1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Training Camp Footage - Day 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2012.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

adjusting my ass, who says he will be playing at the two ever when the season starts

3 TO is unacceptable either way, plus he can't pass or shoot like Steve Nash so what the **** is your point.

Here comes the apologists

2. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

Wow, two practices and you are ready to bail on Lin already?

3. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

Nash is a vet,
    Lin is already much better then Nash or even Goran in their rookie years
    ha
    if u are trying to make me mad
    give up
    i´m one of most fammous debaters (dont know the word...lol) in ESPN board during Linsanity
    and i know yet , here always always bash the starter PG over back up

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Well, it's two practices and a summer of "work".

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think he hurt his knee going down one of the slides at Schlitterbahn.

6. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

got home like 5 mins ago...and at my door was my season tickets...big smile from ear to ear....im ready

7. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

As for why Lin is playing the 2 at times, I wondered the same. We've only seen a few minutes of the scrimmages, so not sure how much of it he actually played. I remember seeing a video of McHale talking about the initial conversation he had with Lin after the Knicks had decided not to match. I remember McHale saying that he told Lin that although he was going to be the one primarily running the offense (including doing a lot of pick and rolls), he needed to also learn to be a good basketball player in general, including playing off of other people, being in catch and shoot situations, etc.

So, I think this is one of the reasons why McHale put him at the 2 just to get him conditioned to playing off the ball. But I also think these scrimmages that we've seen so far allow the training staff to primarily determine who they're going to keep and also to get a feel for how the different combination of players work together. And in scrimmages that we haven't seen, Lin may have possibly been running some plays.

On a side note, I know that McHale (like many coaches) doesn't like to focus on positions so much (which is also echoed by Morey), as who they put on the court depends on the team they're playing, the players' skill set, and circumstances (e.g., at end of game situations where the goal is just focused on getting stops or scoring/drawing fouls, etc). So, he could have more than one player of the same position on the court at the same time. I remember in a pre-season game against the Spurs last year, he put Dragic and Lin on the floor together near the end of the game.

Like you, I can't wait to see Lin's off-season development either. But I think they're right now trying to acclimatize to each other and, imo, I also think Lin is someone who needs to be in real game situations where he comes to life (I've seen enough of him last year to not actually be worried). Personally, I wouldn't want him to do a lot of slashing and banging during these scrimmages and risk getting hurt before the actual season begins. Some of the other guys, however, have to step up/stand out because they're fighting for a spot. So, let's wait and see - the first preseason game is a week away. Can't wait!

8. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

He never liked Lin. He's missing his Dragic.

9. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Seems like they are just letting them play with no set plays. Playing in different position, I'm guessing the coaches wanted to see how everyone plays and will evaluate. Hopefully, they name the starters, so they can play together, run some set plays, and build chemistry.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, too bad that was all on Dragic. He chose to leave our team on a 4th year player option. Money was the same. Unlike Lin, Dragic left us hanging. That's all on Dragic.

Look, I don't hate Dragic, it's a business. But Lin chose to be here and Dragic chose to leave. I like Lin more simply for that reason.

11. sidestep

sidestep Member

I think the purpose is more to see what Machado can do at the 1, than to see what Lin can do at the 2 per se. Since there is uncertainty about the backup PG lineup, it makes sense to create a situation that lets you check out Douglas and Machado playing the point. I seriously doubt Lin will actually play a lot at the 2 spot in real games.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah master debater, didn't address any of my points

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

not really, I didn't see much from him in the footage so I won't judge.

I was merely responding the guy who said it was acceptable for Lin to make 3 TO's a game because Lin is adjusting to playing shooting guard and that Steve Nash also makes 3 TO's..

Didn't surprise me tho to see the LOF's jump on my throat and bringing up Dragic because I didn't compliment Lin.

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I can't wait for the 10th.

15. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Exactly, it's not like the team let him go, he chose to go for the better deal. I don't fault him, but to not like Lin because Dragic is no longer here is just unfair to Lin.

16. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

We're not seeing Lin go to the basket much at all except for that one play in these scrimmages. I think that's where he shines. So perhaps they are telling him not to much of that as you said so he doesn't risk getting hurt.

17. delishman

delishman Member

Yeah Jeremy Lin is terrible. I'm glad we cut him and kept Flynn. Training Camp is everything.

18. acjeitherocket

thx for the vids clutch!!!

19. King Boo

King Boo Member

All the players that averaged over 3 turnovers per game last season:

1 Deron Williams 4.0
    2 John Wall 3.9
    3 Kevin Durant 3.8
    4 Steve Nash 3.7
    5 Rajon Rondo 3.6
    6 Russell Westbrook 3.6
    7 Jeremy Lin 3.6