1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Video from Day 2 of Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 1, 2008.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Adelman vid:

Luther at the PG position again?!? I thought that experiment was over. Luther, please defer to Brent as much as possible on the ballhandling duties.

And what was Mark Berman doing in the background? :confused:

Clutch, are you required to wear media credential ID? Just curious if it would say Clutchfans.com or 2 Roads Media. It just popped in my head when you were interviewing Rafer, maybe he saw your ID and he thought, "Oh so you're that site with all those punks talking trash about me and been counting the days for my replacement. Tell Mike James and DD I said hello...and I'm back!"

2. kwng

kwng Member

Great footage. Everytime any player went down during practice, it is always worrying.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

your the man clutch!

cant wait for the season to start

4. lifedustz

lifedustz Member

just heard on the radio 790 Yao Ming had sore foot, anyone know? :mad:

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

lurker? what is that?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Clip #2 shows the classic inverted post (double high) used by the Kings with Divac and Webber. A pyramid shape with two corners, two @ the elbows and PG out front. No one down low to start.

If the defense denies that pass to Barry (by overplaying the pass) he cuts backdoor, but Hayes has to read that as well and not go down low.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Clip #4 shows an example of how motion can get into a scrambling mess. See the last play on the vid (1:30 mark). Brooks gets a good baseline pick for a backdoor pass but fumbles it. After that, the whole possession breaks down as no one seems to know where to go from there (to regroup), and it becomes a playground instinct possession with no chemistry.

Question coaches have to ask themselves is how often does their system result in a busted play like that. Set offenses (while predictable for the defense) are also predictable for the offense. Do they have less busted plays than a motion read and react offense that relies on the players making the same reads.

Motion offenses can be very artistic and very fragile. Pounding it down low or running PnRs equates to a brute force, keep-it-simple-stupid approach. Beauty is, we have the King's coach plus a brute force weapon that the King's never had.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This might be the best post you have ever had on this BBS....well spoken sir.

A big Hooosah to you sir !

DD

9. GMNot

GMNot Member

This brings up, somewhat, the discussion Adelman has had in training camp about not having to call plays so the other team doesn't know what's coming. If he already isn't doing it, I think he should institute some "dummy" calls -- calls that the team knows means absolutely nothing -- to help confuse the other teams even more than the surprise of Adelman's offense. Of course, other teams might guess this from looking at tapes before playing the Rockets, but these calls could be rotated/created before each game. In the speed of a game, no one on the other side will have time to figure this out in time. Maybe this is asking too much of the players, but I think some form of this would be effective.

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

" Brent can handle the ball.. Luther can handle the ball" - Adelman

the latter made me... :confused:

11. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

No way can Luther handle PG duties on this team. That's why Adelman said he would play him with Barry so basically Barry would be the PG and Head the 2guard and vis versa on defense. I think that could actually work unless Francis makes a hell of a comeback...