1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets trade Lowry, stay focused on Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

While lowry was my facorite player last year followed by lee, i am not dissapointed with the moves morey has made... i agree with you clutch that it is a more attractable piece for orlando... i dont think its more valueable than lowry, but potential is an expensive word and the perception of a lottery pick is more valuable trade asset during offseason... vice versa i think lowry would be much more valueable at trade deadline... it really depends on what the team your trading for wants and orlando wants picks and youth... i said about a week ago when the nets were supposedly close to landing dwight that it was a leak by orlandos FO to make teams offer up more and start a bidding war... it also showed everyone that they truely value future picks... i stand behind morey and aleays have... whether we get dwight or not he puts us in a flexible situation... if we land dwight we have found our direction and star, if not we have found our direction and rebuild... people like to say moreys gameplan is flawed because it relys on so many factors that if one factor goes wrong his plan fails... incorrect... if one step fails, he has beautifully set it up with flexibility to easily go in another direction... all his moves carry a motive, a backup motive and different layers with different directions...

Great write up clutch...

2. Asian Sensation

It's true though.

Clearly better than Lowry:

Rose
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Deron Williams
    Wall
    Curry
    Rondo
    Nash
    Tony Parker
    Irving

Will be better than Lowry:

Kemba Walker
    Ricky Rubio
    Brandon Knight (maybe)

Players in the same peer group as Lowry:

Jeremy Lin
    Jrue Holiday
    Goran Dragic
    Ty Lawson
    Jameer Nelson

Players Lowry would be an upgrade over:

Jarret Jack
    Devin Harris
    Calderon
    Sessions
    Felton
    Chalmers

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Depending on whether or not the Rockets can field a strong supporting cast around him, I am tentatively still hoping the Rockets can get Howard.

However -- has anyone considered how awkward the press conference announcing Howard and showing off his #12 Rockets jersey would be. Would Howard even come to it? Would he come and say "I don't want to be here, please trade me"? Would he wear one of those luchador masks, possibly for the entire season?

4. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

If Martin goes to Atlanta then who are we sending to the Magic besides picks and rookies? I don't think salary wise we could make it work without Martin going to Orlando

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love the trade if we get Howard, but if we don't we need to trade Scola too. That man will win 20 games for us if we're not careful. Tank or do not tank, but don't be in the middle.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Howard or not, I like this deal simply because it is a rebuilding move. I still hope Lin's offer is matched because I think that is a step in the wrong direction.

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

For everyone who is afraid of this, dont be. If he gets traded here (33 percent I think) he will NOT walk. The competitive places like Chicago, NY and LA are over the cap. Those also happen to be the only cities that will compensate him in endorsements for the 25-57 million he will lose for walking. Dallas and Atlanta will have cap room, but not any additional endorsements to make up for what he leaves on the table. He needs to be traded to one of the three big cities now or at the trade deadline or he's stuck.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day people make the best of a situation.

I don't think we can build a contender around Howard in time to keep him. But I do think if we don't get him now we will be in excellent shape to rebuild.

9. Numero.Uno

Numero.Uno Member

Why do we need to build a contender around in time to keep him? Were the Nets a contender last year? They still were able to keep D-Will. Honestly, if Houston does get Howard, I expect it to be very much like the Nets situation. We will likely not be great this year with Howard and a bunch of other players, although I would still think 40 wins just because he is that good. Then, next year Houston would have the money to bring Howard's best friend (Josh Smith) over as I believe he is a UFA and then we would be on to something. I would equate doing that to being like the Joe Johnson move except Houston wouldn't have to give up a lot of draft picks to get him.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

There is no need to get Dwight Howard. There is a light cast around him now. He wont stay to rebuild with us. That is not what he is looking for. Losing players on our own roster left and right wont impress upon him enough to stay. Delaying the process of eventually rebuilding only delays the process of actually competing. No you are not competing for a championship if he comes. Depending on Chris Paul to sign with us is not a plan if none of them share the dream of being here. You can do it. It is possible to get him. Be careful what you wish for though.

11. Summer Song Giver

I have a couple of questions regarding Howard...

I have two questions regarding the Howard situation which I believe all of Morey's moves ultimately lead back to.

If we trade for Howard, the contract situation, we have his Bird rights correct, which means we can sign him outright for more than any other team next summer, what is the difference in a bird rights deal and non bird rights deal for Dwight Howard? I would like to know the amount that Howard would be walking away from should Morey play hardball with Howard, play here in Houston or lose X amount of dollars over the life of your next contract.

My next question is regarding Brooklyn. I know Howard has little to no leverage on where he is dealt if Orlando chooses that route, but is Brooklyn in a position cap wise now that they have Joe Johnson and Deron resigned to accept Howard's salary in either a Bird rights deal (S&T) or non Bird rights deal?

12. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think its a fair strategy. Get Dwight and try to convince him to stay. If he doesn't then rebuild and get super high draft picks and compete for a championship when Lebron and Wade are older and slower.

NOBODY is beating Miami for the next 3-4 years. Morey knows this.

13. Nero

Nero Member

I am going to ask you this again, since you keep spouting this same thing over and over:

Do you SERIOUSLY believe Howard would walk away from 30 MILLION DOLLARS just because he doesn't 'like' Houston?

Is that your serious position?

And don't bother with the 'under the table deals' crap and the notion that he would somehow make over thirty million MORE in endorsements elsewhere than he would here, because that is preposterous.

14. wgray

wgray Member

why get Dwight Howard he does not want to be here

15. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd still take Howard.

16. Pete the Cheat

I feel a bet coming on...:p

17. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

How is Howard the path to greatness? One season??

I still all for one-and-done Dwight but at least lesser stars would stay here longer than a season because they're not petulant children...

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He is gonna walk away from Houston. Thats the important thing. How he gets to that point is not my problem. I am being realistic on what Morey can and cant do. Some of you seem to be a little unrealistic in your GMs ability. He is like any man with strengths and weakness. One of those things he cant do is convince others to stay or to come. With the biggest diva who needs to be convinced to stay? Having Morey who is not good at it? You are all asking for something unrealistic.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Just like a poor man who wants to date a hot young lady. Can you marry me? I am working in Madonalds, living in a apt, but I love you very much, please marry me!

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

For those worried we would only be "renting" Howard, where(specifically) do you suggest he goes if he does not resign with the Rockets? Seems to me his "preferred" destinations are all tapped out.