1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Top 5 Teams For Rockets To Plunder in Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 3, 2009.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

How is Amare's eye? Last time I read about him, his doctor said he could very well be blind in that eye for the rest of his life.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Worth mentioning is that "LeBron to Brooklyn" is just not looking likely at all. The Nets dont' go anywhere unless they have an arena, and the Brooklyn arena project (the Atlantic Yards development) has been on life support since last summer - there is literally no money to build it, despite what Ratner might claim about "being ready to break ground". THe only way it goes through is if he's somehow able to get his money on federal stimulus money, but that's a real roll of the dice, and I don't think ther's time to build an arena in Brookly between the time he gets the financing (on the off chance he gets it) and offseason 2010.

what that does re: Carter/Devin Harris etc I don't know.

3. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch, what about Tracy + Brooks + Landry for Nash + Richardson? I like this one more than STAT + Barbosa.

4. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

I wouldn't put it past Morey to land Stoudamire or Carter PLUS move into the lottery.

The man is wicked.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

clutch, thank you for the reply. if you're still reading this far into the thread, this is why i rank the warriors #1:

not only do they offer a slew of perimeter scorers (enough to replace tmac and ron if need be), but the selling point is that they also have one of the best shot blockers in the league in turiaf. the guy averaged 2.1BPG in only 21 minutes! turiaf is also quick enough to play alongside yao and brings a decent mid range jumper. if chandler (aka shot blocking) is the main reason you had the hornets so high, rethink the position of the warriors who have very attainable players at more than one position of need for the rockets.

i'm with you about ellis' contract scaring me off. he hasn't faired well as a PG either. the guy's i would want are crawford and turiaf. crawford is a guy who can really fill it up. he can really make teams pay from long range. a big plus is that he's capable of playing at the 1 which would help defend against bigger pg's or cause a mismatch against smaller ones.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Great Article.
    Thanks

Rocket River

7. worzel gummidge

Detroit. McGrady for a $23M TE.

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2009/06/draft_express_detroit_oklahoma.html

8. joesr

joesr Member

thats all Deke did....but he made impact...

9. supa

supa Contributing Member

We will need to look at 3 way deals also.

New Jersey gives up Carter and Hassell
    Houston gives up Cook and McGrady
    New Orleans gives up Chandler and a 1st this year

If Les is serious about paying the luxary tax we could pick up Chandler in a 3-way with New Orleans and New Jersey.

New Jersey gets McGrady- dumping Carter and saving 17 million next year

Houston picks up Chandler, Carter and a 1st this year. Shipping Hassel and Cook to New Orleans in the 3 way deal and using the trade exception from the Francis trade.
    Do they re-sign Artest also, pushing over the luxary tax limit?

New Orleans ships off Chandler and a 1st for 2 expiring contracts and save 4 million off the cap this year.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

for like a million, tyson makes like 10 though..

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fantastic Article Clutch

What I think we need is size on the front court. The playoffs exploited this weakness.

12. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Who would back up Scola at the 4?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like the points you have made,but will Amare be willing to play with Yao? Is he going to fit in with Yao's half court built game? The Suns probably might look elsewhere instead of trading with us since we are in the Western Conference like them.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

How about getting Redd/Sessions or Jefferson/Sessions from the Bucks for a package based on McGrady/Brooks, maybe toss in Landry if they really want him?

The problem is that Sessions is a RFA so if they wanted to do a S&T, isn't there some kind of rule where you can't do a S&T as part of a bigger deal?

Could we possibly do two separate deals by agreeing behind the scenes?

Something like McGrady + fillers for Jefferson or Redd alongside Brooks/Landry for Sessions? Is this scenario impossible?

15. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

It seems I like the Phoenix trade..Nash/Barbosa...I'm afraid of acquiring players w/ 'injury' written all over them -> Chandler or Amare. Scola's backup will come from the draft if that happened..

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Just throwing it out there . . . complete speculation, and not sure I'd even consider it . . . but in the mold of a "Chris-Paul-and-every-bad-contract" scenario, would you make the following trade if you were Daryl Morey:

Rockets trade:

Tracy McGrady
    Aaron Brooks
    Brian Cook
    Brent Barry
    Joey Dorsey

to Indiana for:

Danny Granger
    Troy Murphy
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Jeff Foster

Basically, the Rockets would be giving up T-Mac, Brooks and all of their other expiring contracts in exchange for Granger and a collection of the Pacers' worst contracts. Even though Granger's contract contains a "Poison Pill" provision (which expires on July 1), the Rockets could make this trade even before July 1. (I'm pretty sure that Brian Cook can be traded before July 1 if he first officially exercises his player option, but I am not 100% sure on that.)

The Rockets would basically be taking on a total of $34.3M in salary for 2009-10, while only sending out $27.6M. The Pacers save $6.7M in 2009-10, $34.3M in 2010-11 (hence, why the Pacers would do this deal), and another ~$9M in 2011-12.

The Rockets get a true potential superstar in Granger, along with a solid (if not overpaid) PF/C in Murphy and a hard-nosed rebounder in Foster. Having to eat the monstrously bad contracts of Tinsley, Murphy and (to a lesser extent) Foster would be price the Rockets would need to pay for Granger. Just like having to take on the contracts of Peja, Posey and Chandler would be the cost of getting Paul.

Again, I'm not suggesting that the Rockets actually do this deal. But if Clutch was going to mention the Pacers among the teams the Rockets could "plunder" this summer, it would probably take a deal like this to get Danny Granger.

Thoughts?

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Bima,

I'd do that in a heartbeat since the best player in the deal by far is Granger but would we be able to absorb that extra incoming salary without going into LT? If not, how would we get under?

Murphy, despite his bad contract, would be able to spread the floor similarly to the way Okur does for the Jazz and Lewis for the Magic. On top of that, he's a great rebounder and capable of playing closer to the basket. I've always liked Murphy's game.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i seriously doubt the Pacers is going to give up their cornerstone/Granger for anything other than a top 10 player no matter how many poisonous contracts they can get rid of. Another thing is that while Foster and Murphy have huge contracts, they are still serviceable and their contracts are anything beyond 3 years IIRC. Getting Danny Granger is going to take more than a huge expiring contract, Aaron Brooks, and trade fodder.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Best column ever, thanks Clutch.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lux tax isnt a dealbreaker, I believe that was implied in the article

in the past, Les has said that he would pay the lux tax for the right player(s)