1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Terrence Williams reads you, but that doesn't mean you're right

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 21, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I never said we were...my point was there's no need to say it. It's like reminding a homeless person they don't have a home. I think they know that. Like i said, he didn't say it exactly like Lebron did, but you can tell that was his point. He was just more conscious about the possible backlash because the camera was right in his face." He doesn't have to care because his life is that of an NBA player and ours isn't. And it's fine and probably true, but the difference between us and a homeless person, is we have directly contributed to that life of his. We'll continue to do it because basketball and the NBA is bigger than Twill, so he can keep saying it, but don't expect people to keep quiet. Players aren't the victims here.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

For the first 6-8 weeks I think the fans WERE CORRECT in their assessment. Terrence brought a reputation over as a bit of a malcontent. Not really a BAD guy, but someone not focused on the same picture everyone else is.

Over time he is (seemingly) coming AROUND to doing the things he needs to do toward becoming a dependable player.

People will still not like HIS STYLE of doing it. (Lets be real, not many people take to changing "C's" into "K's"...) though he has to still be WHO HE IS. If he likes to talk trash or preen in front of a camera a little, he wouldnt be the first or LAST to do that. As long as it doesnt detract from his floor game.

3. makman

makman Member

Glad someone else spoke on it, why sit down in the middle of a scrimmage to discuss and why bring up the 9-5 if it wasn't intended to be a shot at those who are bashing him. It's childish and clearly a defense mechanism because a majority of the things he read on this board about him are probably true and he knows it.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Doesn't that sound exactly like something Twill would say to Clutchfans?

I think it's clear they're both battling between giving a damn and not giving a damn. One moment they do and another they don't. I do think there's something good about this though. It sure beats the players who think this way and don't care to vent. Those guys just show up for a paycheck. Lebron and Twill want to genuinely do better, be better. Unfortunately, if they can't or don't, it's going to eat them up inside, they'll continue to vent, and it won't always be pretty.

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

The way I see it, the fact that he even brought it up shows that he cares what Rockets fans think. I don't care how much of a defensive posture he takes in criticizing the criticizers. If he truly didn't care, he would never had said anything to Clutch.

....T-Will just earned a full-time fan today.

Terrence, if you're reading this, keep caring and keep fighting to become a better player. Read the critiques as well as the praise and let them fuel the fire. Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger...

1 person likes this.
  6. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

BTW - I reluctantly got drug to the Galleria by girlfriend yesterday and besides it being a complete madhouse in there...I am almost positive I saw T-Will there shopping. I'm not positive and I wasn't going to go run around trying to get a second look all things considered (the crowding...the dragging around a girlfriend...the awkwardness of being 26 and running around trying to catch a glimpse of another man).

If it was him, he was wearing red and shopping by himself, playing with his phone.

Yeah I know....brool story co.

7. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

seemed a little upset still...but were all rooting for him, hopefully he can become a go to guy. Guys got a lot of talent and athleticism, just gotta control himself.

8. AFS

AFS Member

Exactly. He's been reading what we, the fans, have to say and think and of course he has an opinion on it. I doubt it's fun reading fans say that you suck and should be traded (from the thread he made reference to). He cares what we think and even dubbed us "the best fans on Earth." I want to see him succeed.

9. Dei

Dei Member

Good attitude. I'm liking him more. But, between him and Morris, I want Morris to pan out more. We need a 6'9 SF.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think so. He has the handles, the strength, the rebounding, the athleticism, and he can get to the rim anytime he wants. The only problem for him is that he hasn't made defenders respect his jump shot yet. If he can develop a mid range pull up J, he will be a max type player. That being said, a pull up J is not that easy to develop, so he needs to bust his ass if he wants the dough.

11. xAliceInChains

Quick, everybody take back anything bad you ever said about T-Will!

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

The problem with his 9-5 comment is it assumes that regular folks have no understanding of what it means to be in the NBA. This is just simply not true. There were Div. III scholarship recipients on my intramural basketball team when I was in law school. Does that mean that I, or even they, understand what it means to be Olajuwon? No, but surely they know what it's like to play basketball at a certain level and then not progress whether due to injury or not having the requisite talent, etc. There are fans on this board who have been avid consumers of the product of professional basketball longer than T-Will has been alive. It doesn't take a paid NBA scout to recognize the attributes of a star, a role-player or a bust. People's opinions are clearly wrong at times otherwise everyone would have a ring. However, size, strength, speed, heart, wit, motor, leadership and other factors are at the very least observable, if not measurable.

So, will he be a bust or a role-player or a star? Maybe the jury is still out. Maybe he still has time to set his own path. However, there are people observant enough to recognize certain trends that he and others are falling into. I would wager that even we couch potatoes have seen more failures and successes, as fans, than he has endured as an individual player. He might not want to listen to everyone, but he should listen to someone, and that person likely isn't behind whoever runs his twitter account.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ha ha, I love it Clutch you're getting famous.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good for T-Will. I hope he keeps his head up and stays strong. If he works on his game and gets more burn on the floor during games this guy has superstar potential.

The reason ya'll don't like him are either cultural (which is a bad reason be it his race or jealousy over him being a millionare bball player) or because he hasn't developed on the court yet (which is understandable but correctible).

I personally, since he wears Rockets red, am hoping he develops. He would be a great player to cheer for.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not even close. Most div I players have no idea how to play in the pros. That is why only about 20-30 make a career of it. The odds of playing in the NBA is less than winning the lottery.

16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

That was kinda my point. He seems to think that just because he laces 'em up for the NBA he has it all figured out. Odds are the Div. I flameouts have a more realistic view of why they never made it than T-Will has of why he isn't making it now.

17. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Have you ever heard the term "logical fallacy" before?

1 person likes this.
  18. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Exactly. It's obvious it bothers him. That's not necessarily a bad thing. In my line of business, criticism is really important to getting better. The ones who get defensive when criticized don't get better and their careers don't go anywhere. But the ones who take the criticism and work on their weaknesses end up thriving in their careers. Often the most talented ones become accustomed to things coming easy to them and so they aren't used to criticism/adversity and get defensive and shut down. The ones who aren't as naturally talented work their butts off to address their weaknesses and end up doing better over the long run. But the ones who are both naturally talented and learn to use criticism to hone their skills end up on top of the game.

I suspect the same is true in pro-basketball. Jordan used to be criticized for his outside shooting and getting others involved. He kept eliminating his weaknesses and became the greatest. But the NBA is littered with the graves of careers of people like Stephon Marbury who had tons of talent but just couldn't use the criticism to take it to the next level. Even Jordan had to learn that respect is earned, not given.

I think the biggest thing that seems to worry people on Clutchfans is perceptions of a lack of professionalism when it comes to Twill, which have been reinforced by his sulking when he was entered into a game last year. It's important to have a lot of pride in yourself especially if it's self-confidence not youthful cockiness. People who don't have pride or self-confidence often don't have the competitiveness to fight. On the other hand, when pride keeps you from taking in the criticism to make your game better, then it can hurt you. I see that all the time from people who don't look at their careers as professionals. I'm hoping Twill has learned to be humble enough to take in criticism where its warranted and uses it to get better because he is probably the only one on this roster that has the talent to become an all-star. I'd rather see him becoming a Jordan than a Harold Miner, but that's on him. I'm rooting for you, Twill.

1 person likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Awesome... this guy is cool. Hope people see this as a call to be more careful with your posts.

20. echu888

echu888 Member

He has the physical tools but there have been plenty of players in the league that seem like they're gonna make a huge splash but it never happens. Why? Dunno, don't have the right mentality & attitude, play like a knucklehead, not improving on their real weaknesses...