1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Saying goodbye to Adelman feels like the right move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

It's a fantastic article.

I agree with most points in the article, but knowing it's the right move does not make me feel less sad/upset about Adelman leaving. He deserves every praise he gets for the job he has done with Houston, and it just....... sucks (for the lack of a better word) that he has to go.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As ever, the brown-nosing train is chugging along. :p

It's a good article and it makes all valid points. My main beef is with people who are quick to bow to Morey and write off Adelman as an old out-of-touch coach, which you wisely avoided.

While this may pan out to be a great decision now there is never a time to stop holding the GM accountable. If Morey gets a replacement that meets expectations I'll change my tune.

3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if needed, yes. right now, morey's job is to find a foundation for the rox for any price.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Honestly we may as well.

If our main goal is to take a step back and build from scratch for the future, I feel like having a fire sale on our players helps achieve that quicker than simply getting a worse coach.

#24 DCkid, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nicely written article, and I do get what you are saying, I just don't necessarily believe in the direction they are taking.

I completely get that Morey wants his guy, or a guy that is going to value his input, but that puts Morey's butt on the hot seat, and honestly right now he has not delivered on what he was brought here to do.

The irony of getting a rebuilding coach, is that they are almost NEVER around once the rebuilding is complete, they get toasted after the rebuilding is taking too long or when it is just about done and a more veteran winning coach is brought in to right the ship and take them home.

So, whomever they bring in next, I doubt they will be here when the ship turns away from that rebuilding iceberg, and clearly Morey has the right to look for a guy who will work more closely with the direction he is setting.

I personally have reservations about the guy that is setting the course, as he has no history that suggests he will be able to do it, and the results thus far are mediocre to say the least.

That being said, we are Rockets fans, what choice do we have but to wait and see?

I have been saying for years that next year was the key, because they get out from under Yao's contract, but dang it, I was hoping the fall would be cushioned...I guess it still might be.....if a lot of the young guys can actually play ball.

On the bright side, I do think sometimes a GM has to force the hand of a stubborn old coach and there was a thread about comfort foods and trading them away....Morey trading away Brooks and Battier worked out for the best, which is great, but he also put a roster together of too many like pieces at the beginning of the year and let a coach try to find the right mix, which caused chemistry issues...so mixed bag for me overall.

Very well written article, and it makes sense, I still believe more in Adelman's way of coaching, teaching, playing basketball than Moreys....let's hope DM is just ahead of old crumudgeons like me.

DD

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

you demand 100% sure things. it is not realistic. a replacement could be worse. as a reasonable person, you have to give him a few opportunities to complete his job. it's just like drafting a rookie. you could fail. you can blame him if he fails all the time. at least give him a few tries.

7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

or next year w/ a good draft pick and a superstar in return for scola & others or 2012 w/ dwight howard and another good draft

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If win-now versus win-big were fact versus theory, I suppose I'd agree...but then I'd have to learn how to lose much worse than the other guy to accomplish that goal...since many more non-contenders would be attempting to lose big now in order to win big in the future.

I'm beginning to wonder what the heck is wrong with Les. The Greatest Team Ever Assembled. What happened Les?? It's a lot harder to get a great coach matched with a great GM than he thinks.

I'm worried Les is about ready to find out how spoiled he's been landing coaches with Yao Ming.

1 person likes this.
  9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

at the beginning of the seaon, morey betted on yao. all his trades by that time were for surrounding yao with supporting cast including km. now km is expandable w/o yao.

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Well said, Well Spoken, and I agree 100%. Now if you can just write something to convince all the JVG clones he would be bad for this team and why, I will sleep better at night. You really could just insert JVG's name in where you have Ricks and the reasons stay pretty much the same.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm hard on sports management. I criticize. I understand that things are up in the air right now. I'm disappointed that Adelman is leaving because I liked the continuity he brought.

Now that he's gone I hope we get a coach that is prepared to play the younger guys with a "win-at-all-costs" mentality. I will never let the "tank" crowd win. :)

12. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Les is such an a-hole for wanting to fire Adelman before his contract was up. And I don't believe for a second it was so we could jumpstart the rebuilding process 4-5 months early. Les seriously thinks Adelman should have done a better job, despite Yao getting injured, Brooks getting injured, Lowry struggling through early season injuries, Chase going through a miserable slump, etc., etc. etc.

What a freakin moron. We'll see how committed to rebuilding Les is based on how much he brings Yao back for. If it's anything more than the minimum for a player that NEVER stays healthy, we'll know how much he cares about winning vs. sacrificing payroll for Chinese dollars. Good luck to whoever's up next for a ride on Les Alexander's coaching carousel. Stupid senile cackling old man.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I bet this, Mr. Alexander is not going to rebuild the team right now. Instead, he will be trying to hire a 'star coach' to make the rockets a contender next season. Of course, the reality may not go the way that he wants. LOL

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree with everything in the article pretty much.

I feel when you are rebuilding you have to make major changes. Hopefully the Rockets will finish their changes by cutting ties with Yao.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Everyone deserves their opinion Clutch. I'm just disappointed because I feel like Rick leaving is just another sign that the team isn't worried about winning next season (or in the near future) and that means Chuck is going to end up somewhere else. I am going to hate watching more than one team.

The Rockets are my team now, so I can't change my loyalties when my fave player isn't re-signed. :(

I understand that they want a coach to match Morey, but every time I get used to a coach and love something about him, they let him go!

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I agree completely with this article actually, as much as I respect Rick Adelman as a coach and appreciate what he did for Rockets basketball, I think the direction the team finds itself going in does not coincide with his vision.

It is an amicable divorce, which means a mutual decision.

As with any relationship, a breakdown of communication is the first sign of irreconcilable differences.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nice article, Clutch.

Doubt a lot of posters will have the nerve to question you like they have the rest of us, but I hope they chime in anyway.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

utah didn't jettison Sloan when they lost their stars. Not so sure a top coach cannot be part of a rebuilding project. Though he has to buy in.

(and, of course, Utah's trophy cabinet isn't exactly overflowing -- not that there's anything wrong with that).

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I agree, it was very tough and while on the surface it feels wrong...digging deeper you can see the logic behind it.

My only issue will arise if they hire a Brown, Woodson or another retread. Those guys aren't going to lead you longterm.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Agreed with everything you said. One could be even more critical with Adelman, but those are already more than enough reasons. As I said yesterday, the next correct move consists in selecting properly the next coach. It is difficult, but can be done.