1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Someone please let Asik know its officially safe to come out of hiding now! He can run pick and rolls with Lin like last yr.

Start at 3:38
    [youtube]Z6yShJYeg04?t=3m38s[/youtube]

2. Flippin

Flippin Member

The player himself needs to provide consistent play not the other way around. At this level, even the player at the furthest end of the bench has to be ready to play. There's no time to develop anyone. What are the roles? Lin can play both SG/PG so what's the problem? If Lin can play consistently then his minutes will be consistent.

3. rocketblood713

Oh boy Clutch struck a nerve with this article lol ..dont be upset Lin fans its not like we dont want him we just want a mean ass dog at PG and thats what PB is

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Flippin

Flippin Member

There's no accusations. You simply need to glimpse at Jeremy Lin fansites and you will find racist and hate comments in domination.

6. pakattak

pakattak Member

You poor thing.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except there's 5 players on the court not just 1.

As has been said many times - Lin plays a game that is more similar to Harden than to Bev.

Lin is Harden's backup, not Bev's. That's why he doesn't start.

8. naesoon

naesoon Member

Let's see if Bev can play like how he did last night consistently and I will agree that he should start. If anything, this will just force Lin to play better and be ready for the play-offs!

9. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

If I can't see that he's better off the bench, I have to start a picket line??? Since when disagreement has to end up like that??? I am not harassing anyone. If you suggest that I have to start a picket line, you seem to be the one who are harrassing me.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ding ding ding...

We have a loser, er, winner...most irrational LOF...

Until the next one shows up.

Hell, even my wife, who never comes to this site, was telling me, "On the Facebook page for the Rockets, you always get 'McHale is holding Jeremy Lin back', and then there's 50 'likes'."

I told her, "You should see clutchfans web site."

(sigh)

The LOF'ers are probably running their own spreadsheets right now. They love stats (which is why this article probably dismayed them).

As to the part in bold: On January 15th I remember this web site was almost LOF free. Lin's fanbase basically went back to college classes.

Can't cut power to the Rice University campus to stop the LOF, though. Those I-phones will be whipped out, pronto!

#130 ROXTXIA, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. chen55

chen55 Member

It's irrational to keep two 15M/year backups, does that show the inability of the GM?

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Flippin

Flippin Member

We're tired LOF complaining on this board about Lin. This is a team site not a Lin site. If you have grievances, go somewhere else.

14. instantno0o0dle

i don't think its a big deal that Lin has to come off the bench. it doesn't necessarily mean Beverly is better just that his skill set is compatible with the other starters. That said 8m is way too much to be paying for a backup but since i don't think there's a market for Lin, not because of his skill level but because of his contract, I'm more than happy to have him come off the bench.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Great work Clutch. Thanks for finally stating in numbers what most of us know

Bev is definitely the better fit and probably the better overall player than Lin who should resume his rightful position as bench player.

17. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

Unbiased opinion (don't care either)....

But screw the stats....A: the sample size is way too small to make any determinations, and B: all of these stats heavily depend on whom our opponents were (different defenses, offenses, superior teams, inferior teams, Rox clicking on all cylinders some days, other days we suck etc etc) . All of the factors that went into these stats are way too volatile to make a determination for "who should be the starter". That said...

I like Bev. I like the dudes chippiness and the way he plays with a chip on shoulder, and I enjoy his defensive intensity. Yes he should be the starter, but not because of these weak stats....but because the dude simply balances out the offense. Think about it....of course PBev's play is gonna shine with the starters because he's expected to neutralize the starting point guard on the opposite team. Our defense has been lackluster at best this entire season with our starters, and great O starts with solid D. PBev provides that defensive spark, which in a lot of ways ends up positively affecting our O (turnovers, fast breaks, etc). Statistically, PBevs offensive numbers are actually lower than JLins per possession besides 3PM and that's with them both averaging the same playing time. PBevs defensive numbers are way higher though leading Lin in Rebs, Steals, and TOVs per possession (leads to more O for the team).

As for Lin, I hope he stays with us. He brings a different dynamic to the team. Heavily inconsistent play from a PG standpoint, but his scoring for the most part has been steady throughout the season. When JLin is on the floor with the second stringers, somehow the offense has just clicked better than it has without him in there. Then too, marketing has a lot to do with it. Yes, he's getting paid 8mil per season, but the team makes wayyy more than 8mil a year off of Lin. That's like a drop in a bucket in comparison. We've had higher ticket sales, and Lin is maintained a good grip on the Asian culture in Hou. If I'm an owner or GM, that revenue stream would not be something I'd want to give up unless the benefit of the alternative outweighed the cost and unless we get a third star for Lin, it ain't happening peeps. In all, Lin ain't the best, but he's a heck of a lot better than a bunch of 1st string and 2nd string PGs in the league. He provides a good balance between play and marketing for us.

Point is, everybody sucks some games, and everybody beasts certain games. When you do suck, that's why you have teammates to pick up the slack to get the win. Clutch, the foundation of your stats are good boss. I appreciate the effort, but the next time you run some stats, let me know. I'll be more than happy to crunch some numbers for you.

18. rocketblood713

Imagine all the likes lol

19. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

I have always supported this idea of supporting the team, but Lin deserved to be treated fairly.

20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

We're actually more tired of posters complaining about LOFs. This is a team site not a hate on LOFs site. If you have grievances, go somewhere else.

:p Sort of written tongue in cheek, but see? Others can do that too...you don't HAVE to make troll accounts to go bash on LOFs!

1 person likes this.