1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Playbook: Examining Jeremy Lin's favorite set

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Feb 24, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

What offense the Rockets run is not an opinion.

2. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

It's fantastic showing the same play (with variations) several times. Every time he does one of these I start seeing the play happening on the court... or, rather, start recognizing it as a distinct thing.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yes, I actually started as a freshman at PG for my high school. Then it was integrated. Yes I am that old. And suddenly I was staring up at a dude who was 3 inches taller who had me by a foot in vertical. I quickly retreated to the golf team.

4. hollywoodMarine

My question was regarding the signals, and whether they ever change them.

I know you guys were debating whether the Rockets run set plays, but there is at least agreement that there must be some kind of reading and reacting going on correct (even if it may not be the specific torbett's R&R)? In this case, let's say Lin, or Harden, or Bev, reads the defense and decides to react by signaling to set a formation and some specific sequences of actions associated with that formation (or offensive set, whichever term is the correct one lol). Wouldn't this whole reaction part, that is, the actual sequence of offensive actions, be much more effective if the defense does not know what the signal means (and therefore cannot plan for what's coming?)

If, as HMMMHMM mentioned, "(assistant) coaches know the play-call or signal the opposing team just made" and then "[can] call out what is coming or make defensive calls, i.e. tell their players how to guard it," I mean this just seems like a very effective way for great defensive teams whose coaches pay attention to this stuff to stifle their opponents' offense.

This is why I am wondering why teams don't change this up more often, since HMMMHMM suggested that maybe some teams do change them just once for the playoffs. And this also made me wonder if the Rockets also change the signals at all. I would guess that when really good defensive teams know what's coming all the time when it comes to the Rockets offense and plan accordingly, that's when the ball can get sticky... because why try to set anything up and why move the ball if ultimately the defense has a good idea what you're going to do? Then again, Rockets' offense has never really been a weak point, so may be I'm inquiring about the wrong thing lol

5. bmd

bmd Member

It really doesn't even matter if the other team knows what set you're running. They have to play D straight up. If they start cheating over anticipating what you are going to do, you make them pay for it depending on what they do.

Offenses are designed to get the other team to switch and rotate and make a mistake. When they do, you have to make the right play based on what they do.

Basketball itself is a read and react game no matter what offense you run.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Since I do not believe that the Rockets offense does anything other than R&R I am the wrong person to ask. Except of course after time outs.

7. jocar

jocar Member

Thx HMMM! These playbook threads are always amusing and informative. I like how the plays don't really appear to be much of a planned attack, we get to see its variations.

Dumb? question..What advantage would a "set play" with one single plan and intention have over an r&r play, which has more options and outs?

8. valorita

valorita Member

Jeremy's favorite plays (and how to fix them)
    1. the forward lob/turnover - when in doubt, over throw to out of bounds rather than cause a live ball steal.
    2. the jump pass/turnover - never jump unless u shoot
    3. the get into the lane then lose your dribble move - just shoot

Basically, if he corrects these three things, it will help minimize his weaknesses on offense.
    Defense is another story.

1 person likes this.
  9. jocar

jocar Member

*until we get to see its variations*

10. bmd

bmd Member

The players know what defense the defenders are in immediately. It's very easy to see. The only time you need to change your offense based on the defense is if they switch from man to zone. And it's obvious that the defense has switched.

I'm not sure what the Rockets' mean when they say they have a "read and react" offense, since I am not at their practices and don't know how their offense is run and the rules of it. Does it mean reading your own teammates and reacting based on what they do? Or does it mean reading the defenders and make an appropriate move based on how they are playing you? I don't know.

But read and react doesn't mean read the defense and react by calling a play that will beat their defense. NBA teams play man to man the vast majority of the time. It's not like football where a quarterback has to read the defense before the play starts.

You can know exactly what is coming and still have a hard time guarding it. Why? Because there is no telling what the offense will do. Take a pick and roll for example. Depending on how the individual defenders play the pick and roll, the offense can read what they are doing on the fly and make an appropriate play. For example, if the guy guarding the ball goes underneath the screen, the guy with the ball is open for a split second... enough time to shoot. So if the defender goes underneath, the offensive guy with the ball reads that and takes the 3. If a defender is cheating off of you, you read him and can make a backdoor cut because he's slightly out of position.

If you drive the lane and the defense doesn't pick you up, you make a layup. If you drive the lane and they do collapse, you kick it out to the open man.

Basically, the way basketball is played, every offensive player is reading the defenders on the fly and making the appropriate plays based on what the defense does.

It's very hard for defenders to all play 100% perfect defense on every play. Somebody, somewhere is going to make a mistake. And since 5 guys have to form a unit, if one guy makes a mistake the entire defense breaks down.

For example, if just one defender is a little late closing out on a shooter, the entire defense is now behind. Somebody will be open for a 3 in a couple passes.

If you beat a defender off the dribble, the defense is in bad shape. Now other players have to help to clean up his mess, and every player that helps has to leave his own man open. It's up to the offense to find the open man and stay ahead of the defenses rotations.[/QUOTE]

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We have a serious semantic issue. Horns, or Triangle or flex etc. are offensive sets. Or formations as HMMM likes to term it. They are just initial positions on the court. A play is a screen or a P&R or a dribble penetration etc.

12. bmd

bmd Member

Umm... okay? I know this...

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stop trying to convince jtr he's wrong. He's the smartest guy in the world and knows everything about basketball. Nobody is smart enough to talk basketball with him.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. Nice write up Jonas.

Like others on here, I always learn something when you make a write-up. Please keep 'em coming!

15. steady

steady Member

Nice read. Thanks for taking the time.

It's not surprising to me that Lin likes this play because it captures the kind of 1-2 punch involving misdirection and breaking down the defense that I think Lin likes.

It's also a great play for when you have two attacking guards - those clips were fun to see!

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I'm not surprised Lin likes this. In NY PNR based offense is his bread and butter, but we mostly run the spreadout read and react offense. So any set with picks would somehow utilize his offensive instincts.

I watched a few games of PHX lately, and noticed that Dragic is literally getting picks set for him almost every possession in half court sets.

17. ada32

ada32 Member

Great write up Jonas! 5 Stars article.

I learned a few thing from your article. Please keep them coming!

18. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Outstanding work as usual. I liked the music too! Please keep these articles coming. They are great as is the discussion that follows.

19. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

That's the difference if you are the star or the supporting cast. I am sure Dragic is the star of the Suns just like when Lin was the star in NY during Linsanity. Too bad this is now 2014 and Lin is just playing a supporting role and he doesn't get plays to suit him. He help make plays to suit others.

20. pakattak

pakattak Member

Lin just ran the play to get Harden that open 3