1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets will seek Dwight Howard trade... again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2012.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Rockets keep whoring themselves out to be facilitators for disgruntled stars trying to play out the rest of their contracts.

Thats setting the bar low to begin with.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Your comparison would only make sense if Dwight Howard is 19, about to make only $4mil/yr for the next four years locked in, 5 years from free agency, and has no history of health issues.

If that were the case, then no, there is absolutely no one on this roster, or perhaps any other roster, that Orlando would want.

3. onreego

onreego Member

You forgot Linsane in the Membrane :p

4. Pete the Cheat

put on your beer goggles and join the fun.
    its the opiate of the masses

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

After Carmelo i gave up on the wishing on a star garbage. It was time then to look to get draft picks.
    I never wanted Morey to be fired. It's not that serious yet.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just don't see it ending well. I lost a lot of respect for Howard last season and the back injury scares me even more. And considering he's been to the Finals once in his career, it's definitely not a sure thing.

7. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Without a state income Tax!!!!! I hope Morey drives that point.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya...I don't see anything as a sure thing though. I just like the ceiling on this a lot better than I like the Pau deal, for example...

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'm skeptical that any Howard deal will take place before the draft. Not because we don't have the assets. Instead, Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy will probably be fired. When that happens, all Dwight discussions will be put on hold. It will take awhile to hire a new GM and Coach. The new regime will then chant the "we can build a team around Dwight" mantra, just like when Kubiak said he could coach up David Carr when he was being interviewed for the Texans' job.

Look for it to be closer to training camp before Orlando even addresses the Dwight situation, and for the Dwightmare to continue until the trade deadline next year.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think Howard is a doosh, but I'm willing to cheer for him if he's wearing Rockets Red. And despite being an asswipe, dude is a franchise centerpiece. There's not many of those floating around the NBA. Even if he crashes and burns here, at least we'll finally hit bottom enough to start a true rebuild.

11. cod

cod Member

Lowry, KMart, 2Pat, and Dally for Dwight.

If Dwight then leaves the Rockets in the following season... The Rockets will be able to "achieve" a top 3 pick the right way.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That was just a trickle. It will become a downpour when we lose Dragic and Lee.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you see a different plan that involves a more rosy future? Just because a plan carries a high risk doesn't mean it's not the best. The alternatives may have even lesser chance of succeeding.

I would love for the Rockets to get Howard at any cost because the alternative option to contention would involve years of watching unwatchable basketball. I'd prefer to bank on Howard's health and his willingness to stay, than praying some lotto balls fall in our favor in a draft that features the next Tim Duncan or Lebron James.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Very true and

Possibly true. :)

I'll definitely root for him if he came here, but it just seems all so similar to 2004.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:grin:

I mean, the "don't take players who don't want to be here" crowd just blows my mind. Right now, this is NBA purgatory. It's not a huge media market. In a league of two and three stars per elite team, we have zero. We're also consistently mediocre enough that we don't have high draft picks that conceivably offer star potential. Why on earth would an established NBA star, assuming he comes alone, be excited about coming to Houston? :confused: Quite frankly, I'd be concerned about the likes of Howard and Gasol as competitors if they were enthusiastic.

The reality is, most players are professionals and will move on and accept the situation. It's a part of the game. Most players aren't consulted on where they're dealt. If you want players that are thrilled to be in Houston, you'll have to accept teams full of gritty, good-but-not great players like the past three years. To do any better, you're going to have to take some chances. Whoever the first domino is isn't going to be thrilled. The key is to get it done, no matter how awkward it is, and then hopefully we're in a better position for other stars (Deron?) down the line. (Either that, or the whole thing blows up and we get a couple high draft picks, which is better than our situation now.)

1 person likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

If anything, trading for Howard would almost ensure the Rockets keep Lee and Dragic. That is, unless they need to free up money to sign DWill.

It's without a Howard trade that the Rockets may decide to tank instead and forgo signing these two guys.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're right. I'm just jaded by years of bad luck and what not. I'm conditioned to look at the worst possible outcome after 30+ years of being a Houston sports fan. :(

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Don't underestimate Morey, he managed to rebuild the Rockets while trading Tmac and seeing Yao retire; as long as he has Les' blessing, the team won't hit rock bottom even if Dwight does.

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be great if Howard warmed up to Houston. It could help clean up his image a bit, imo. I think Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Patterson? Motiejunas?, Howard is pretty solid starting five. I would love to see Motiejunas playing next to Howard.

20. deshen

deshen Member

I think our chance is slim.
    It may take long time coz Magic may keep talks with all interested parties until the deadline next season rather than having any decision during the off season.