1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Ryan Anderson could cost the Rockets over $100M next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 29, 2018.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

In a perfect world, Morey would be able to unload Anderson without taking a bad contract back, but considering his salary, it’s going to be tough to do. At least Crabbe and Batum add more perimeter talent to the roster instead of a guy that can’t play against Golden State. It’s not my preferred option, but it’s better than keeping Anderson.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I never wanted Ryan Anderson. I was outspoken about that. But he did help the team the 1st year when they were trying to dig themselves out of their culture rut. That was important as it eventually relates to getting Chris Paul. So it is a means to an end for me. The cost of doing business.

I trust Morey will be able to pivot and move Anderson for useable assets. It just might take a couple of moves to do it.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Morey had a huge crush on Ryan Anderson because he shot so many threes without hesitation in New Orleans as a stretch PF. On paper, it seemed like the perfect fit. So he was willing to give him the huge contract given the salary cap boom at the time.

Never in a million years did Morey think this is how the Anderson signing would turn out. Smart teams like the Spurs and Warriors completely exploited his bad defense in the playoffs. Even worse, the whole point of signing him -- elite and voluminous 3pt shooting, cratered at Toyota Center where he plays half his games.

I don't see how Morey can deal him. If he can't, all we can hope is that Ryno can turn it around and be useful in the regular season.

One adjustment I'd make is he should go back to being a "regular" spot-up shooter from 3 and not standing 30 feet from the basket to stop up for DEEP threes. While the extra spacing benefits the offense, obviously your shooting % will decrease the further you are from the basket. Let's just have him spot-up right behind the line and see if we can get his % back up close to 40%.

amaru and napalm06 like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Massive positive vibes headed towards the team. They had no effect on the ****ing refs, of course. Anderson? His lack of confidence, along with what I assume was an attack of hysteria descending upon the pathetic creature whenever he came off the bench, combined to produce an impervious shield that thwarted vibe impact.

[​IMG]

Imaginary Anderson - with vibes thwarted :eek:

Zboy and kjayp like this.
  5. ak99999

ak99999 Member

They need harden, paul, capela, and especially Anderson to all take pay cuts just like golden state players!

6. rocketsmetalspd

Yea will need pay cuts/re-structure contracts like other teams have done. This team is so damn close to a Chip! I hope things will work out this Summer and the team can finally get the Chip in 2019. H-Town Crazy! Go Rockets1

7. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Well said. We only remember for his most recent play, but he did play a role in getting to 65 wins this year too.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well I don't think Ryno is as unmovable as most think. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but it isn't an albatross either. I totally agree with you on the fact that he was pivotal in turning this franchise around though. He is a catch 22 of sorts because they aren't better without him, but they can't get any better than they are right now with him. Again, the deal to get Ryno out will hang onto if the Rockets are willing to send out EG. There's a reason why their contracts match up perfectly for trades for superstars. They were always seen as a package deal by Morey, at least that's what I tell myself. If you're getting a PG or a LeBron, maybe EG does go. It's hard to say that, especially when he was rather good in games 6 and 7.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If he is still on the team next season during playoffs, he is going to cost us not only 100M but even worse, another championship.

Pray that we get rid of him ASAP.

The team success depends on it.

DaDakota, amaru and luckyman76 like this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Is it not possible to do a buyout on his contract? You still get charged luxury for players bought out? Interesting.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another option for the Rockets is to waive Anderson and stretch his salary over several seasons, but this is a very unpalatable option and should be explored only as a last resort. If Anderson is waived and his salary stretched prior to September 1, his salary would be a dead cap hit of approximately $8.34 million . . . for each of the next five seasons. While such a move would save Fertitta a lot of money over the next two seasons, it could have extremely negative consequences for the team once this roster is ready to be turned over and cap room is needed.

Even if Anderson agrees to a buyout, or even with the potential for setoff (if Anderson signs with another team in the next two years), that dead cap hit is unlikely to be reduced by much. It would be foolish to expect Anderson to give back much money in a buyout arrangement; and it would be surprising if he received a very lucrative contract from another team in a bad free agent market this summer.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Biggest winner in FA history.

DD

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Chandler Parsons would like a word. At least Anderson played. Parsons spent his time on Instagram.

14. caneks

caneks Rookie

waive him, only cost 40m for 2 years.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey wasn't using his brain when he signed Ryno to that ridiculous contract.

He saw someone who was a big and can stretch the floor so he fell in love.

He forgot that Ryno is also a complete liability of defense.

Idk if Ryan is purposely trying to screw us over by refusing to shoot and tanking his trade value or is he just completely shook. I'd like to think it's the latter because he doesn't seem like an *******, but he is really about to screw us over these next couple years if Morey can't get rid of his contract.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Please forward & share with the 29 other teams:

Zboy likes this.
  17. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

Still don't know what Memphis was thinking on that one. If it weren't for Ryan Anderson's contract, I'd get even more self-righteous.

19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member