1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Greg Smith is the last guy on the bench right now. he won't be getting any minutes unless someone gets hurt

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

This is the 4th page, and everything seems to be fine. This must be the calm before the storm that I hear so much about.

3. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Woah, way better. Casspi can rebound, semi-dribble more than a few steps, pump-fake (although I haven't seen it yet ;)), have better shooting range, and make really decent passes. Novak is a statue at the 3pt line. I'll take Casspi's inferior shooting % over Novak because of all the extra stuff that he can do.

4. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Either Smith or Asik will be gone by trade deadline.

5. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

This not gonna work. they just gonna double and trap Lin. Then you got no defense and no offense. Rest of those seat warmers will just fold.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

If its not for a significant players then Asik will still be here for the foreseeable future.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is the right move. Lin's game is better suited for second unit. Lin has never fit well with Harden. Harden is one of the Rox franchise players so Lin has to get in where he can fit in at this point which is the second unit. Deep down he's probably relieved and may flourish again.

8. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

:) Every bench player is going to get a big contract next year a la Novak and Fields.

The way I see it, Jeremy "lost" the starting job because:

(a) Harden can and likes to run the offense, he likes his ISOs and needs space, and he doesn't need a PG. This is justifiable because he does a great job scoring and making plays.

(b) Bev cannot run an offense with the second unit. We saw that last season when neither Harden nor Jeremy were on the court our offense went down the toilet - it was each player on their own. Basically Bev got rewarded and Jeremy got punished for Bev's inability to run an offense.

I don't buy the "Bev plays better defense" cr@p. You have the best defender in Howard and Asik in the first unit; Harden has said he wanted to guard the other team's best player; and Parsons is a good defender. Why do you need to put all your best defenders in one unit?

A demotion is a demotion, no point in pretending that it's something else.

Having said that, I do believe that Jeremy will thrive playing with the second unit, having the ball in his hand and getting everyone involved. That's his brand of basketball. The downside is I don't see him getting a lot of play time.

1 person likes this.
  9. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Hot-Wok Lin

How about 'The Hot-Wok' Lin or 'The Wokking' Lin? He can surely heat or 'cook' up the offense of the 2nd unit. LOL. :grin:

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Casspi can also do a decent post up and turn-around fade away. He's been the steal of the preseason so far for the Rockets.

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

And when he does get minutes, he'll collect 3 fouls in 3 minutes and be back on the bench before the next commercial break.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i wish it had come out from McHale's mouth.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i agree

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned he needs to be back in the D-league. Guy looks like a fringe NBA player at best. He shouldn't be getting major minutes on a contender. That's why unless they get a star or near caliber star player for Asik, you can't trade Asik as long as Smith is the alternative back up 5.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Patrick Beverley and Jeremy Lin: Two great tastes that taste great together.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Marteen

Marteen Member

All LOFs faint.

This was a wise decision.

17. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Big deal, I said that after the first preseason game.

18. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Lin about to make the 2nd unit look like all-stars like he did with the Knicks.

19. Normalus

Normalus Member

How many second-third chances Rockets will get? Imagine Al and Zeller against Howard and Asik. Back to HS for last two LOL

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I still think Lin will probably play about 30 minutes if he continues as the 6th man for awhile.