1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The James Harden Extension: A Salary Cap Perspective

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 10, 2016.

1. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

4th year is a player option!??!? This makes the extension even worse.

So it's about a 21 mill raise this year and next, 30 mill salary in year 3.

So basically you threw 50 million guaranteed for 1 extra year!??! Silly.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure but it's spread out. What are we gonna get for $10 mil next two years anyway?

And we won't have to worry about him asking for a 1 year deal like Durant did

3. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yep. This is why I really don't understand (for the Rockets, makes perfect sense for Harden to get paid) it. Basically you would have to gut the team, save Harden, Anderson, Gordon, and Capela. So you would be selling a team of 4 guys to a FA, when only 1 is a star (with obvious flaws) and then 3 role players with significant questions, if they play well, and potentially albatrosses if they don't.

This is the team for years to come and that sure looks like mediocrity to me.

4. Mr. Clutch

Talk to les. He seems to think hiring a "real coach" and signing a bunch of shooters makes us into golden state.

The plan was to try to get another star or two next to Harden. What happened to that

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what your goals are. If dollar and maximizing profits are the primary goal I have to agree with you.

If you are trying to provide stability, prove loyalty, and reward past performance it is not silly at all.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You don't understand the modern NBA huh?

7. Mr. Clutch

It's very unlikely he exercises that option

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't understand how some of you (and by some, I mean A LOT) don't understand the real reasoning behind this. It's not about the money. It's NEVER been about the money. It's about Harden committing his future to this team (in the short term), which would allow us to go out and try and pitch big name FAs NEXT off-season. Everybody knows that Harden can bounce in 3 years if he chooses, but the chances of that happening if the team is good is ZERO. His extension was for the message it sends as much as it was for the money he gets. PERIOD.

9. Mr. Clutch

That's right but it makes the signings of Ryno and Ego confusing because they pretty much make it impossible to sign a star next year

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's not confusing. He's not gonna want to stay with unproven young players. The team still has to stay in win-mode realm for Harden. Once you got past the Durant like studs the guys we signed were amongst the best free agents for a team trying to compete now.

11. Pete the Cheat

The trade winds seem to be blowing. Will be interesting to see whatever series of moves they try to roll out. The pessimist in me thinks the league has spread on dealing with Morey, so would take a stroke of luck/genius to acquire a major star with where we are at right now. But for every T-Will there is a Lowry

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

that's my point,you just gave him 50 mill for 1 extra year since he was locked up for 2.

13. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

i don't think you understand his contract.

THe "modern" NBA doesn't matter because you already had him locked up this year, and next year when the cap blows up even more.

So unless 50 million for one years saves you money, explain to me how this move adapts to the "modern nba."

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Is it really going to matter to FA if Harden may bounce in 3 years as opposed to 2?

We just witnesses what happened this summer. No one wanted to come, why would next year be any different?

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

oops misread your post. Why would he not opt out? I think the figure is around 32 mill? Conley just got 30 mil annually this off-season, 3 years from now you have to imagine Harden can get more than 32 mill, and would want a long term deal.

If he doesnt that means he's faded as a player.

16. Sanity2disChaos

Sounds like a one year rebuild. Fingers crossed.