1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Playbook: The Primary Baseline Out of Bounds Set

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Oct 30, 2013.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm confused. Where did you see them running this, Jimes?

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Thanks, but no, I do not coach.

I occasionally help out a friend of mine when he can't make time to coach his 16-18 year olds, but it's really more about teaching fundamentals and getting the kids to to have fun out there.
    I have a few other coaching-friends here in the area that are kinda enough to ask me for input whenever I'm watching their teams and I do spend a great deal of time watching/studying basketball, but it's really just a hobby of mine -- I simply enjoy looking at the strategy side of things.

I suppose I must not be totally clueless since a bunch of coaches, scouts, video coordinators, as well as the great John Hollinger (not sure how that one happened :)) follow me on twitter -- despite (or perhaps rather because) me not tweeting a whole lot -- or have subscribed to my youtube channel.
    Still, I'll be the first one to admit that there's some stuff I don't know.

All options that the Rockets have implemented/gone to so far are included in the video compilation.
    As for your question, I can't really follow, sorry. The guard/wing in the opposite corner is cutting through the lane to set an additional screen on the other side?

Anyhow, as some of you pointed out the Rockets indeed went to this set twice in the Bobcats game.
    Of course, after I pointed how Harden rarely goes for the long two, he did just that, when he probably did so less than 5 times out of this set all of last season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mXr_EFiTtKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The second time around Dwight didn't set all that great a down-screen for Parsons, making it pretty impossible for Parsons to get separation from his defender, considering Parsons isn't quite as good as Harden to begin with, as far as adjusting to what their defender does.
    Still the Rockets ended up scoring on that possession, as, as I pointed out, with Howard on the team now, the Rockets have the luxury to go to him in the post anytime neither of the initial options are there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H3D5WZoXplI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Watching the game, I noticed when they ran that play. Easier to notice things like that when you see a video of them doing it over and over.

It was cool. Thanks.

4. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

This is awesome, thank you! I just showed it to my wife and I saw this light bulb go off over her head :)

5. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Ahhhh... here's the reason Parsons passed Dwight the ball

McHale needs to come up with a new set

6. basketballholic

I have a suggestion on a new out-of-bounds play. I think it'll work better than the above in the right situations. Here's the play. We'll call it Moses and the Red Sea:

Dwight inbounds the ball and immediately runs off the court and into the stands up into the red rowdies. The red rowdies part like the Red Sea did for Moses and Dwight runs through them. Then they close back up on Dwight's defender as he chases Dwight up the steps kinda like the Red Sea closed up on the Egyptian army after Moses went through it. The other 4 guys simply spread out and play 4 x 4 basketball with the paint open. Can somebody diagram that for me? (Can I get a witness?)

This play should be used in the 4th quarter when the game differential is less than 10 and there are more than 2 minutes left. I'm sure it will be ultra-effective.

PS: Casspi will love it.

#46 basketballholic, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

During Hack-a-Dwight, Dwight should immediately run to the Rockets Power Dancers, who can make a wall around him so he can't be fouled

Those dancers are pretty athletic, I think it can work

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

This is terrific, great work.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Thanks.

Here's an update for ya: The Rockets have implemented a post-up wrinkle for Dwight out of the same alignment.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RC_e7K55oNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starts out the same... 1-4 flat alignment, Dwight releases high. Instead of passing to the PF however, Dwight will hit the guard/wing in the near corner who comes up to the wing himself.
    The guy who inbounded the ball will then set a rip screen for Dwight to get him position on the block.

Obviously there are various ways to post guys up. Cross-screens, rip-screens, some sort of staggered screens, having guys make entry passes of zipper cuts, etc...
    For reference, the Blazers are probably the team that uses rip screens for post-ups (out of the half-court) the most.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tU14YpweoLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I probably should have mentioned that the Rockets may have trouble getting proper spacing to effectively run their BOB flex action with Howard and Asik on the court together.
    I guess I thought it goes without saying. Teams have and will sag off Asik to clog up the lane, which will obviously make it hard(er) for the Rockets to effectively run this action.

#49 HMMMHMM, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. Normalus

Normalus Member

Bump. Lately I recognized we do this one pretty well, almost every single time we get open lay-up :cool: I saw last game it didn't work once because defender wasn't close enough on Capela (no respect given I guess) and helped out on JSmooth cut.

But it looks good, do we use old out of bounds play or it's died once Parsons left?

[youtube]8mr0bII6qDU[/youtube]

11. basketballholic

Good post OP.

When I watched this video, first thing that popped into my mind was DMo and James running Princeton. And I salivated.

12. dmoneybangbang

You are mistaken, the rockets have no strategy other than McHale clapping....

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

thanks HMMMMMMMMMM ridiculously great breakdown.... a superb addition to the GARM

as a downer sad seeing happy Omer playing for the rockets ;)