1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

My guess is T-Willnot is another James White or Gerald Green...this is just a diversion to another so-so season.

2. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

anyway, we have to solve our roster problems first

When Yao and AB comes back, who should play and who should sit, this is the question we have to figure out, before another trade happens.

I believe it should be like this.

AB/Kyle
    Kmart/LEE
    Shane/Williams/Budinger
    Scola/Hill or hayes
    Yao/Brad or hill

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bima, u know ur my man 200 grand,lol. Seriously, i do like the player tracker thing. In football, pro personel guys do it all the time. I remember before sammy morris signed with the patriots, he said belichek had been wanting him since the draft. In fact, the pats tried to get him when he left buffalo when he signed with the dolphins. I get that and like i said, williams skills are perfect for what the rockets need. I hope morey has a tracker on thabeet because he can really be special defensively.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You do realize that the two guys you mentioned are busts because they have a low basketball IQ right? Williams have always been lauded for his basketball IQ and court vision. It is simply because he is so physically gifted that those other more important traits take a back seat. You want us to get a Kobe type player to vault us into contention? Awesome! Why don't you go and find a team for Morey who is willing to give up a franchise superstar. Stars don't grow on trees and it takes two (sometimes three) to tango.

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

is it just me or Clutch should write for the chronicles...?

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/101215-terrence-williams-excited-to-join-rockets

[rquoter]Terrence Williams Excited to Join Rockets
    Updated: Wednesday, 15 Dec 2010, 7:16 PM CST
    Published : Wednesday, 15 Dec 2010, 7:04 PM CST

MARK BERMAN
    Sports Director
    HOUSTON - New Houston Rockets guard Terrence Williams told FOX 26 Sports he can't wait to join his new team.

He is overwhelmed at how Rockets general manager Daryl Morey described him as having a chance "to be a great player and really be special in this league."

Williams was acquired by Houston from the New Jersey Nets in a three-team trade that also involved the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It means a lot," Williams said. "The fact that a team like the Rockets makes you feel wanted makes you comfortable and gives you confidence so that you can go out there and do your job."

The Nets took Williams with the 11th pick of the 2009 NBA Draft out of Louisville.

"I feel like they got a steal," Williams said referring to the fact the Rockets gave up a lottery-protected 2012 first-round pick. "Not to be cocky and arrogant, but I don't feel I've been able to prove myself in this league yet.

"With the minutes I've gotten I've not been able to show what I can do."

In ten games this season Williams averaged 6.7 points.

Williams is equally pleased with the fact that the issues he had with the Nets haven't affected the Rockets' judgement.

Williams had been punished by the Nets for being late to meetings and practices.

"We judge players by how they are here," Morey said. "We have a lot of respect for the Nets and Coach Avery Johnson. That's between them and Terrence. We've only gotten great reports prior to that from (Louisville) Coach (Rick) Pitino. Whatever happened in Jersey happened there and there's going to be a fresh start here."

Music to Williams' ears.

"I'm a man and I made mistakes," Williams said. "I was late to things, but in real life it should have been a fine and a slap on the wrist. I was sent to the D-league and that was my punishment."

Williams blew up the NBA Development League averaging 28 points, 11.3 rebounds and 10.7 assists.

"I want to show the Rockets I'm not a bad guy," Williams said. "I don't give an attitude to the coaches and I don't second-guess coaches. They are the coaches for a reason and I'm a player for a reason."

Williams knows the stories out of New Jersey may have hurt his reputation inside the NBA and out.

"You can't worry about that because everyone is going to have an opinion, but at the same time it does bother me," Williams said. "I know that everyone who knows Terrence Williams will tell you he is a great guy. There's an old saying, don't judge a book by its cover.

"I have tattoos and I play cocky on the floor, but I was raised by a single mother who taught me not to take nothing from nobody."

At the same time Williams said it's important that his new fan base understand what he's all about.

"I want them to know they are going to get a player who plays hard on every possession, loves his teammates and loves the fans and I'm willing to meet them all," Williams said.

Williams also has a message for the fans he is leaving behind in New Jersey.

"I still love them," Williams said. "No matter what they have been behind me on Twitter.

"I want them to know sometimes decisions are made when you don't have a say in it."

As for his new teammates, there's one in particular he's watched closely for years.

"I study Shane Battier tapes on how he plays defense, just can't be like him," Williams said.[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  7. Garner

Garner Member

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

^^ Very encouraged after reading that, I expect some big things from the guy over the next few years.

#128 rockets934life, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Can't wait to see what this guy has to offer.

10. Htown's2kFinest

There a Rocket's article about the trade where Morey mentions that he was a top target for them in the draft:

Full article here.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how refreshing to hear that . I'm excited about TWill!

12. TheresTheDagger

Does anybody think that this guy could be running the point somewhere down the line? He has great size, obviously can distribute the ball and can break a defense down. Not to mention his defensive abilities would be a serious upgrade over AB. About the only thing AB has on him right now is shooting touch but that can be coached. In the Wikipedia entry about him, (yes I know) it was mentioned that the Nets head coach thought this might be his best position.

AB's value right now could make him expendable in a deal to upgrade elsewhere. I have a funny feeling the Aaron Brooks days as a Houston Rocket may be numbered.

Also found this gem of an article. Maybe Williams is not the knucklehead he was earlier...

Good Advice

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If he settles down and looks to make the efficient pass instead of the flashy pass, then sure anything is possible. He seems TO prone because he likes to make JWilliams type passes.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

thats so diabolical! morey is the 21 century machiavelli, which also means morey is the 21st century tupac.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well it was refreshing until a couple of paragraphs later he says it should have been a fine or something which totally contracts the rest.

DD

16. mrjuandiego1988

will he see playing time vs memphis??

17. Garner

Garner Member

Just got off the phone with Morey, it all depends on his physicals and how Adelman wants to handle integrating him into the team. Morey sounded very excited.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

To be honest, I agree with him. That being said, it may turn out to be the best thing for him long term. If he follows through with everything else he said then he'll fit in nicely.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

How so? He was right about that. Players that commit his infractions generally get a fine and suspension. The D-League is not a place you send people to punish them, but to help them develop. What Johnson did and he was actually criticized for it as it cheapens the entire D-League program.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - ok.

DD