1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] So the Rockets are Hard-Capped… Now What?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Sep 19, 2015.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Whoa. Didn't realize Hayes signed with the clips. What the heck? Smith, Prigioni and now Hayes?. Guess that game six crash really messed with their heads.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Color me surprised this happened, in fact I'm a bit disappointed with the Rox because giving away that extra flexibility just for Harrell. I mean, I like the dude, but signing him meant giving up on Hayes (proven player), Wood (player with more potential than Harrell), and then an added restriction to trades.

Although I think there's a good chance Harrell would indeed end up a bargain (if he's a free agent next year he could make up to the MLE depending on his play), IMHO it's still too much to give up for him. Hopefully I'm wrong on this though.

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

can't help feeling the team was evaluated and found wanting.

Smith, Haynes & Flex would provide greater utility this season than a green rookie big.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes, at 32, is a proven player like Dorsey is a proven player, except he plays in a manner that is likeable to a fan base. Worth a roster spot as can still help in certain situations, but not someone to get worked up over. Losing the flexibility is the big concern. Makes me think Rockets like his upside and current ability.

6. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Excellent write-up. DM continues to impress in his approach to maximize the returns for this team.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Could get Chucked; could get signed.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The only thing Dorsey has proven is that he can block himself on the rim during a slam dunk.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Awful take.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You go all in, that's "now what"

11. basketballholic

Now what?

Well, we need a 3rd big man that can play in the middle effectively. Next deadline...October 31st. Will Jones be traded after extension talks but before October 31st, so another team can extend him????

After that we're headed to the regular season.

IF....Morey cannot acquire a 3rd superstar through trade by the trade deadline in February....THEN it is more likely that Morey looks for a trade(s) to move out of the luxury tax altogether, if he can simultaneously make an incremental upgrade to the team.

We are a little over $2.44 million into the luxury tax at present. A package involving around $10 million of outgoing salary for an incoming package of around $7 million would do the trick. And might actually improve us as a contender with the right incoming players.

Don't be surprised if Morey wriggles out of the luxury tax at the deadline if he cannot get a trade for a player of the ilk of DeMarcus/Durant done. And.....we perhaps COULD acquire that 3rd superstar while simultaneously going under the luxury tax. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I liked Chuck when he was here, but he seriously has not proven anything since he left us. What has he done in SAC and TOR? You guys need to stop being so nostalgic and think he is the best 3rd string PF in the league.

Granted, I really like what Chuck can bring to the locker room or as a pseudo assistant player/coach, but I'm sure that Harrell's pure on court production will be better than Chuck's once he gets playing time in the 2nd half of the season.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Those teams were no good. Mutombo didn't do anything before he came to Houston either, but played better while on a better team/better environment.

14. PeppermintCandy

This and the previous write-up all the offseason moves were truly informative. Thanks.

Off tangent, but had Lull accepted the Rockets' offer, I wonder how that would have affected the way Lawson's situation went down?

15. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Exactly! Same with Mcgrady and Dwight. Didn't do diddly before coming to Houston. :)

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looked up salaries for first rounders because of this post. That's a dynamic I hadn't really appreciated before -- draft picks' salaries (and the minimum salary, and the MLE too) are set according to fixed schedules while the salary cap, and max contracts are tied to BRI. When the BRI goes way up in 2016-17, rookie contracts, veteran minimum guys, and even MLE players are going to be dirt cheap. The gap between rich and poor in the NBA is going to get bigger.

That's a good point. I think it is unlikely that he'll sign any extension, but the 10/31 deadline might push the action on a trade.

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

I feel pretty comfortable at the C position with Dwight & Clint & cameos from DMo & MonstaTrezz in small lineups. If we really need to add a big, does anyone know our homey Emeka Okafor's health status? Is there any path possible to him?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chuck has done that.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just so people are updated on this, Okafor (the old one) had a herniated disk back in 2013 and has yet to step foot back on the basketball court.

If Okafor wanted to make a comeback, you'd hear about him auditioning to NBA teams for the past couple months. The fact that you haven't means that his injuries were too debilitating to continue an NBA career.

At this point you're probably more likely to sign and get production from Marcus Camby who actually might be healthy.

So whose left- (I believe)

Ryan Hollins
    Bernard James
    Earl Barron
    Reggie Evans
    Jason Maxiell
    Greg Smith

.... IMO the Rockets are probably better off looking for another Tarik Black type of young big from the D-League at the 15th man if they can find one. None of those veteran names are going to do much for the Rockets this year. Maybe Maxiell or Evans could provide the Rockets similar production that they got from Dorsey last year at best.

20. eman

eman Contributing Member