1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: Salary Cap Implications of Exercising or Declining the T

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm fine with this...IF we can lock down our core before this happens. Everyone and their mom knows we could sorely use that third star at PF. Lamarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love are the two obvious names.

Chandler Parsons could make the same salary as Dwight for all I care, but it would hamstring us from that point forward of making any further trades or signings of anyone above the vet min/taxpayer's MLE. So, we have to be ready to commit to this future at some point. The question is, when? We are not good enough yet to do it. We need one more major piece.

I just can't envision a scenario where Parsons gets his fat contract before we make that one last significant addition. It's basically that ruins scene from Indiana Jones 1, slowly closing its door while our hat is sitting on the other side. We gotta pick up the hat first. We can't let the hat get away.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aydge

Aydge Member

Looking at the trend so far it looks like it may be over $14M

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

3. rocketblood713

If we lose Chandler man it will be like losing Scola all over again for me and im still not over the Scola lost lol

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That move would probably save money in the long run, but it also guarantees that the Rockets can keep Parsons if they want to. Letting him become an UFA opens up the possibility of losing Asik, Lin, and Parsons, and being unable to sign anyone in return.

5. deshen

deshen Member

I am surprised that some think Parson's contract would be close to max. not possible in rockets if it will happen. To have that happens, this team needs to reach WCF this year, which is very unlikely.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Give Rockets a deal? If you go by how Fegan operate with other teams, that's the LAST thing that will happen. If Morey pays "market value" for Parsons, it would be a gift from Fegan. We're talking about an agent that supposedly forced Washington to sign Martell Webster to $5mil/yr so they don't have to worry about keeping Wall. Yes, for the privilege of paying Wall $80mil/5yrs after half a season of star play, Washington had to overpay a 3-and-D guy most experts pegged as not being to great at the D part.

There's a reason why the Rockets had a bad relationship with Fegan prior to last season. Fegan is not exactly easy to deal with. But that's the price you pay to get a guy like Howard.

7. torocan

torocan Member

Athletes have a short career life. And Fegan will be telling Parsons that he needs to make as much money as possible now due to the risk of injury. If he ends up having a long career, he can always take a discount on his 2nd free agency contract.

Don't expect any discounts. What you really want to do is lock him in early versus later since you'll have control over his destination. If you let it got to UFA, you risk losing him entirely for nothing.

The more years Parsons plays well and establishes consistency, the more established his value will be in free agency. Not every team will pay a premium for potential, but most every team will pay for a player with an established track record.

Not to mention, trying to cheap out on Parsons for an additional year may work against the Rockets should it go to FA. Especially with the Rockets being well known for it's willingness to trade its players.

8. pnr

pnr Member

10M a year please!! But I have a feeling he's going to get a Batum-like contract.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks for pulling that up. For some reason I thought it was calculated a bit differently. Looks like 14 million in year 1 is about correct if signed to a max deal. 4 years 62 millionish possibly.

10. ryebread

ryebread Member

Parsons doesn't owe the Rockets anything. $7-8 million a year? That's a joke right? Go get your money kid, wherever that may be.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Even if Parsons enters UFA don't the Rockets still have his bird rights? It sounds like a great way to sign a near max player in the summer of 2015 and then sign Parsons. Over the cap, under the luxury. It might cost a couple of million more a season. Who knows which way Morey will go?

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Must keep Chandler Parsons no matter what.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Parsons becomes an UFA can't the Rockets pay him more than another team similar to the Howard situation with LA?

Secondly if that's the scenario what's the max contract amount for Parsons?

This is interesting, from Parson's perspective RFA gets you big money sooner but not as much as UFA a year later. He maybe willing to go along with the plan to go over the cap to resign him in 2015 to get the bigger bucks.

Also there is some loyalty here, Morey and Les provided him with some guaranteed money that a second rounder typically does not get. Parsons must appreciate the gamble the Rockets took on him and it's reasonable that he would pay that back by waiting until that next piece was added.

All that said it makes the most sense for Morey to move Lin and Asik this year for expirings or that third piece and then just go the RFA route with Parsons.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That's what I think he's worth. $10-11 mil per. But I agree that Fagan will be pushing for max money; especially because he's been playing on $800,000 for 3 years now. Would be a great player to exceed the cap for, after we've locked up Aldridge or Love in free agency.

15. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

at least people are admitting in this thread that we need a third star, and chandler is not it!! ding ding ding! if les pays parsons more than ten million a year plus adding a third star, i will crap in my pants.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Chandler parsons is the 3rd star on this team, he must be retained. I think he gets 12 mil a year

17. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Please don't crap your pants.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Parsons is the closest thing we have to a 3rd star. Either way, every good team needs a glue guy like Parsons.

19. jdjd

jdjd Member

Thanks Bima for bringing back a little bit of intelligence to the board. WE MISS YOU!!!

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

One side note.

Parsons is great but his unrestricted free agency year he well probably not be in the top 5 of free agents, which helps us a bit.