1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Bev can start, but you have to let Lin play at least 30+ meaningful minutes if you are to get any value from him at all. Meaningful minutes means that a minimum of half the time he is on the court he is running the offense (as point guards do), otherwise, you are just relegating a rhythm player to a role in which he cannot possibly succeed.

Harden can be just as successful as a recipient of a pass as he is the initiator, and the ball movement of the Rockets has simply been better when Lin as initiated versus Harden for some reason or another (eye test).

If we're going to stubbornly play Bev for 35 minutes a night (a huge mistake IMO) and subbing in Lin to play garbage time shooting guard, then for gods sakes trade the guy and his 8M contract. No way we are getting value with the way we are using him.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This.

Conley was getting where he wanted against either of them tonight. Spacing was poor, Lin wasn't aggressive, something just seemed off. When our offense isn't firing its downright horsecrap.

Frankley I dont get why people wouldn't want Rondo. Yes, Rondo isn't a good shooter, all that, but life or death who is going to help win us a championship Rondo has proven it at every level. I'm much more inclined to have a Rondo/Harden/Howard core work it out as opposed to whatever charade we've got going on at PG.

3. thejeremylins

thejeremylins Member

I agree. The whole question of Jeremy v Patrick is pretty irrelevant right now since they are both playing mediocre basketball. I say kill thread. And moratorium on all posts about it. It's a red herring right now that's detracting from other conversations.

I'd like to see more ideas of who gets traded before the Feb shakeup. We all know something will happen, but whether it's another addition to the 3 pt shooting which we badly need or to backup Dwight or even a new pg, we definitely need something to pull us out of this slump.

Putting my faith in Daryl Morey's magic potions.

4. goyao11

goyao11 Member

At least a portion of the blame has to fall on the coaches. The coaches might not ask Lin to play timid or inconsistent, but when you get pulled the minute you make a bad play, you play timid and become inconsistent.

The coaching staff needs to set the standard when it comes to how the team offense and defense is run. They need to be able to control egos (i.e. reign in Harden's ballhandling duties and let him be a shooting guard) and dictate a style of play that will go far in the playoffs.

With the way the team is set up now (barring trades), Lin is the key to a deep playoff run. Harden/Howard/Parsons will get us most of the way there, but to beat the Thunder/Pacers/Spurs/Heat in a 7 game series, which is out ultimate goal, Lin needs to get involved in the offense. Our current lack of structure and discipline will not cut it.

5. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Shockingly pb plays more minutes when he doesn't play well. E.g 2-9, 1-11, 3-11 in the last 3 games

6. goyao11

goyao11 Member

I think most people don't believe we could actually get Rondo. If we could move some combination of Lin/Parsons/Asik for him, I would not mind at all.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Lin is a pathetic excuse for a point guard. AB should be 2nd string instead of him. Until we get someone better, Beverly is the best we have.

8. theangrycanary

exactly. The whole idea that Lin comes off the bench to play point while Harden and Bev sits almost never happens.

So trade him already. Its a total waste of money and time for everyone involved.

9. theangrycanary

Think about it this way.

If Rondo was forced to play off the ball and take spot up three's, how good would he be?

If Dwight Howard was forced to play a stretch four, how good would he be?

If Chandler Parsons was forced to play point guard how good would he be?

Players develop specialized skillsets over time that maximize their natural athletic and mental abilities.

10. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Spot on, at least in the case of Memphis. We looked lost on offense w/o the lanes clogged and 3 not falling. Really wish we'd starting looking to Dwight more when this happens -- not that he's Hakeem in the post, but he's definitely improved and against Memphis, seemed like lesser of 3 evils.

11. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

He was, but on last year's team playing pg pushing the potent uptempo game and ran these grizzlies off the court in blow out fashion. This year we regress to playing half court most of the time and fall right into the strength of the bruising defense of the Grizzlies. We can't slow down the game to play post ups and expect to beat them. Howard can't handle Gasol and Zbo's buishing presence, not even KD can.

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'm really confused as to why we are so focused on our PG situation when our problems clearly stem from other areas, namely:

1) Lack of bench production
    2) Inconsistent effort on defense
    3) The fact we rely on the 3 when we suck at 3 (at least right now)
    4) McHale

Beverly and Lin have both played well this season and I think their roles suit them fine - as Clutch has illustrated and the season has bore out, Bev fits best with our starting unit and Lin is extremely valuable bringing offense of a bench that has otherwise, outside of the ocassional Great Casspi siting, failed to produce.

There is a subset of posters here who clearly have an emotional investment in Lin, which is fine. I felt that way about Hakeem, I felt that way about Yao. But framing our current struggles, if you can call them struggles given our record, around the persecution of Jeremy Lin is silly. The issue is much larger. Jeremy is fine. Beverly is fine. Stop the madness.

5 people like this.
  13. PositivityDome

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!... BECAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO

14. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

one thing for sure. Beverley can't start anymore. this is enough of beverley.
    so disgusted at the rockets right now.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

Lin needs to be starting. or Brooks needs to be starting. Beverley can't start anymore. that's enough. too bad losses to the grizz..

1 person likes this.
  16. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

beverley isn't helping it either

17. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

that's an incorrect statement. Lin did well against many guards this year. so that myth is out the window

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

There was a thread where someone put up defensive stats of Lin compared to Beverly and the drop off really wasn't that significant. Maybe someone remembers which thread it was in?

19. MR. BEAN

MR. BEAN Member

Who is starting actually not a issue, cos this team is PG grave, no screen set for them, imagine if CP3 play here, every time he need ISO to get pass the defence first, can he still make good quality assists?

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

If we can fix no. 4, the first 3 may not be a problem. Well said tho. This PG war is ridiculous and a great distraction to what actually needs to fixed.