1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Renting Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Houston_Rockets

I seriously don´t understand people....

We are 0-3......

We lack defense and 4th quarter ball movement on offense (among other things).....

We are talking about landing Melo, for.....

Budinger (bench player) Good future, will not be a superstar (no shame on that)

Hill Nice future, I think he will forever be a guy off the bench, nothing more then that (no shame on that)

and the Battier and JJ, that will be just fillers

Even if it is for a rental, you do it, because that will make us preferable destination for CP3....

Melo will go to the ball club that pars him with CP3, I continue to say this, it is not about NY or Amare, no, it is about CP3, and if there is one team that have the trade assets to do so is us (trade assets because CP3 still has 1 more year in his contract plus 1 more player option)

I said it before, I see us finishing this season, or starting the next one with

Yao
    Scola
    Melo
    Lee
    CP3

With Yao getting a pay cut next year, or just finishing his career (hope not)

By the way great article

PeAcE

2. worzel gummidge

They already have. The next step is to convert those young assets for a franchise player to be a relevant team again.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's the mindset that froze the Bulls front office for years when they piled up tradable assets but got cold feet every time they had a blockbuster on their doorstep. Next thing they knew, the trade values of Chandler, Curry, Hinrich, and Deng went in the toilet.

Chase is good and I like him, but scorers are dispensable in this league. It's really not hard to find a swingman able to give you 9 off the bench.

But you are hitting a correct point - no one in their right mind is going all in on a rental, which means Denver's going to have a come to Jesus moment in early February when they have to decide between a lesser offer than the Nets September 4-way and watching him walk to NY for nothing.

Nets' offer is absolutely off the table by Christmas unless Favors turns out to be garbage.

Knicks may even dial down their offer if they feel confident that he's only going to sign with them long term.

Meanwhile, Denver's expect the bidding to go up while their leverage and his value to a team goes down.

I'd love the Rockets to grab him. It's also important to remember that the number of players involved becomes important. If you send a 4-for-1, Denver has to waive and eat contracts to stay in the roster limits and they're too money-conscious to be okay with that. That actually makes it less likely you'd trade Chase.

TE for Anderson
    Jeffries, Hill, Miller, $3M cash, and a pick for Melo

That saves them $15M this season alone if you include luxury tax ramifications. Assuming Jeffries gets bought out in almost any scenario, it becomes a pseudo 2-for-2 deal.

TE for Anderson
    Jeffries, Battier, Miller, Patterson, Hill, Brooks, cash, and a pick for Billups and Carmelo

Saves them $21M this season once you consider the luxury tax, gives them 3 young players and a pick.

I'd be happy with either move.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What do you mean he could 'opt out before...'?

This CBA's ending leaves too much to chance IMHO for a Melo to 'leave' $65m on the table (less whatever the new contract would pay over three years and less any additional endorsements CM might obtain in NY - - or Houston).

Denver and Melo both could afford to play out the year under the CBA if the CBA, as is, would still be. It will change - want to bet how? Any bet today is a totally blind shot.

They both should accept an amicable divorce before there are tears before bedtime for one or the other (both?). Jersey seems the safest most logical landing place for both parties.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or there were no guys that came on the market that were worth it, most really good players are not on the market or get to choose where they want to play, where do you think Houston ranks in any of that with a center that has glass feet?

Sort of....lots can score but do it inefficiently...Flip Murray for example, very few can do it in the way that Chase does, without the ball.....

All we are talking about here is Melo.....maybe someone of better value comes on the market, but I don't know whom.

DD

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the truth. You have come to this realization after a long time. Melo won't like playing with Yao. I do agree with you,that if a better player came around, I would go for him. Melo doesn't put an effort on defense. The sheer fact that he wants to abandon Denver is a red flag. The Nuggets need to improve,and Melo needs to change his attitude.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I like this idea. If we can get him a bit cheaper without the guarantee of the extension (maybe only having to give up 1 pick instead of 2, for example), we can make a serious run this year and have a chance at bringing him back.

I'd give up any combination of AB, Budinger, Hill, Battier, Jeffries. Then, even if Melo bolts, maybe we still have a couple of the picks left and can rebuild our depth over the next two offseasons. Battier, Budinger, and Hill aren't irreplaceable. It's worth it to take a chance at being great.

If he bolts, we still have a long-term foundation similar to right now, with just a few holes to fill and we just go right back to where we are now waiting for a star to become available (or draft one). Even if Yao breaks down again, I think a foundation of Lowry, Martin, and Scola can get us 40 wins...right back to where we were last season and on the prowl for a top 10 player. It's not like it would leave us in shambles and forced to completely rebuild.

Lowry/Smith/Llull
    Martin/Lee
    (Small forward via draft and/or free agency)
    Scola/Patterson
    Yao/(Draft/Free agency)

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Chase is so efficient, why is he only scoring 9 points a game? Why isn't he scoring 20 or more? SHouldn't he be shooting it more?

I just don't see his game as that great.

9. DaJet

DaJet Member

We could S&T him to the Knicks in the offseason then for a big TE similar to the one that Cleveland or Toronto got and possibly Randolph or Gallinari in a seperate under the table deal.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes he should be shooting it more, he is shooting 50%.....and that is with him missing almost all of his 3pt shots.

http://www.clutchfans.net/stats.cfm

DD

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am late to this thread. Didn't read every post. So I might being saying something that has already been posted.

While Bima has a well thought out article, there are still a couple of problems:

1. Why would Nuggets want to get our NY picks when there is a very real possibility of Anthony ending up in NY next season?

2. A SnT to NY would be slim picking. If Denver doesn't like it now, we probably won't like it next summer.

At the end of the day, trading for Melo without the extension is almost as foolish as the Knicks trying to clear cap space to get LeBron last summer. I know it's not exactly the same, and we will get SOMETHING even if Melo bolts after this season. But the lesson we learned after the LeBron/Bosh drama is that trying to convince these guys to stick to a place they have already decided unfavorable is a very shaky business at best.

BTW, banking on Anthony making us a title contender THIS year with only half a season to jell is not as easy as you think, not to mention the uncertain with Yao's health.

#91 Easy, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Do it.

I'm tired of "acquiring assets" and "being flexible" and "building for the future" and all the other crap we keep hearing (and repeating). Either take a gamble to win now or keep coming up with catchy slogans each year for a team that is never going to contend.

Yao
    Scola
    Anthony
    Martin (or Lee)
    Lowry

I'll roll with that every single night.

2 people like this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

1. The 2011 pick may still be good, since Melo wouldn't be able to join New York until 2011-12 at the earliest.

2. By February, Denver (if they are trading him in the first place) will have resigned itself to not being able to keep Melo past this season. Houston would have no such resignation. The Rockets can put the hard sell on Melo, see how far they get in the playoffs, and then take their chances from there. But those chances will assuredly be better than Denver's chances at the February trade deadline (again, IF they do, in fact, trade him).

And since when has Melo completely foreclosed the idea of being a Houston Rocket? The man hasn't even had the opportunity to see how this organization runs from the inside yet. Let the man make up his own damn mind instead of joining the media circus telling everyone what Carmelo will and won't do.

1 person likes this.
  14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And that lineup will be rolling to the free throw line every single night as well.

15. On Top

On Top Member

I second this.

16. worzel gummidge

Bima,

I know you've liked Hinrich in the past. What's your opinion on adding Hinrich to this Melo rental scenario?

The Wizards are under the cap and can absorb salary while ditching Hinrich (another year on contract) for an expiring. It would create more cap space for the Wiz and quicken their franchise re-build around Wall.

For the Rockets I'm thinking this could be another Wesley type deal. Rockets had a bad start and were looking lottery bound before the trades for Wesley and Barry.

Hinrich could be a better fit next to Martin because of his D. His scoring comes off the PnR which could bring another dimension to the Rockets with Scola partnering him there. Downsides would be size of contract, not that good as a playmaker, and offensively challenged a little too often.

1 person likes this.
  17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I honestly can't understand why this is even a debate. The primary goal of every team in the NBA is to win it all. I really hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the team as constructed is not a so called "contender."

So in the extremely well known opinions of DD, we don't do the trade. I see problems with that

1. The future we have as is with no trades is not one with the title in it. Our team can not beat any of the current contenders, and it doesn't matter how much potential every single young player on our roster has, even if all of them reach their max potential, which would be extremely lucky, the overall talent is still not good enough to contend with the miami heat in a 7 game series.

2. If we can trade away essentially a few years of mediocrity and first or second round exits for 1 year of a legitimate contender, you pull the trigger.

Worse case scenario, We don't win a championship, melo leaves, half of our team is traded for him, and we're in lotto land. Well in all honesty, I'd rather be a terrible team that has a chance of landing a star in the draft to bring us to the promise land, than a mediocre franchise that loses in the play offs or can only draft players that will not carry the team because they don't have the draft pick to do so.

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

this would be fantastic. Hinrich is one of the best on ball defenders in the league.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You're right about my personal opinion on Hinrich, but MAN, that starting lineup would make a TON of money. Of course, I'm assuming that Aaron Brooks would be part of a multi-team trade that lands the Rockets Melo.

Also agreed that Hinrich is the perfect backcourt complement to Kevin Martin. I'd like to see exactly how much Kirk has in the tank early this season, but I've liked what I've seen so far. (FYI, the Wizards actually had Hinrich playing minutes at SMALL FORWARD during the preseason in their small-ball lineup with Wall and Arenas.)

I'd consider that approach if it became clear by February that (a) Aaron Brooks will be demanding far more money than the Rockets think he's worth and (b) other teams would be willing to pay Brooks his asking price.

Call it the "leebigez corollary".

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still doesn't answer the question as to WHY he isn't shooting it more.

I think it's because he can't really create his own shot.