1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Day T-Mac Lost the City of Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

DD ban this mofo!!!

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

He is Tracy cousin, defending his family that is all.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He's in his 13th year and so far this season has:

1. Told the media he was playing in a game when he knew he was not
    2. Put on his jersey for the game when he knew he was not activated
    3. Posted a video complaining that the organization was keeping him in the dark

It doesn't appear he is growing at all.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I'm on it !

;)

DD

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

For me, it was. That game as a whole was an absolute turning point. One of the unfortunate things about Clutch's article is that he makes it sound like it was just two plays in that game. It wasn't. It was the whole game of T-Mac standing back, doing zip on offense, throwing the ball back when he got it, and watching the squad play 4 on 5 - I would have rather had Cook or Adam Morrison out there than that McGrady. I defended McGrady before then, saying he was injured, it'll be fine, he needs time to recover. After that game? No, I was done with him.
    If McGrady comes back, great, get out and play if you want. But I don't really care if Adelman sits his butt out the whole season, and I don't want him back here after this season.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

DD has that ability? :eek:

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Yes your right! Tracy lost me long before that night or that play. I am so proud of my Houston Rockets that there's just some players I would not want to put on a Rockets uniform, and Tracy is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone on that list. The day he is gone and this Tracy era is over is the day we Rockets fans can rejoice. I might even throw a party and celebrate as if we've just won the championship!!! Hip Hip Hurray

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Love can be shown in different ways. The McGrady I saw playing vs. the Utah Jazz in the 07-08 playoffs was someone who truly loved the game. You can question his mental toughness all you want, there's no denying that. Events such as this surely contributed to the psyche of someone who takes things to heart - http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topi...scarred-with-the-sudden-losses-of-loved-ones/ . He's never going to be as flamboyant or devoted to the game as Kobe, so the comparisons are pointless.

TMac is who TMac is, and you have to work with that.

But if you truly want to push the Rockets to their potential instead of being content with the mediocrity of the little rascals, you have to give the guy with a vendetta a chance. Because the "chemistry" that Dave_78 talked about has us in a dog fight for the privilege of another first round exit. Like 18 year old girls who play dress up in dorms and get hammered every other night - we're cute, but pointless.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

How far did we get in the playoffs with McGrady (a younger version without a surgically repaired knee)?

10. blink

blink Contributing Member

im not a tmac supporter or hater, just a defender of those who are wrongly accused.

Clutch grazes briefly on tmac's highlights since his trade to the rockets. One sentence for his 13 in 33? One sentence for "Ride a Mavs pony" dunk? But hey, look at what the article is about, you wont see Clutch stressing anything positive that tmac has done for this team. In fact, you wont see the media stress anything positive about tmac because it has a short memory.

For a while, it was only tmac being the aggressor, the only person getting to the free throw line, and generally the only person that didnt fit into a 1 dimensional role on the team. i remember a tmac that, for many games, was the sole reason we won at all because we had david wesley, ryan bowen, scott padgett, and moochie norris. because of that, im not going to completely shun tmac for a few antics.

And i would like to know how you can call him a quitter over a few games where he was, admittedly, not being a team player. Did no one watch the Dallas/Jazz series? That game 7 vs the Jazz, he was completely exhausted and played to his limit. The dude cried because he had no more to give. Is that a quitter? Or how about considering him having articular damage to his knee and undergoing a Rockets' backed medical procedure. No one watch that 31min video where the doctor explained what happened? He put in the work, much like he did this off season, to get back into the game so he can play with Yao and Artest. How is that a quitter? He was excited to play with Ron Ron. Sounds like someone that wants to play, not quit.

Kobe quit vs the Suns, b****ed about trading Bynum and went back and forth with the media about himself being traded. Kobe wasnt a team player either but anyone that follows basketball knows that Kobe loves the game and his work ethic is proof positive that he isnt a quitter. So how come no one still calls him a quitter? Because winning cures all but Tmac doesnt have a Gasol/Bynum/Odom supporting cast to win anything.

point being, tmac deserves at least one shot to show what he's been working on all summer and season. it would also be nice if there could be one positive thread (tmac passing video thread) without it getting **** on by tmac haters (tmac passing video thread)

11. Chronz

Chronz Member

I dont live in Houston, is this why I didnt think it was THAT big a deal?

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Nice article. I was hoping to forget about this point in Rockets basketball.. The Rockets did so well after that horrible display and continue to do well this year.. I was starting to forget this happened and his subsequent comments.

The Tmac fans should realize now why most are showing their apprehension.. What if this happens again? How many times have we been fooled? How many times can you tell someone "Next time will be better/different."?

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

That actually sounds more like McGrady. At least these guys put up a fight.

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

At least, seven.

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Nice write-up. I don't entirely agree, but it was a good read. I was actually expecting something like this much earlier.

Welcome him with open arms? No, but I'm willing to take a guarded approach to his return (if it ever happens--on the Rockets anyway).

Maybe he'll fit in. Maybe not. It seems like a worthwhile trade is unlikely, so let's see what he's got. I'm not sure TMac could do any worse than Ariza.

At the end of the day, it's sports. In sports there really is no such thing as a burned bridge. If fans can cheer for wife beaters, thugs, criminals, etc., I'm sure most fans can forgot about that ugly night in Toronto.

If he's still any good that is.

We'll see.

16. Honey Bear

How far did Kobe get without Pau or Shaq?

He's not expected to come in and be the man. But he's always going to be an x-factor/mismatch, and that's what gives you a real chance in the playoffs. Match ups make or break you. And if he plays well enough, you always want to put a guy like that alongside Yao and a very above average supporting cast next year.

But give the guy a chance, you'd have a terrible view of the world if you got to judge every human at his weakest point.

17. Honey Bear

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

My favourite line.

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We as fans, wish and hope that players change their stripes and it never happens. Tmac is the second coming of Ralph Sampson... He was Tmac in Orlando and the same Tmac in Houston. He's not physically or mentally equiped to handle the negative aspects of leading an NBA team.

I wish him well, but everyone can see that the Rockets have no intention of letting him showcase his skills (whatever those may be) to a prospective NBA team. It may garner more in a trade, however, I think Morey and Rick could care less. This is simply putting the professional rod to Tmac's backside.

20. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Yes I was very frustrated with T-Mac last year, but do we have to keep rehashing this old stuff back up?

We're in the middle of a new season here, if it doesn't work out on the court, we can try even harder to trade him. But lets at least give him a chance to see if he can help