1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Vernon Maxwell speaks openly about... everything

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Clutch thank you so, so much ! Oh gawd Vernon, these are memories that make being alive today something special. We luv you so very much. Clutch fans, there is no other.

"The Heart of a Champion!"

2. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Great interview. I still can't believe it was over 20 years ago Mad Max's three point shot in Game 7 against the Knicks sealed the championship for us.

Mad Max is definitely wiser and more humble now. It's great to see him speak about our glory years. From his perspective it also appears he finally gained some closure in Houston. Perhaps we'll see Vernon Maxwell in future Rocket games. Brings a tear to my eyes!

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Clutch asking him the questions in every true fans heart.
    Pulitzer prize. Hell Nobel too!

5. Asian Sensation

This picture is everything. EVERYYYYY THANG!

6. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

omg almost shed a tear its good to see him back . thanks clutch

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

This.

But I would add that it was a calculated risk. They did get called for illegal D a lot, but it seemed like George Karl's approach was run it all game long and dare the refs to call it. They didn't, at least not much, so he got away with it. Pissed me off to no end. :mad:

Great interview Clutch! Kudos for asking the questions we all wanted to hear answers to, and you got the best responses out of Max with those. (that was you asking about him leaving the Rox and playing Jordan, right?)

Really awesome to see him again, talking about Rockets glory days.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sorry but Elie would have been 2nd unit like he was in during first championship. Horry at PF, Glide at SF and Max at SF is a no brainer. Always needed Cassell to come off the bench for instant bench offense. Keep Kenny as starting PG, even though Cassell was the better player.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ugh... I may be forced to forgive him after this interview. Smh.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Barkley Trade killed it . .. . WORSE TRADE EVAH!!

Rocket RIver

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pssh... even Mad Max admitted that they could never beat Seattle.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Maxwell was awesome tonight, you could tell it meant a lot to him all the love he was getting. He spent a lot of time after the game with the fans in the Lexus lounge. Managed to see him and Ellie before they all disappeared to somewhere

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn. This was historic!

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Vernon Maxwell: Legend; Champion

15. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Yes we can if we play game 7 in the Summit.
    Home court advantage is everything back in the 90's

16. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

It was the scrambling defense that Seattle played that threw the rockets and other teams off. It was for all practical purposes, an all game - constant zone defense. The scrambling defense /zone defense is is what allowed Seattle guards (Gary Payton) to get so many steals. They never truly committed to guarding anyone except Hakeem, and their guards were always in the passing lane. The zone defense was illegal in the NBA at that time. The refs just got tired of calling fouls, which is what allowed Seattle to get away with it. If the refs called a foul when Seattle was doing its scrambling zone defense, the opposing team would have shot free throws every time they went down the court because Seattle would have perpetually been in the penalty. I always felt Seattle and George Karl were cheaters.

Watching the Houston /Seattle playoff series in 93 was just heart breaking. They (we) were so close. So many bad or non calls by the refs. That 93 team was just awesome. So athletic, physical and strong. With Hakeen and Otis, there was not another front line that was as physically as strong as the Rockets except for the Knicks, and I don't think there was another team that was as athletic as the Rockets front line. Everyone knows about Hakeem. Otis Thorpe was a beast and would have been a perpetual all-star had he not been traded to the Rockets and sacrificed his stats playing alongside Hakeem. Few people remember that he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds a game before he got traded to the Rockets. Carl Herrera was an above average back-up. Robert Horry gave us at least one high-light real slam dunk per game. To bad Horry stopped driving to the basket and sat on the 3 point line after the 93 season.

Vernon Maxwell and Mario Elie were the heart of the team and just kept the team going. It was really disappointing seeing the team lose to Seattle in 93, but winning the Championship in 94 and 95 made it better.

Vernon Maxwell was crazy athletic and strong. If he had his head on straight, he would have also been a perpetual all-star. It scary to think how good Vernon could have been. With that said, I would still take a 50 year old Maxwell over a 25 year old Patrick Beverly. No way Patrick comes anywhere close to guarding Jordan and slowing Jordan down the way Maxwell did. Maxwell was just a warrior.

#96 Huricane, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We've been waiting 20 years for that interview. Thanks Clutch!

Love you Vernon! We'll never forget what you did for our team!

18. reliableman

reliableman Member

Favorite. Rocket. Ever.
    Olajuwon was the best of my lifetime -- no doubt, and Harden will probably beat everybody out as a personal favorite of mine in the long run.
    Mad Max was so amazing to watch. Loved/hated his attitude, but that was the fun part.
    We could use a prime Vernon Maxwell right about now!

19. ketchupNmustard

LoL Mad Max said "I just don't believe that punk."

I imagine that if YouTube, and other social media were around in those days, Mad Max would have been more of a legend than he is now.

People would have loved the clips saying "Jordan shut down!" "Mad Max shuts down Jordan" again. He wouldn't have ever needed that classic playoff series he wanted, and that would have been required in that day and age.

Vernon Maxwell is really my favorite "fallen rocket" next to Eddie Griffin, maybe favorite Rocket period. I stand by the sentiment that '94 wouldn't have happened without him.

20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Off topic a bit, but does anyone know why Kenny and cassel didn't attend ??