1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Saying goodbye to Adelman feels like the right move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Nice job, Clutch. I had this same argument earlier today when my buddy called me kicking and screaming about Rick's departure.

2. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Nice read CLUTCH!!! I agree..it was time to move forward. Let the Twill Era begin:grin:

3. deshen

deshen Member

This is the most pointless statement by any GM or coach in NBA. No team can be top team before they can play playoffs.

Do not fly before you can walk.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think much of the commentary on the forum has been overlooking the mutual nature of this decision. I thought it was clear ever since Adelman made his "I came to coach Yao and Tracy and ended up with Luis and Chuck" comment that Adelman wanted out. I don't think it is all the new school versus old school/Morey vs. Adelman drama folks try to make it out to be.

Adelman was to coach to put the Yao/McGrady era over the top. Now, this team is simply in a different phase from where Adelman wants to be. Best for both parties to move on.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

This.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like Rick Adelman and loved watching his offense. I hated it win we lost but the games were almost always entertaining. The downside is that Rick clearly does not want to take a step back in order to take two steps forward.

I wonder how everyone would feel if the Daryl told RA tha he would trade Scola in order to move up in the draft and put Pat in the starting line-up. We will not be as good next year for losing Scola but as Pat and our knewly drafted player mature we will be much better. Suppose RA told DM, "Hell no I do not want to get worse in 2011 in order to be much better in 2012. I will not coach if you trade Scola or KMart or anyone else for potential."

This is clearly speculation but it appears RA was more interested in what was best for the next game, not what was best for next season or the nexst several seasons.

7. Garner

Garner Member

Scola is the last man standing from a past team. With Patterson showing so much promise, is he the next to go? Hard to see what keeps him around.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I agree completely. I just don't understand why in a league where the number 1 seed doesn't guarantee you a championship and the worst record doesn't guarantee you the number 1 pick why it seems as if we are so ready to start losing.

I guess we are in the minority of people who also thinks only a couple moves, a competent center being the most important, and we would be battling for the 4 seed next year. When you are seemingly that close why start over?

I honestly have no idea what direction we will end up going....

Are we even going to try to get in the running for howard, cp3, dwill or anyone who would immediately help anymore?

Is it all about the 2012 draft?

Just gonna have to wait and see, but as of right now I am still a little disappointed les and morey didn't give rick one more try with another round of off season moves to see what he and the team could do next year.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Hayes was port of those teams too, not just luis, are we gonna let him walk in the offeseason?

10. inishi

inishi Member

So basically we just tune out for the next couple of years ( hopefully that's all it takes ) while the rockets suck until they hit the jackpot in the lottery? that's basically what developing unproven talent means. There are some teams that have been doing that for years. I just don't see why if the rockets are only a couple of moves away ( a legit center and a 3) you get rid of a great coach, unless they are banking on a high draft pick.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Daryl Morey. “The job I’m given by Les Alexander is not can we be a team that works its way into the playoffs. The job I’m given, and we’re short of, is can we compete with the top teams.”

Very right!

12. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

Jolly good read. I concur.

13. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I kind of agree...

There is no doubt Adelman is perhaps a coach for a championship caliber team, and not the Rockets as they currently stand. But if he wants to stay (which apparently was the case) and they can afford to pay him, why no stay with the best option available?

It is like the draft. Even Morey says: you do not draft by position, you pick the best option available to you. We will not find anything better than Adelman in the market. We can try to "develop" a coach. We had that opportunity with Thibodeau, and it is now obvious we blew it. It is always easier for a coach when you have talent. Getting that talent should be the Rockets quest.

14. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

We need a young energetic coach that will get the best out of our young players. Adelman is a coach that if the young players dont do it themselves, they will just ride the bench all season

15. inishi

inishi Member

pretty much sums up my feelings. Now instead of just needing talent, you need a coach and talent since you get rid of a coach with a great system and that most players live playing for. I honestly don't see many of the players performing nearly as well in a different system. except Terence the chosen one Williams.

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Spot on... if you fire your coach you better have a better one in the wings. If you wanted to fire Adelman then do it last year and get Thibodeau.

I will reserve taking sides on this until I see who we get but right now I hate losing RA.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Completely agree with your article Clutch.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I agree with the vast majority of the argument made, particularly the sections on potential replacements and title contending.

The one area where I'll have to take issue is the disconnect between Adelman and the front office, with the two specifics highlighted being TWill and Thabeet. I dont doubt there was real tension between the two sides on the handling of Thabeet and TWill, but my contention would be that in both situations, RA made the right move. It's not as if he was apprehensive about playing young guys- Hill found himself in the game regularly, Bud's been logging solid minutes for some time, and PP was allowed to flourish in the second half of the season. So RA wasnt opposed to giving younger players minutes, and if the rationale for firing him is based on benching TWill and Thabeet, they'd have had issues with almost any coach in the NBA.

There is such a thing as overvaluing youth. The team was in the playoff hunt late into the season; if they were eliminated from playoff contention earlier, I'd understand, but they werent, and the team was playing meaningful games until the losses to Sacramento and New Orleans late in the season.

In any case, I too feel that moving Adelman is the right move to make, and I think this teams probably going to go after a lesser-known assistant who can help this team grow.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed Clutch. As a fairly level-headed 99'er, I'm just not really all that affected emotionally by the move. Love the way you put it, "feels like the right move".

I've never been so ready to move on. And I think Adelman will be a HOF coach.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I remain equivocal about the situation. I'm not happy that Adelman is gone; he was a piece to a championship and now we need a new one. Does this mean that Kevin Martin and Scola are gone too? They deserve to play for a contender also; Martin's on the back half of his prime now, and Scola's beginning the slow decline already.

In short, going backwards as many had wanted might have been the right move. But it's not going to be an easy or a short road to take. The only consolation, like Clutch said, is that now we may give Hill, TWill, Thabeet more chances to prove themselves. If Thabeet is really this bad though then that hurts my impression of Morey. Could he seriously not have gotten a better deal from Boston? This contract of Thabeet's actually handcuffs us more than his potential gives us reason to hope!

Game on, Morey. The real season's started for you now. Don't suck.