1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets trade Lowry, stay focused on Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In 2008 at training camp in Austin at the UT facility, Les Alexander was there to visit the team. He and Daryl were talking and then walking out and I distinctly remember Daryl saying they were heading out to PF Chang's. It's been stuck in my head ever since as their restaurant of choice.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And you didn't report it at the time? How dare you! ;-D-

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Stop sitting on information, Clutch.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets can somehow get Dwight Howard, they will put themselves right in position to be a suitor for Chris Paul next summer.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't think CP3 is going to leave the Clippers. They're quietly building up a more solid team than last year.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Not only does Clutch own the and run the forum.......he owns and runs your mind !

In all seriousness he does bring up some very compelling points but at the end of the day if we are truly rebuilding and starting from scratch i wish we would have started before last year. In addition why offer a guy like asik 25 million? I guess we will just have to watch and see.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed they are building a nice roster. But Sterling still owns the Clippers and you can never discount his stinginess. And if the Rockets got Howard, he might be able to convince CP3 that this is the place to be. You never know. At minimum, it gets the Rockets in the conversation which they wouldn't be with the current roster.

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

The Lowry trade...ok with it because I know this team. Daryl is up to something big. Anyone that TRULY follows this team understands that the Rocket don't tank or rebuild...they reload. He will go after Howard and give Orlando what they want. He create almost extra cap room to probably bring in Hedo's contract too. I know that Scola is coveted around the league and ATL is in need for a 2 guard NOW....Can see Scola, Martin and youth go to ATL for Dwight's best friend in the next coming weeks.

An earlier post said something I've always known about basketball players. Most of them never want to be traded.....but teams that take that risk and bring those stars in anyway can benefit big time.

Deron didn't want to go to New Jersey....Webber didn't want to go to Sacramento. They end up resigning because bottom line is...your current team and pay 20mil more when a max superstar is involved and that speaks volumes. When it comes down to it....$$$$$ matters. Bottom line is that the Rockets can build around any star...morey has proven he can build a team with his eyes closed...great scouting and drafting. He has just had issues getting a star. I just hope this works out because if he doesn't....he will never hear the end of it. I will always appreciate his willingness to try to land great players, yet keep this team good...but fair weathered fans won't see that. It's not good enough and that's sad.

2 people like this.
  9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Jedi mind trick????

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought Dragic gave Phoenix a discount, that he wasn't offering us? Can someone please show me a reputable source that says Dragic offered us to match the PHO offer?

Also, $5m, $5.2m, $9.xm is actually pretty far away from Dragic's 3-yr deal, imo. That said, I probably would have matched, too, but we were even invited to match?

11. rocketsmetalspd

Like the trade and IF lands DH then it is win! Even if he does not want to be here and lets say he still wants to go out on the FA market next year, well the only way he gets top dollar is through a SnT and that will benefit the Rockets. Either way it is a gamble but one the organization needs to take.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Funnny.

I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl has probably worked out some innovative way field a filling meal for two by ordering multiple starters, no main courses, with rights to move up and down from the Ahi tuna rolls to the Oolong tea chilean sea bass depending on market value, and staying under his Rocket per diem cap.

4 people like this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL....this is why i love ClucthFans :grin:

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL... actually I had to do a board search and alas, am disappointed that I did not. I just remember wishing I could get there and snag a table nearby, hiding my face behind some lettuce wraps to listen in.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Took me some time to stop laughing ... that's awesome :)

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets FO like their asian food?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3801291&postcount=115

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Clutch, do you think the Lakers are going to be willing to trade Bynum?

18. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

This off season is getting more interesting than the regular season! Watching DM doing his job, I guess I am learning something. He is clearly thinking 3, 4 or 5 steps ahead of everybody, including all other GMs. I am very sure DM has back up plans for... his back up plan.

Lots of question marks.... What if we dont get Howard? I do not think they will go for Gasol or Jose Smith who are not superstars. Will they wait for CP3?

What if they get DW? How can they be contender? Who will be playing with DW? I guess DM won't trade KM and Scola as they will be very good playing with Howard.

And will Howard leave after a year? I think DM is betting on Howard will stay. ( See Derron Williams. )

19. Nero

Nero Member

Hey Clutch,

Excellent write-up, and both your cheers and your concerns are spot-on.

I would suggest one thing though, adding one additional element to the information, so people can get this between their ears: assuming Morey DOES land Howard, what is the response to the volumes of people who insist he would only be a rental, and will bolt after one year?

What is your best response to that issue?

I think if people truly understood both the CBA realities, as well as the other relevant teams' salary-cap issues going forward, it might make many people calm down quite a bit.

(Also, quite a few people seem to think the Russian will somehow be able to do under-the-table deals with Howard, or that somehow he will make over 30 million more in endorsements in Brooklyn than he would with Houston.. to me, that is absurd, what are your thoughts?)

1 person likes this.
  20. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

if DM couldnt get it done with 3 1st round picks, what would that lottery pick do?