money is a good management, of course, he wants to hunt a champion, but he should also earn money for his boss

16. ipa

ipa Member

I don't think there is a RIDICULOUS contract you can give durant...

I think you give him the max or supermax and hope he chooses you...

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

To continue on this point, here is the Rockets playoff record since 1997:

1997-1998: Lost in 5 games (W L W L L) to Jazz
    1998-1999: Lost in 4 games (L L W L) to Lakers
    1999-2000: Did not make playoffs
    2000-2001: Did not make playoffs
    2001-2002: Did not make playoffs
    2002-2003: Did not make playoffs
    2003-2004: Lost in 5 games (L L W L L) to Lakers
    2004-2005: Lost in 7 games (W W L L L W L) to Mavericks
    2005-2006: Did not make playoffs
    2006-2007: Lost in 7 games (W W L L W L L) to Jazz
    2007-2008: Lost in 6 games (L L W L W L) to Jazz
    2008-2009: Won in 6 games (W L W W L W) beat Trail Blazers
    2008-2009: Lost in 7 games (W L L W L W L) to Lakers [Semi-Finals]
    2009-2010: Did not make playoffs
    2010-2011: Did not make playoffs
    2011-2012: Did not make playoffs
    2012-2013: Lost in 6 games (L L L W W L) to Thunder
    2013-2014: Lost in 6 games (L L W L W L) to Trail Blazers
    2014-2015: Won in 5 games ( W W W L W) beat Mavericks
    2014-2015: Won in 7 games (L W L L W W W) beat Clippers [Semi-Finals]
    2014-2015: Lost in 5 games ( L L L W L) to Warriors [Conf Finals]
    2015-2016: Lost in 5 games (L L W L L) to Warriors

I'd say that the record pretty much speaks for itself. Since 1997, the Rockets have missed the playoffs 8 times, lost in round one of the playoffs 8 times, advanced to the semi-final round 2 times and advanced to the conference finals just once. Overall, I'm forced to agree with the Count on this being a bad NBA franchise in terms of playoff success. In the final analysis, that should be the only thing that matters.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Et Tub... I guess I'm unfamiliar with that one. Something about a tube in mouth??

Anyways... Yes I said I think the moves made this Summer will be more Morey undervalued player acquisition moves rather than what we all hope and what he hopes will be major free agent signings. Trust me I hope he proves me wrong but when focusing on the future, this is a likely and smart approach to plan B.

If Morey swings for the fences, misses and his plan B is another Lawson type of move (just get talent... F character and chemistry) I think that's the wrong approach and could get him fired. Also continuing to go with the exact same system that clearly the NBA has figured out how to expose on both ends.

I would have to think that he'd opt for finding undervalued guys like Battier, Scola, young Parsons, Hayes, etc rather than go this route but last year he showed his hand that he was opting to go the other direction taking gambles in the other direction.

When I talk about arrogance and stubbornness I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing all the time but if he's so locked in on his system & thinking we have a a stable culture that he can't realize the truth we all see easily than that's an issue. Arrogance and stubbornness often aligns with greatness in a lot of professions. But it can also lead to a steap downfall if you are arrogant and stubborn about something you are clearly wrong about or bad at.

This is a big Summer for Morey and the Rockets. I think even if we lose with plan A, we can still win if we pick the right plan B and Morey does what he would have done earlier in his career and picked the right plan B undervalued guys like the Scola, Hayes, Battier types to re establish the culture and get higher bbiq guys.

We will see.

1 person likes this.
  19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't want to hear Morey's words any more.

I don't trust Morey any more.

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the coverage. I'd appreciate it if you could give us a quick pan of the room. As one who doesn't have access, I'd like to see the facilities, see if they did any prep, crowd size, who was there up, put voices to faces/reporters, figure who asked the questions, etc.