1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Rockets Draft Thread (Rockets select Luther Head at 24)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hodge is Michael Ray Richardson without the drug problem.

2. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

lol i think that comparison is a bit of a stretch

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Taft's biggest problems this past season were his inconsistency and his passiveness. I attribute some of that to how Jamie Dixon likes to platoon multiple players in his frontcourt, making too many substitutions in an effort to give a guy like Taft around 25 minutes a night and keep him "fresh." He didn't need that, he's a difference maker that needed to be on the floor more often and that frustrated Taft.

I don't know where you are trying to go with the "betterment of the team" argument. He's a soft spoken PF that rarely has the ball in his hands. He wasn't lazy, he wasn't a distraction he just functioned in the sense that a traditional forward would. If your goal is to cast blame, shine that light on at Carl Krauser because if there's anybody whose attitude and style of play was detrimental to that team, it was Krauser and certainly not Taft. [There's a reason Krauser's anticipated announcement that he's not returning to school is considered good news around these parts]

I think he will be a fine pro, he's not a bad kid he just has some motivation issues that I attribute to a non-ideal situation playing at Pitt. It was a poorly run offense that didn't utilize him properly and his motivation and killer instinct suffered because of it. ...and i'm not making this up, i've heard 1st hand from close friends of Taft on the bball team at my school that played against him & know him well.

He wasn't as fortunate as someone like Ike Diogu was where everything revolved around him. He wasn't in an effective and properly setup offense where Simien could establish himself as a solid, low-post threat getting touches everytime down the court. These are guys that are getting the ball whenever they want it, these are guys where the offense constantly flows through them. Unfortunately, Taft didn't have that luxury as the offense would inexplicably deviate from him causing him to get most of his looks from put-backs & such.

There's no such thing as a SURE thing when picking in the 20's. All these guys: Simien, Diogu, Taft, Jack, etc are all risks. Simien is injury prone, Diogu put up great numbers on a mediocre team, Jack is turnover prone with questionable playmaking skills---everybody has their knocks. Taft just happens to be the guy that didn't put up monster numbers yet has more upside than anybody else and whose stock depends on the dreaded "P" word.

4. leehoang

leehoang Member

Warrick. If we can't get him at 24 or moving up in picks, we should just trade the pick for future or a player.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think what a lot of people overlook is we need someone who will get the crowd/team into it most importantly. This year, that guy was Sura, and Mike James somewhat down the road.

Let's face it:

McGrady, JHo, Yao are all passive when it comes to energy and enthusiasm. Sura and James gave us a big lift with their "energy" some would say, but its more like enthusiasm. Jon Barry fits this mold too.

I don't want the Rockets drafting another player in this mold. (Taft is I assume? From the "lazinesS" reports I hear, I don't think he's a firey guy..)

A guy like McCants will bring that enthusiam and energy that our main core lack. This guy loves the game, and shows it -- much like a young Sam Cassell. Julius Hodge also comes to mind as someone who can play off the crowd and generate energy. (But for those of you who think he's going to be an NBA PG... do some more research :) )

I'd love for the Rockets to draft a SG/SF and then get an early pick in the 2nd round. From there, S&T, trade, or sign a PF via FA.

With all that said, my ideal scenario:

Move up and draft McCants.
    Draft Salim Stoud. in the 2nd round.

That gives you*:

James/Stoud
    McCants/Barry
    Tmac/Barry
    Free Agent/Juwon
    Yao/Mt. Tumbo

*assuming Wesley and Sura are gone as rumored.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fair points baller4life315. I did not really factor in the coaching perspective of things or how Krauser could have affected his game. It just bothered me that he could not impact the games I saw (about 5-7 games) like average Josh Boone, and the BE studs (like he was protracted to be) like Warrick and Villanueva. Even the other PF on his team (name has escaped me) seemed to want it more consistently.

I hope it works out well in the end for him and well for us as well and whoever we choose.

PS. what is he going to do with the "green room suit" he went to get measure for since it now likely (more like certain) that the league's front office may not send him a green room invitation anymore? Soon after he declared Chris assumed he would be a top 14 pick and he "pre-emptively" went ahead to take care of the suit he would where in the back room (green room) where prospectively lottery picks are sicking before their names are announced. I'd be shocked if he still gets invited to the GR. :)

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Then prepare to be shocked.... of course that preparation won't lead to anything:

Taft unsurprisingly isn't on the GR list.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2093806&num=0

8. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

McCants would be nice, it seems like his stock keeps rising and falling....the one thing i dont like about him is his ball handling, he needs to improve it to play guard in the NBA

9. Dr. Basketball

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What willl it take to get us a pick in the 2nd? Would a team in cap trouble take an expiring contract? Is that legal Would it require an exception too since second rounders don't have slotted contracts? Is a 2nd worth that or would we be beter off using our expiring contracts in a trade for a veteran PF?

I have been a big fan of Daniel Ewing since his high school days, he is just the type of smart basketball player that could adapt very well to a pass first, play defense PG in JVG system. But it will probably take a #35 to get him.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think Rox will surprise everyone with either CJ Miles or Ryan Gomes. It's just a hunch.

12. Truth

Truth Member

Rashad McCants ... but every draft I see the Kings take him RIGHT ahead of us.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'd love to see us get Warrick. Screw it, that's my pick. We're getting Hakim Warrick.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My first preferences would be Simien or Diogu. I would be OK with Turiaf or Garcia (the guy has a sweeeeeet stroke). But I think Anderson is a player that will make it in the league (reminds me of Mitch Richmond)...

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont want CJ Miles either. I wasnt too impressed with his game the few times I've seen him play. If we do draft him then I hope he proves me wrong.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I see McCants name mentioned here a few times. I totally believe the Rockets would be all over him if somehow he fell to us but I doubt he would fall. McCants would be an excellant pick.

Looking at this draft, it seems to be pretty deep with interesting prospects. I would love to see the Rockets try to pick up a 2nd round pick this year. They could offer next years 2nd rounder and Cash or something like that. Next year's draft should be pretty shallow because of the new age rule so getting another decent role player in this draft would be nice.

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm hoping for Diogu but don't think there is any way he will be there when we pick. Simien would be a close second, but again I don't see him being around. I could live with Turiaf and I like Jack. Not into Taft at all and Warrick is just way too small.

My prediction?

Let me first say that I still think CD is a moron...despite the good things he did this year. ANYTHING is possible....

I think he will either take Turiaf or trade the pick.

If we can't get Diogu or Simien or Jack, I would trade it away.

19. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Although Warrick may be a little undersized to play the 4 he almost possesses exactly what Stro would bring to the table for us in my opinion. He has extremely long arms and can hit the outside shot. I also believe he could be a defensive stalwart as we all know about his superior athletic ability. He also brings the youth that we crave. It seems to me that he has all the skills that were exposed and discussed after the loss to Dallas, so why not take him if he's there and get a potential Stro on the cheap?

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Okay, take him, and then trade him and some expirings to Memphis for Bonzi, Stro, and their pick at 19 which may be Ike, or Hodge, or Jack.