1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Fans Can Give Thanks For The Things That Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Pete the Cheat

I like how people who consider themselves "realists" are generally s bunch of whiney b****es.

This would have been more apropo if it had been moved to the fire Morey thread. But I guess it's fitting that this little light bulb took an extra three months to flicker.

2. pacmania

pacmania Member

I agree with what was said in the article and am a great fan of Morey's versatility and critical thinking.

His ultimate goal is to win a championship. If you look at recent history, the Celtics had two seven footers manning the frontcourt in Garnett and Perkins and this got them over the top. The Lakers had Gasol and Bynum and this allowed them to dominate for a while. The Thunder finally got over the top with two seven footers in Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins after trading Jeff Green.

The only team that seems to have won with a small ball approach is the Miami heat although one may argue that Scott Brooks made a monumental mistake by matching small with small playing Fisher alongside Westbrook thereby eliminating whatever height advantage the Thunder had.

3. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

How thankful

Just going to post this in here since I am unable to post in the main board.

How thankful are we now looking back at it that David Stern rejected the Pau Gasol trade?

We wouldve not only been stuck with Pau, but rumors were out that we wanted to sign Nene also. And we all know at the time we were basically desperate for anything that wasnt the same old 14th pick 9 seeded team every year. Obviously, we wouldve never had the assets to acquire James Harden. And we wouldve been stuck with Pau's contract this season and next along with Nene the next 3-4 at a damn near max cost. Talk about tied down.

I guess all things happen for a reason. As our current situation stands I wouldnt mind Pau, but if we wouldve acquired him two years ago. We wouldve been stuck in medicority another 3-4 years. Maybe the basketball gods are finally looking down on us after Yao retiring. Houston is no doubt one of the best basketball cities in the country when things are going good.

Couple of things I'd like to say:

Real excited about D-Mo's starting debut. His intensity and shooting touch will fit in beautifully. DelTHREEno has fit in well, but lets be honest. Hes best suited for a sharp shooting role off the bench.

And finally, T-Rob....i dont care what anyone in the national or local media says. The kid is going to be a star. No coaching in Sacramento. Not a good situation at all. From one of the worst franchises to one of the best!

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wonder if that trade went down, how we would think of Morey now.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I can't believe Morey got our second star in Harden to play next to Gasol.

Asik is looking like a steal after nabbing him for only Budinger+CLee.

Lin has been a big surprise coming from 12th man to 6th man, he and Dragic really compete. I wonder if we'll sign him again this summer when he's a FA.

1 person likes this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

It was just a dreadful trade for the Hornets & Rockets. The Lakers getting CP3 & setting themselves up for Dwight was mind-numbing. The Kobe & Dwight drama wouldn't be an issue with no Nash, therefore no Pringles, who has sided with Kobe. If Kobe wanted drama, he would've been told, "Out with the old, and in with the new".

Thankfully, the Chicken man came through for Rockets fans once more.

http://www.am570radio.com/pages/TheLocal.html?article=10688819

7. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Can't agree with the part about Dwight. Would have been totally worth it to get Dwight Howard. I love James Harden - but Howard is on another level talent wise. He's just hurt right now. As for re-signing him - it's possible we lose him but I don't see many players coming off a serious injury turning down the extra money/years we could offer him.
    If he stayed, there's definitely the possibility of another star wanting to come here and compete against OKC and the Spurs.

8. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

For rejecting the Pau Gasol deal and that stopping us from signing Nene to a horrific contract.

And as we all know, that wouldve stopped us from ever getting Harden.

I guess everything happens for a reason. Maybe the basketball gods are finally looking down on Maurie and The Rockets post Yao era. Its a great time.

One more thing...I think D-Mo's passion and fire on the court is going to translate for him. Obviously hes got the talent. Like many European players do, but most are intimidated. He is not, and I believe he will flourish in the starting role, starting tonight.

Just wanted to point this out, seems like no one has really stopped and thought how close we were to being in mediocrity another 3-4 years. Close call....

9. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Im on here all the time. Never seen anyone really bring it up...

Its just crazy to think how pissed we all were when he rejected the deal. And it obviously ended up being for the best.

10. Raven

Raven Member

It would not have been one of Morey's best moves. It smacked of desperation. Perhaps Les was leaning on him hard?

11. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have to disagree somewhat because if the trade had gone through there was a pretty good chance that the Rockets last year could have gotten a top 4 seed in the West. But I will admit that it has turned out way better.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Lowry-Gasol-Nene
    (max-cap?)
    vs.

Lin-Harden-Parsons-Asik
    (max-cap)

or:

Lin-Harden-Gasol-Nene (think this was attainable)

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Even though this topic has been discussed...

I'm more grateful to have been able to watch the Lakers crumble after failing to land Chris Paul who would be doing wonders for that team as opposed to aqcuiring an aging Steve Nash and a crippled Dwight Howard.

I'm glad to see everything came together for us and not for them.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Without a shred of a doubt, this one.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

The other day on 790, Morey answered this question. He mentioned it's still a good move at that time. And he'd be able to find a way and trade for Harden afterwards.

Remember we were sending out Scola(amnested)+Martin(piece to OKC)+Gragic(walked away)+NY pick for Gasol. Gasol will be back healthy again, and the price we paid is very low from today's perspective. Minnesota in the summer was trying to trade for Gasol with Derrick Williams and picks.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Yeah I'm in the camp that thinks this is better. I'm certainly not unhappy with our current position in any way, but that team would ball hard.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

A mediocre move that would have locked us into mediocrity. The same kind of mediocre move as when fans think we should go for Millsap or Jefferson.. or Granger or Smith

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

As a poster noted above, Morey specifically said they still could have made the Harden deal if that trade would have gone through, meaning the key piece was the Toronto draft pick and not Martin.

Of course people will ignore that and still post stupid crap such as thanking David Stern.

We could have had

Harden
    Parsons
    Nene
    Gasol

and been a contender right now.