1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Some videos of Yao's workout (UPDATED: Includes EVERY Yao play)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Chuck: "C'mon, James! ****! Get a stop James. You ain't got a stop all day."

Harsh talk from the Chuckwagon.

2. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

What day is today? Oct. 24th?

3. devin23

devin23 Member

Dude hasn't played in over a year. He's obviously rusty. Give him time...

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Agreed! His left hand looks much improved. That would be a huge addition.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I posted a clarification earlier in the thread but it looks like Yao won the first two, then Chuck won two, then Yao snapped that streak (and he responded with, "Chuck, say something!"). I honestly had forgotten for a moment there that Yao won the first two games (I guess by the time I figured out the exact point of the drill, Chuck was winning... I had to go back to the video to see Yao's early wins).

Yao did look good, but he had a couple of moments (that you can see in the video) where he was clearly very winded. Conditioning is really all he lacks.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

If that's really all he lacks, that is promising news Clutch! :grin:

7. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

I went to the Rockets games when they played the Kings late last season and during the pre-game warm ups, I swear on my life I saw Chuck making three after three from the corner. Some people just can't shoot in games.

8. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Yao Mingggggggggggggggggg, Yao Ming Yao Ming Yao Ming, Yaooooooooooo Minggggggggggggg Yaooooooooooo Minggggggggggggg!

9. Merla08

Merla08 Member

He's looking good. Once he gets his basketball shape back (endurance, less fatigue), he'll be good as new. I feel confident that he'll be able to make it through the entire season (including NBA Finals) :)

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

His conditioning looked weak, but his shot looked pretty good... until his conditioning became evident, anyway. He's moving a lot better than I thought he'd be, so that's a plus.

11. Pete the Cheat

I think I can hear Chuck make two free throws in a row. Although its only the sound of the net as Clutch's camera pans away...

So we are really only left to wonder...

12. FR0497

FR0497 Member

I also have noticed Chuck having a decent shot in pre-game warm ups. Surprised me quite a bit, had to triple take to see who was actually shooting the ball. Then game time rolled around and his stuttering shooting form was back.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brett Gunning(director of player development) on 610:

H: Good to see Yao out there. You were out there with RJ and Chuck. Working with Yao, positives?

BG: He was happy to see others in the gym besides coaches yelling at him.

H: Before we go any further, Barry here, there is more to what Brett does, upteen years as AC with 'Nova. (Foye, Lowry) Then at Hofstra. It's not like you came to town and decided to work guys out.

BG: You're right. I'm lucky. Been very lucky. Living a dream.

H: Brett Gunning joining us. Yao did seem winded. I did notice he catched a 2nd wind later on.

BG: Yeah, to let you guys in, Yao puts in a good 4-5 hours a day. You's saw him at the end. He's in the weight room, flexibility, etc. You saw him at the end of the workout. Did a good job. He's excited. Been excited last couple weeks.

H: Brett, about 6 weeks ago, Yao came out, jumped and slammed dunk. Were you scared saying "No, no!" ?

BG: I was with Jack and was talking about Yao. That dunk was as bad as dunk you could have. Just within last week, back from China, he has lost weight, looks quicker. Dunking the ball like young 25 yr old. Doing it with ease and has really progressed.

H: Brett, please give us technical breakdown of something. While Yao isnt quick, he makes his defensive presence felt. While maybe not shown in box score, he can change the shot. Can you give listeners a prospective?

BG: No doubt. When guys get to rim and got 7'6 guy there, there is a great impact. Teams try to get him away from the basket. You wanna get guys like him and Dwight away from basket. A lot of great things Yao does. Teams will try to take advantage of him. We will feel his presence.

H: When will Yao be able to run 94 feet up and down the court?

BG: I wont put exact date on it. Great progression here though. Thats one of the next steps though. Nothing preventing him but building up to that point.

H: Yeah, I got a feeling it was pacing himself. Doctors have to tell him to slow down.

BG: You're being nice. We have to tell him he's done. Fans have to know, he's putting in hours and hours of work. We have to scale it back. He wants to get back.

H: Thats a good thing. In Yao's perspective, he wants it.

BG: No doubt. Just a couple weeks ago, was running around track in 105 degree weather. He is putting in the time. He has a standard he'll hold himself to. We enjoy being in the trenches with him.

H: Brett, whats it been like with Patterson?

BG: Between him and Hayes, it's a Kentucky lovefest. Great kid, very coachable. Good work ethic. In a workout the other day, Chuck was guarding Pat on the block and next thing you know, he was shooting a jump hook - Chuck had pushed him out. Great attitude, very coachable. He's got a chance to be great player.

H: What about Hill?

BG: He's doing awesome. He wants it. They all know they got great opportunity here. Jordan's attitude and mindset is there. Working out 4-5 days a week. His improvent is coming every day. He's doing great.

H: Appreciate the time. Good luck.

BG: Thanks, have a good night.

1 person likes this.
  14. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Hope Carmelo has watched this :p

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

He's not fast....never will be....but after a major foot surgery like that one....if he can just be what he was when he got hurt we are good.

he was very good before....justhad recurrance of foot problem over and over

also, his calf is much smaller on left but i sure that will get better in season, right?

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

He looks better than I thought he would at this stage; encouraging. If he comes back all the way and stays healthy, it will be one of the major comebacks in sports. If he gets through this season without an injury, I will become a "believer," I have always been a fan, just don't trust his durability.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yao looks great. I thought this surgery would kill his career. Guess not. Glad to see this. Carmelo is glad too since he wants a ring as soon as possible.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My man Chuck hittin jumpers and it looks like he has a decent free throw going. :grin: Yao Ming cursing and talking trash is a thing of beauty!! Cripes not much on defense but a nice outside shot.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Yao could ever get through a whole post-season without injury, he'll get a ring.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks.