1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Fans Can Give Thanks For The Things That Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the excellent article - and I totally agree with this. I just hope we don't hand out a max or near-max contract this off-season to someone who is not really a max player and who will help us into the playoffs, but never to a title.

I'm really excited about our current core. Actually, the thing I am wondering most about is how we can keep Chandler Parsons, because I think he will be outperforming his contract by so much that teams will be lining up to really pay him when his current deal expires. Until then, he is probably the best bargain in the entire league, both on the court and marketability-wise.

2. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Absolutely love that we "lost" in the DH sweepstakes... Last thing this team needed was a media circus on "if" he would resign or move on... I, for one, am so much happier with the direction of the team, not that what I think means much.... :)

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Our staring line up needs a Robert Horry type of player and improved point guard play. Another wing player off the bench would not hurt.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Also thankful for the collapse of the Gasol deal.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's weird. Lately I've been thinking Chandler Parsons is similar to Robert Horry in a lot of ways. Of course, it's been so many years since Horry was with us...

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

The sole purpose of "tanking" is for the reward at the end, the high draft pick. A high draft pick that the Rockets were never close to. Where the Rockets are today has absolutely nothing to do with that. We are here due to shrewd management, patience, and good fortune. And impressively, all without tanking, just as management set out to do.

If you think the key to acquiring James Harden, a potential superstar, was the 14th freakin pick(one which we could have easily made up the value for with our other assets), then I don't know what to say. Whatever allows tankers to pat yourselves on the back, I guess.

#46 CXbby, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Gotta disagree with that. Most tankers, myself included, seemed to realize that you either have to draft elite talent or use high picks to trade for someone. But rebuilding when your best asset is 14th pick talent ain't gonna get it done. No potential high lotto pick (Raptors), no Harden.

3 ways to get talent are voa draft, trade and free agency. The first two typically require high draft picks and we kept striking out on the 3rd.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You start off wrong, and then it goes downhill from there.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I guess if you don't even understand how your own strategy works, you go no where. Thankfully the people in charge of running the team aren't just in the business of message boards.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I think the point that Clutch is making and that you are missing is that without a lottery draft pick (Toronto pick) the Harden trade might not have gone through.

What he's saying is that the Rockets took care of an entire season of tanking in one off season by trading Lowry to the Raptors. So yes, it was shrewd management. And that's more of a testament to how well Morey is performing than anything else.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't help you if you don't read.

I know you're bitter at me right now because you were a dick in the McHale memorial thread and you got an infraction for it. That's fine. Don't mix up facts as a result. I know well how the strategy works.

You, apparently, do not.

12. GageD

GageD Member

That was fun way to looking at it. Tankers got it right. Bullets were dodged from bad trades and from impatient win,win,win crowd. Rockets took right step toward future this year.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's time to thank Stern for saving the Rockets and Morey

Without Stern vetoing that proposed deal that would have sent Gasol last summer to us, the Rockets would be in total mediocrity instead of this prime position that they are in right now.

Without the veto, we would have been stuck with a broken down player in Gasol who is on a fat contract that no other teams in the NBA want, as well as Nene a player who is similarly overpaid and can't stay in the court.

Rockets would have never been able to get James Harden because they wouldn't have had Kevin Martin who would be in New Orleans. Then, CP3 would have been playing with Kobe and the Lakers in all likelihood D12 would have been in Lakers too.

Lakers would have had CP3, Kobe, and D12 and still be elite even way past the time Kobe retires, while Houston would have been run down and have no future.

Stern saved Morey's job and the Houston Rockets future.

[​IMG]

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'd have to agree.

In retrospect i am thoroughly happy that the trade did not go down.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Given he didnt do it to help the Rockets in anyway, I will pass on any kind of thanks :p

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Never wanted Gasol/Nene on this team. would much rather of had Marc instead of Pau.

17. bgrice

bgrice Member

i was thankful of stern the day he vetoed that pau trade

18. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Say what you will about Stern, but I'll always have a spot in my heart for him because of the veto.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My whole thing stemmed from management decisions to make moves to build around yao ming after the laker playoff injury. To me, that probably cost the rockets a couple of years and maybe even some better players. We can go on all day about that, but I will move on to the botched trade.

I hate the idea of a trade when you don't get the better player. In the case with the gasol trade,it wasn't even close. Not to mention, they were gonna gift wrap cp3 and howard to the lakers. That was terrible enough in itself. Not to mention, the rockets would've been loaded down with nene contract and injuries along with an unmotivated gasol. I'm glad it was cancelled and morey kept working to get a true star/supstar type guy in harden. I would rather miss the playoffs or enter as a low seed vs make the playoffs as a 5 seed with no upside.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Except Pau Gasol dominated the Olympics just a few months ago, so his poor performances currently has a lot to do with the Lakers misusing him as well as his lack of motivation on that team.

With Lowry, we would still be able to acquire the Toronto pick. A package of Olympic Pau Gasol and Toronto pick for Harden and fillers is arguably better than K-mart, Lamb and Toronto pick. After all, we did acquire Harden before the season started, and the value of Olympic Pau Gasol was sky high before the season started.

Also, without the Veto, we would have Jeremy Lin at a much cheaper contract. Linsanity at NYK would never have happened.

There are still a ton of other factors that would favor us had the veto not occurred.