1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Sean Mitchell: Yes, Houston -- it's OK to be happy for Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How is this guy not banned?!

:p

1 person likes this.
  2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I will not root for Dallas and do not feel good for Dirk and Kidd.

2 people like this.
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

dislike.

1 person likes this.
  4. delishman

delishman Member

Ehhhhhhhhh. Neh.

2 people like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Happy for Dirk who seems to be a good guy. Only cheered for Dallas because they were playing the hated Heat. Now I am back to loathing them and their obnoxious owner.

6. Raven

Raven Member

No, it's not, Dallas sucks and Cuban and Dirk are only slightly less obnoxious than LeChoke, which is why I was ambivalent about the Finals.

2 people like this.
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Sorry but never gonna happen, it's bad enough surrounded by the endless cows and mavs talk here in Dallas, now this has made it nearly impossible to watch TV....

Only good thing is hearing all the heat bashing but this whole Finals was a nowin situation

2 people like this.
  8. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

It seems it's mostly the younger fans that have a problem with the Mavs and here's why.

During the 80's and 90's when I grew up watching the Rockets, the Mavs weren't even in the question. I remember their franchise having maybe one good player here and one good player there. In 92-94 with the drafting of Jim Jackson, Jamal Mashburn and Jason Kidd, many thought the Mavs would turn it around.

Essentially, there has never been a rivalry between the Mavs and Rockets. There was a playoff series in 05 that was tainted by refs, with their bad calls, and the lack of a Rockets team even showing up in game 7. If I remember correctly, during that series, the road team one every game except for game 7..

When it comes to hatred of teams...I can think of many more reasons to hate the Lakers, who we've seen throughout history a looooot more in the playoffs than the Mavericks. The Jazz as well. Also, the Spurs, The Sonics (Now the Thunder) have almost always been playoff matchups for us. (Funny how so many people are big Thunder fans bc of Durant, has to be a youth thing bc I for one can NEVER root for the Sonics!!)

In conclusion, I think a lot of the hate for the Mavs, should be focused on the problem at hand which is not them so much, but NBA officiating and David Stern(I wish they had terms of office for commisioners..say 6 years). Every team has their floppers and whiners. The Mavs have an owner who came from nothing and loves, absolutely loves the game. I can not hate him for that. I can think of many more reasons to hate other teams with a longer history of rivalry.

Thanks for reading, if you did, just my .02

2 people like this.
  9. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I did root for the Mavs in this series and am happy for them. Jason Kidd is deserving of a ring, Dirk REALLY showed what he was made of (his aggression should be enviable to other stars in the NBA), and they took on the freakin' Heat.

I live in Grapevine now, but have been a Rockets fan since '90-91 and still get NBALeague Pass to watch every game that I can. I couldnt stand the Mavs for years, ESPECIALLY after the whole 2005 BS. This year tho... the way they took down the Lakers, omg I was so happy that they KILLED LA that I dropped my petty hate for the playoffs because they killed a common enemy that annoyed me SO much more. Then Dallas game back twice miraculously against OKC. When the HEAT came up in the Finals, I thought maybe I was hoping Dallas would win just because of Lebron and all that... but as I watched I saw Dirk play truly inspired ball, Mavs play as a team (still cant stand Terry, tho he had a great series), well, I cant lie. I'm happy they won.

and sorry, I don't think rooting for the Mavs is the same as rooting on LA or Utah. I WOULD'VE wanted either of those teams to win above Miami, but I wouldnt have gone and watched and supported them specifically.

I am a Rockets fan first, but I do love good basketball. If my biased passion ever got in the way of me enjoying that, then I don't see why I'd even be a basketball fan at all.

10. bro2044

bro2044 Member

almost. Rockets won 2 in DAL, lost 2 in HOU, home team won next 3.

good pts in post tho, agreed.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Kidd's ex wife he beat up might disagree.

1 person likes this.
  12. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Watch Kevin Hart and you will understand...lol

13. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Ah yes, that's right, I remember thinking that because the Rockets won the first 2 games in Dallas, that if we got the one at home we should be able to win the series in Game 7. Boy was I wrong. Sad part is, the game plan falls on JVG, and that's who I'm mostly upset with. Not Finley coming from out of bounds, not Cuban trying to give his team and edge for shouting out to the league. Hell, tell me if you had the resources Cuban had, you wouldn't do the same for your Rockets.

I can't stand what Stern has done to basketball. I miss the grind it out playoffs where there weren't really any "superstar" calls until Jordan came along. Stern takes the most popular players and has the refs give them an edge to increase their success and the ratings. It be nice to just see a nice grind it out 80's game again instead of this sissified league that it is now.

14. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

*** Dallas

2 people like this.
  15. ThaShark316_28

I'd hate the Sonics 1st (if they ever come back) before I ever THINK about hating the Mavericks.

16. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Or even the Suns, Damn Majerle and Kevin Johnson. Ughh they were a pain before the 94 Championship. Felt good to beat Barkley and the Suns. I hated it, absolutely hated it when we traded all those assets for Chuck and changed are uniforms...what were they thinking?!?!

17. ThaShark316_28

No idea who thought those jerseys were a great idea. I'm watching a game on youtube now with the Rockets in those unis. TERRIBLE!

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I should state Kidd's basketball court personality, not pure personality. I think Kidd is a great teammate, almost every NBA player wants to play with him, as someone stated before (I read somewhere).

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Bull to the****....

2 people like this.
  20. today

today Contributing Member

Way to get started off on the right foot Sean... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.