1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rick Adelman on Rockets 22-game win streak in 2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 15, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick could take a team to the NBA Finals if he had a Clyde Drexler on his team.

2. iku

iku Member

I miss having Luis scola and Carl Landry on the team. I remembered how Landry used to go beast mode in the fourth quarter to close out teams!

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Thanks Clutch, really liking Adelman in interviews when he doesn't have to talk about winning or losing with the Rockets. I am willing to admit when he was here, I didn't cherish him because of his demeanour as a coach and his rotations, same with McHale actually. I like a coach who is hands on, screams at the refs, picks up technicals, screams at his players, claps, cheers --> Rudy T :) So when he got fired I was kind of happy about the change, because the lack of defense was killing me.

In hindsight, it was more the players than the coach and there was actually no reason for him to be fired like that. That was some backstabbing by Morey who wants too much control of the team and Leslie. You do not just fire a coach who continually overachieves and just not wants to be forced to play certain players, displays his unhappiness with trades and sticks to his method and not getting caught up in the moneyball ****. Actually if you think about it, McHale and Adelman are kind of similar in the way they deal with things.

Everybody agrees the man deserves a championship, he's up there with Phil Jackson as one of the best to coach in the NBA ever. The Lakers were really stupid not to hire him because I really don't see him going to another team anymore, especially with his wife's situation and that he didn't really want to coach after he got fired by the Rockets unless it was championship caliber team. It would be sad if he leaves the game forever after having a team filled with injuries that has plagued his career.

With regards to what Adelman could do with this team, we just cannot say. Who knows if Parsons would've seen the court under Adelman and how he would've developed. Who knows how he would've handled the rookies in general. With no passing big man, I'm not sure how different the offense would be. Probably a little less iso and more ball movement although we are looking similar to a Adelman read-and-react type offense. Offensively we cannot do any better than what we're producing now and it's not like Adelman along with his staff had us play great defense. You saw last night that we can actually play defense if the players put their minds to it. We're just so young so it probably wouldn't even matter if we had JVG though he made defenders out of everybody it seemed.

All in all, I also would've liked to see what Adelman could've done in another 4 years with the Rockets but I don't think it would've changed that much. Despite my doubts about McHale, he is also overachieving just like Adelman and having to deal with a young group that is constantly changing makes it even more impressive. Adelman had to deal with that too here, but nothing major like what happened with us under McHale in the last 2 years. A complete overhaul and 1 young star player + some decent players and a chance of 6th seed is the best you can ask for. If anybody thinks Adelman could've done better with this group and have us in the 4-5 seed range, you are not realistic.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Still love you Adelman.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rick ruled!!! I definitely wanted to keep him. That being said, I do love how McHale develops young guys.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

no way ..... God would have given him Oscar Robertson, Bird, Magic and possibly a young Jordan

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

At the very end I heard a slight shout out to mike harris and rafer alston.