1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets will seek Dwight Howard trade... again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If we trade for Dwight and he bombs, and Morey manages to keep us out of the top 7 of the lottery, I would be amazed. That would be one hell of an achievement.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Houston-Orlando blockbuster trades are almost inevitable. Welcome to Houston D12. We deserve it.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because you're concerned about howard's health?? or from just a player performance standpoint?

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The trade won't happen before the draft. It will happen before free agency begins on July 1 if Dwight doesn't sign an extension.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It's a win-win situation.

We acquire Dwight and signs an extension = sky is the limit

We acquire him and turns out to be a rental = we finally start rebuilding/tanking

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So ...THIS! To be honest, if we are gonna forego being active in this draft so that we can have a chance to start where we left off in the Howard-sweapstakes, I think it's a big mistake. I am worried that waiting on Howard will hinder our ability to do what we need to do to improve our team on draft night.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So i guess this trade wasnt as unrealistic as many people had me believe...smh...if this goes down...I would like quite a few apologies...;)

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The ultimate good...

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's actually a good point. It's Morey's way of doing a 'work-around' with Les where Morey at least can say he was going for a star....oops we didn't get him I guess we have to rebuild.

10. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Can we get a photoshopped picture of DHoward in a Rockets jersey on the home page? I'm tired of seeing the face of Steve Francis:p

11. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

lol me 2

12. Asian Sensation

Is there really a difference between just barely missing the playoffs and ending up with the 14th pick year after year and more than likely another year as opposed to hitting rock bottom? To me I don't know which one is worse. Especially when you consider a team being competitive for the majority of the season and then completely collapsing at the end. I'd rather be really bad and have a shot at the next superstar as opposed to having a false sense of hope in our current group.

Back on topic though... I just can't see Dwight Howard hitting rock bottom. Not now and not for another 5 years minimum.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

So Howard didn't want to come to Houston if I understand correctly?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And his recently found penchant of being a cancer on an organization. His actions this year with regards to SVG are just strange, so add that to requiring back surgery that may cause him to miss the beginning of the year and the fact that he's led his team to one whole Finals appearance in his career, I just feel it's a perfect storm of yet more disappointment on the horizon. I'll applaud the move because it's something you have to do if you have a chance, I just don't think it will work.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Perhaps

But, even if he doesnt want to be here, does he not want to be here enough to leave millions of dollars on the table?

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yawn. This is yet another "We're close and we're trying" article. No offense to the author, but this whole we were next line crap is getting tired. Its amazing that in a results driven business like the NBA, these jokers want credit for trying. Just get it done.

Oh and meanwhile here in reality (for 3rd year in a row), who are we picking at 14?

17. Big Time Titan

I'd love to have Dwight but not as much as I did before his injury. That really throws a kink in the line if you ask me.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I smell another near miss in the making, but it is certainly worth a try. Of course, I have wanted Howard all along, but would we have any good players left if we get him? If we can keep enough talent, he would be perfect here. However, if he has nagging back problems, then we could be for another season of disappointment. From that point of view, the one year rental makes sense. Certainly don't want to be stuck with a player who can't play but has a long term max contract.

19. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

We'll basically be Orlando in a tougher conference with a better GM and worse coach.

What valuable pieces would we retain under any plausible scenario? I'd like to see Martin play next to a dominant center, and Motiejunas might develop in a few years, but are we really contenders?

The trade has got to be at least two first rounders (maybe three or four, Hou 2012 + HOU 2014 + Dallas + NYK), Lowry, Scola/Martin, Parsons & Dally for Dwight + Hedo &/ Jameer.

If Dwight leaves, we're still eating Hedo's contract which was printed on diarrhea paper out of a bum's butthole and fleeced for picks. Yikes.

20. Nook

Nook Member

His back injury did not happen AFTER the trade deadline, it was pre-existing and he had complained about it in the past. If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, he aggravated his disc bulge after the trade deadline... if you think he is a liar, he was so angry that the Magic would not deal him where he wanted, and cost him money, that he essentially tanked and had surgery that may very well have not been necessary, as disc issues tend to calm down on their own.

The guy is a too faced loser, he has not developed his talents, is scared to shoot at the end of games, has no post moves and is soft. Having said that, he is the best center in the NBA when he chooses to be.