1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Rockets Draft Thread (Rockets select Luther Head at 24)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2005.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We'll trade up and trade the pick away.

I would say whomever we wind up drafting will probably never wear a Rockets uniform, unless he's traded to us in subsequent years.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mickaël Gelabale
    [​IMG]

I hope we move up for Warrick or Diogou but since this is a competition for prognostication immortality you have to break away from the herd. Besides CD has to justify his expense account for his trip to Europe and Ukic will already be gone at 24.

And Guys, as of right now, we don't have a second round pick.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I could see JVG falling in love w/ Jack's game. He's a strong body that uses it. The only thing is that Jack is terribly turnover prone, as good as he is, he still turns it over 3.5 times a game while only dishing out 4.5 a game.

4. Mooch

Mooch Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0624sunsnb0624.html

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wrote about him in the College Hoops room and have been following him for his entire career. Here comes your newest Houston Rocket....

Jarrett Jack :D

6. PhiSlammaJamma

McCants will be the pick.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've been all for Warrick, Diogu or Taft all along but I would be satisfied if we picked up Jarrett Jack. I've mentioned before how I think this draft is playing out a lot like the 2001 draft: top heavy with big men leaving talented guards slated to go late in the 1st round, early 2nd round getting overlooked (Jack, McCants, Gilchrist, Luther Head, Nate Robinson, Salim Stoudamire, Monta Ellis).

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Taft or Villaneuva, if they are available. Sleeper: Turiaf

Warrick, Diogu and Simien are all intriguing but their lack of vertical length concerns me.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I agree with Warrick and Simien, but with a 7'4 wing span, Diogu's lack of height is overrated.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. What do you think about the Chris Wilcox comparisons?

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

from watching those yahoo sports videos, Hodge to me is like a black Jon Barry, of course i never saw him play before that so i dont know....

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't know why everyone is so worried about Diogu and Simien being a little undersized. They are almost physically identical to Elton Brand when he came out of Duke, both Simien and Diogu averaged better numbers as well.

I'm not saying they are the next Elton Brands, but I wouldn't let 1-2 inches decide whether or not I would take them.

#72 gucci888, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Taft has 2 left feet
    Ike Diogu and Sean May will have weight problems their entire career

Hakim Warrick, Jarret Jack, and Joey Graham will be stars... PLEASE draft smart this year... and once you do draft them, DONT TRADE for someone you you THINK is better. lol.. we could have had an excellen draft a couple of years ago with Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins, BUT we all know how that ended

14. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Jarret Jack just has that no fear mentality that I really like. Same with Rashad McCants. RM has that crazy in the head type of play, kind of reminds me of Ron Artest!!!!

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fair enough but the problem with take is that we are not blind.

Unfortunately for Taft, Pitt was heavily featured on national TV last season and Taft was next to nothing in most cases as it regards the betterment of his team. I disturbing to watch his game especially considering his immense "potential". This guy literally took from the NBA green room to the wait-and-see room. No GM in his right mind will pick him with a top 20 pick (Elgin Baylor calling) will select Chris. The reports on him are all saying the same thing and what my eyes saw confirm that.

I will take him at #24 but only grudgingly.

All that said, Chris could turn out to be a monster in the NBA.

I will be much happier with an Ike Diogu, Jarret Jack, Julius Hodge or Wayne Simmien (folks likely to be available at #24).

16. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

My first choice would be McCants (and I say if he's on the board when we pick then McCants is the guy).

However my prediction is that we trade up and select Diogu.

My personal choices behind those two would be Taft or Francisco Garcia. This is almost a failsafe draft... but having said that, I've already started writing a slapstick comedy about how the Clippers and Warriors keep getting handed the keys to paradise and somehow manage to f*ck it up everytime...

Chris Tucker will play the role of "Golden State" and Chris Elliott as "The Hapless Clippers". Then, Margaret Cho (needed an Asian Comic reference here) comes in as the Jackie Chan stand-in to play The Houston Rockets, putting up with the stupidity of GS and fighting off the Clips, to somehow beat the draft, win the... girl??? (plot issues to resolve here)... and set things right for the big finish!! :p

I know, I'm beyond repair - so sue me!! :D :D

Be :cool: and stay in school!!

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Gucci, I think the track record on tweeners would substantiate those fears rather than erase them. Brand is an exception, not the rule.

18. toby

toby Member

If jack is still around at 24 we will snatch him up. but my money is on us getting out of the draft with a few "interesting" trades.

19. henrock

henrock Member

Why are people so high on Hakim Warrick? He's a power forward in a shooting guards body. at 6'8 220 he will get murdered in the front court and he doesn't have enough ball skills to play the 3

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I have been watching Hodge now for 2-3 years now and I am sure his game is not similar to a combination Marquis Daniel and Josh Howard (but it looks like he is not as strong as Josh Howard).

The reason why his stock is where it is at is because of the dreaded "potential" word. It is believed that he has little to no more upside. He may not wow you with athletism but you will get a consistent effort and output (most times both in good bunches) on a game to game bases.

PS. why are some you guys so much in love with Charlie Villanueva? Haven't you guys even watched him play? I would not even pick him with my #24 pick if I am the Rox GM.