1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets will seek Dwight Howard trade... again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2012.

1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Probably something like that, plus the Rockets taking on Hedo's awful contract.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

He has a bad back.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So people b**** that we're not doing anything to get more competitive, and when we do, they b**** about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't blame them for wanting to take their shot at Howard, but i think that the chances of landing him are slim, and even if we are successful in landing him, i think he bolts for his desired location after this season, setting us back even further in our rebuilding effort.

So all i'm saying is that if you are gonna play the Howard sweapsteaks, then you better have a backup plan locked and ready. We better have offers on standby for players on our roster. We better be busy setting up contingency plans, and aquiring draft picks. We better be ready to blow it up and rebuild the minute it looks like Howard is not happening. I just hope that we don't bypass real options to rebuild for a Dwight pipe-dream. We can't be held prisoner to what happens with Dwight. It's gonna be another soap-opera for sure. I don't want to see us get too bogged down on this, we really do need to move ahead and build for the future. Let's not waste this year in limbo.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Howard is going to have to realize he can't dictate where he goes until he finishes out his last year. And if he does, it will potentially cost him millions of dollars. He's either got to extend in Orlando or he's going to be moved where Orlando gets the best deal. Orlando isn't going to lame duck this one.

We have nothing to lose here. Nothing. And a whole lot to gain.

1. If he gets traded here, it will be before free agency begins, and we will have cap space, which means we can go after DWill, and still have the rights to Goran to re-sign him if we can convince him to be 3rd wheel with the Double Ds.

2. If he is traded here and DWill decides to re-up in NJ, we now control a huge trade with NJ. Obviously if DWill opts to re-sign in NJ, then we have half a season to convince Dwight to extend playing alongside Goran and whoever we have left after the trade. If we can't get Dwight to extend, then we trade him to NJ. They have plenty of incentive to do a deal since we could go ahead and trade him to the Lakers or better yet the Clippers and then NJ has to risk him wanting to stay there. If Dwight is traded here and DWill re-signs with NJ, we can then dictate to NJ our trade terms for Dwight. They gotta re-sign Lopez and Humphries, and give us Lopez, Humphries, Brooks, and a pick. We don't lose anything if we make a move like that. Remember where we are at right now.

But Dwight has a significant amount of money to lose by not re-signing. And Orlando has too much to lose to play out the season lame duck.

I think some of this picture hangs on the lottery. If NJ gets top 3 pick, that combined with Lopez/Brooks may be enough to get Dwight to NJ. If NJ doesn't get top 3, then I think their chances of trading for Dwight are almost nil and it comes down to us, the Celtics, the Clippers, and the Lakers.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone go check on jopatmc :p

Never mind. There he is.

7. r080704

r080704 Member

Clutchfans - where you can't do anything right!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this would be wise, except that Orlando might still be holding out hope he re-signs long term. In that case, they won't be able to trade him until after the moratorium. I hope they aren't thinking that, because that bridge appears to be burned, and the draft is the best time to trade him.

9. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

agreed.

i'll do anything for us to get a superstar even if it involves us trading half our team for it. None of our players should be considered "untouchable".

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i love this. hope it happens.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im torn whether getting him at the trade deadline would have actually been a good thing due to

-back injury that ended up happening days later
    -poor support from influencing members on his part
    -poor lack of judgement on his part to seek a clear direction in his career

I think you have to aquire a star whenever that star is available, but you couldn't have picked a worse time. Maybe he verbally committs to resigning with Houston and maybe he doesn't, but this would have been a huge blow had he been in this state and had the Rockets had to yank on his skirt the rest of the season in the midst of a playoff run to try and get him to sign longterm over the summer. Then he goes down with the injury, now what do you do then? Ouch.

Now, if the Rockets are able to aquire him this summer, I think its a great move. You have a full season where he should be healthy and you have next February to make further trades to put a contender around him that Orlando could not do.

It could actually be a huge blessing in disguise that they were not able to aquire him at the trade deadline this March.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

only if

talking = doing
    getting #14 pick = competitive

-----------------------------------------------------------

Talks too much, done nothing, but 'THEY' need to shut up.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, rather have Pau Gasol.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Trying to swing a trade is doing something.

Some people just love to b**** and be miserable.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Screw Dwight Howard! Lyin two faced b*stard.... I'd rather have a squad of players who appreciate a team that's willing to pay them millions to play a game...

Just say 'no' to prima donnas!

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

In terms DM might appreciate: I'd rather acquire the Unibrow, if we're going to risk significant assets on an unproven commodity. Dwight's back surgery, IMHO, clouds his future value. He might come back strong; he might rack up a bunch of DNPs. Unibrow would sell just as many tickets, and might be a better player in both the short and long term.

I shudder to think what we'd have to give up to get that #1 pick. Let's all pray we get at least a little luck in the lottery!

17. MadMax

you're joking, right? please say you're joking.

18. MadMax

there is nothing...nothing at all on this roster...that would cause charlotte to give up that #1 pick. sorry.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Funny dude. :)

Hey, if we gonna do it, we gotta do it up right.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm obviously all for selling the farm for Howard. You can't overpay for the top center in the NBA.