1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rick Adelman on Rockets 22-game win streak in 2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 15, 2013.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

well in adelman's defense, he had t-mac. if kevin mchale had t-mac, the offense would be pretty amazing too.

2. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

Dont know too much about him. Seems to be a smart and genuine man though. Hopefully the wolves can overcome all the injuries next season, and give us Love

3. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Yeah, same thing here. I would definitely root for him to win championship. Wish it was with Houston. I would be definitely sad if he did not win any championship until he retire.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The Rockets' 22 game winning streak is way more impressive than any streak the Heat produce, whether it is 21 games or 31 games. The Rockets run was unexpected; most people thought the Heat were capable of a long streak.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Winning 22-23 games in a row in this league is a hell of an accomplishment, not matter who does it. I hope Miami doesn't tie or beat our streak, but if they do, I have to tip my hat to them. The feat is damned near impossible. If it wasn't, there's plenty of great teams in the past that should have managed a streak of 22 games. I can think of some incredible teams that didn't manage it. The year the Celtics beat the Rockets in the Finals, the '85-'86 season, they had a regular season home record of 40-1, and they couldn't manage their franchise record 18 game streak, which they got the next season. It's hard, man. Really, really hard.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yup. 07-08 was truly something special. We didn't just get punched in the nuts when Yao went out, we felt like we got castrated.

I think someone on here made this video...it does it justice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M3-GJTUUAPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Adelman was great. I really loved that guy for overachieving with the teams he had. McHale has also overachieved for the most part, but I would much rather have Adelman right now as a head coach. At least our half-court offense would be somewhat legitimate.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^^Delusional McGrady worshiper.

I doubt Adelman will put McGrady's name anywhere on his resume.

Rick Adelman took the Blazers twice to the finals. He has also had deep playoff success with the Kings. Places that McGrady could only dream to go...

I also give Adelman credit for not caving into McGrady's demands and drama and standing up to him.

Neither the Kings nor the Blazers had McGrady, and their offense, under Adelman, was a joy to watch.

*laugh* Silly McGrady fan.

#28 Zboy, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I really liked Adelman as a coach. Had some boneheaded rotations but his offense was beautiful.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yup. Michael Jordan's 70-win team didn't do it. It's hard to keep your focus for so long.

Count me in as one who hopes Adelman win a ring before he retires, though it doesn't look promising at this point. He's always a class act.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I really feel bad for Adelman...he referenced that he thought that the 22 game win streak was almost ten years ago...and stating that the past 2 years have taken a toll on his career...Adelman was robbed of having healthy players throughout his coaching career...With Webber, Yao, Tracy...just being a few of the examples...He was a HOF coach that got the most out of his players...he demanded a lot, and expected a lot...he respected his vets...and gave it his all for this team...Too bad for Adelman that things didnt happen the way it shouldve. Adelman with a healthy Yao and Tracy wouldve taken us atleast to the finals...he had the knowledge and skill to do so.

Great interview...thank you clutch for the media bite...Go Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

He got robbed in 02'. All he had to do was win that series since the sacrificial lamb was waiting in the east. Adelman would have a ring that year. Maybe the Kings would be different and they wouldn't have to move ..idk. Sad tbh but if the wolves get it together I can see them being a force under his helm.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I still wonder sometimes what our team would look like with Rick running it still.

14. SunsRocketsfan

Yup... You are

adelman >>>>>> mchale

15. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

David Stern and the refs did a number on the Kings in '02.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I think he is being sarcastic

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The thing about that streak I remember was the defense. They dominated teams for long stretches because they just couldn't score. Phenomenal defensive stretches in that streak.

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

-Alston playing like the PG we had always needed (one that could shoot he was playing at an AS level..)
    -T-Mac great court vision, ran offense through him.
    -Carluis Scolandry
    -Some of the most amazing team chemistry in NBA history.
    -Deke was a SOLID defender.

...am I missing anything?

19. underrated015

underrated015 Member

if yao didnt go down in 2008, we were supposed to contend for a chip. that was probably the best yao/tmac team .:( injuries suck. deke played great during the 22 game win streak.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

god would have given him kobe.