1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clutch on 1560 earlier this afternoon. Please move if needed, thanks

Whats going on?

Not much. How are you.

Good. Good to have you. ... Big news surrounding the Rockets is Aaron Brooks leaving the bench area. Was suspended last night. I guess...we know Brooks is probably going to be discussed at/near the TD, what does this do for his value?

I think it does hurt it some. A lot of teams, teams that have been burned by him in the past still view him in high regard as far as they would like to acquire him. He's frustrated and disappointed with this season, frustrated with the organization. We knew this before this incident. Seems out of character for him. Puts a ding into it. Him and Hill's value have dipped a little bit lately. Not good news for Rockets 2 weeks before the deadline.

Aaron saw Kyle, Luis get paid this past offseason. He had to understand this was the MO, that they wont extend you until they have to, right?

Yeah. He wanted to the extension. Rockets all about value. There was almost a target on him the moment Lowry got that deal. HIs deal is a great value as a starter but as a bench player, paying a premium. That made Brooks possibly expendable. Brooks was a starter, got injured, loses his job in a contract year, hasnt played well since, I can definitely understand his frustration. We've seen players(Pippen, many other players) who will remembered for moments like that, you never wanna quit on your team, but I think that's what happened here.

Are we having this conversation if he doesnt injure his ankle early in the year? Probably keeps his job

Certainly right. Players want to believe they wont lose their job to injury but thats what happened here. That injury has lingered on here. He has had several poor games. He hasnt won that job back. Though privately, he would have hoped it was his when he got back.

Does this heighten the team's desire to move him? Does this increase their desire?

Good question. We were debating on whether he would be "McGradied" here and not play and stall for the next 2 weeks until they could move him. I always thought he was most likely to be dealt. I think he will end up coming back and playing but his time is limited as a Rocket. I think he'll be moved before the deadline.

Happy that McGrady is a verb.

Exactly right.

Article you had yesterday. Had some potential names outside of Carmelo. I wanna go through these names. Nene would fill a huge need.

Absolutely. Not a shot blocker but is a big body, good on the ball defender. Can guard post players one on one. To use him along Chuck and Scola to give different looks. They need someone with size. Rockets have talked with Denver. Whether they move him or not, depends on Carmelo. Certainly a player that would help the Rockets.

Another player mentioned is Granger. Backslid statistically. Is Granger a guy who fits? Does he make them significantly better?

Significantly is a good question. Certainly adds a scoring punch. No scoring punch from the SF spot. Chase has had good games here and there and Shane we know what we'll get. He gives the team a different look. He is a guy, that I've been told, the Rockets felt that he could be dealt. Pacers saying otherwise. They've exchanged pleasantries but if Pacers decide to move him before the deadline, the Rockets will get involved with him.

Brought up some young guys' names. Cousins, Rubio and Monroe. Rockets have shown they're not afraid to maybe trade for a young guy, like they did with Williams. Which young guy excites you the most?

I would want Cousins but he's unlikely to get moved. Mixed reviews on Rubio. I would be interesting in a move for him. If something like Brooks for Rubio, I would be interested. Some think he will flop, others think Jason Kidd style player. Shooting an issue and some other issues but if you can acquire him, you have the chance...not sure the T'Wolves will move him yet.

Reading about him, says hes too differential, too unselfish. You hear/read the same?

Exactly. Rafer was a guy who was great at setting his teammates up. He's similar in that regard. Same style that he cant score effectively. Nt a good jumper from outside and thats the knock on him. He is an exciting guy in transition and creating. Almost a young Jason Williams. Up in the air how he will do but Morey high on him since the draft.

I like the opinion of people I respect on initial reaction when they see a rumor or a news piece. We saw the rumor about Lakers and Carmelo. Your initial reaction when you heard that?

Immediate reaction was wow. I didnt really think of that and it makes so much sense. Trumps everything. If he goes there, he will be ok staying there. Has everything that Houston or NJ didnt. Basically, cuts the legs out from the Knicks if it really did/does happen. Bynum does have knee issues but only 23 years old. Hard to believe but true. If the Nuggets are minimal to that deal, that is very interesting. Sets up Kobe/Carmelo vs Wade/James. Would be interesting for the league. Would help the Rockets a little. Doesnt cut the value of the NY picks but makes the West tougher.

Didnt even think of that. ... Once they move him, a playoff spot opens up for teams sitting 9-12, right?

Yeah. Absolutely right. They got I think 30 wins and in the 7th seed. You'll have to win 44-45 games. Rockets will have to go 19-10 or 20-9 the rest of the way, something like that. If they rebuild, they could plumment and could open a spot up.

Regarding Carmelo to LA, we saw Carmelo try to exist with another scorer who needed the ball in AI. Any reason to believe it would be different with Kobe, other than the fact the talent would be better around him than in Denver?

Good question. I think it would be different. Kobe got 5 rings, he is getting older, he would make it work. Got Jackson as coach. I think they would make it work. Good comparison and didnt really think of that. Iverson was I dont want to say selfish but a ball dominator. Lakers would make it work better.

One thing Jackson is good at is making it work and handling the egos. Other interesting thing is, Kobe isnt getting younger. This would ensure the Lakers future after Kobe. Would keep the Lakers in upper half of teams.

Yeah. They got a lot of talent on that team. But if you could keep Kobe, Gasol and Carmelo, you're really willing to sacrifice anything else. You're right. Now a new superstar as Kobe slips into retirement. That is the one scenario I didnt really think of but it takes the power out of NY and Carmelo's hand. He would be crazy not to stay there in LA if traded there.

Kobe, Carmelo, Gasol vs Wade, James, Bosh in the Finals. I'd take that.

Amazing.

Appreciate it. Keep up the great work.

Thanks.

http://www.1560thegame.com/media/

1 person likes this.
  2. nathan8

nathan8 Member

Granger is so UNDERrated, man comon

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket - Laker - Denver Trade

My Crazy Suggestion
    NeNe to houston
    Carmelo to the Lakers
    AB and Bynum to Denver.
    <throw in some filler>

Rocket River
    Fill in the rest

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

People saying we have no chance for Granger... Larry Bird wants to keep his job so making the playoffs would help alot. They have Paul George so Granger is expendable. The team needs a decent PF so a deal involving Scola and Hill could entice them. They get a solid PF now to make a playoff run, and someone young to fit with their core for the future. Or if they did just want cap relief we could easily provide that too.. As for Gettine Nene give them expirings maybe Bud or Twill( I think he's being used as trade bait) or a pick and grab Him. I think a lineup of Lowry Kmart Granger Chuck and Nene would be great. Good paint defense, Nene can do our scoring in the paint, then a wing combo that would be one of the best scoring duos, possible the best in the west. And Granger may not be the best on D but if we had Nene and Chuck in the Paint our D would be significantly better then it is now.

5. worzel gummidge

George could win the Pacers open starting SG spot next season provided Dunleavy isn't brought back. It'll be between him and Rush.

Pacers have no need for Hill. They have Hibbert, McRoberts, Hansbrough, and Foster. If they deal Granger to bring in Scola... That would be another head scratcher as he's older and not the level of player Granger is.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

GRANGER CAN HELP THIS TEAM ALOT.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Too bad Pacers change coach. I was hoping for a Hibbert/granger to walk in. Odd that there is no more Iggy rumours.

One trade that I definately would want to have a try is Battier for Artest. Call me mad, but I really like what Artest brings every single game.

8. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

bricks?

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Granger is a chucker who is really overrated by this board. I can't say that enough. Between the two, you should be praying for Nene.

10. Sanity2disChaos

WE ARE NOT GETTING GRANGER......PERIOD.WASTED THREAD....we have a better chance of getting Iggy then Granger (Id prefer Iggy anyways,Which is still a slim chance in that happening)....IT IS WRITTEN.

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

I think that a solid scoring 3 like granger could solidify this team a playoff spot now dont get me wrong nene would fill the 5 spot we need the most but his desire to go to miami in the offseason could potentially make him a 30 game rental at the expense of brooks and possibly some solid young talent.....

12. Sanity2disChaos

MIA cannot pay NeNe what he is worth .....He wont end up there...promise....IT IS WRITTEN.

13. Houston_Rockets

What a lol statement....

Aren´t you the one that likes AB wile not appreciating what Martin is???

I sometime love these fans that call someone a chucker but hate efficient guys like Martin, and usually say AB >>>>> Martin, it is just funny how wrong all of this sounds but they keep appearing every day.

For me, Granger >>>>>>>> Nene, but right now for us, C >>>>>>> SF. In the end it is all about what Morey is doing, so no need to speculate.

I still think that we are in the game for Melo tho.

PeAcE

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I would take Bogut over Nene any time.

Larry Bird and IND might be interested in CBud.

These trade scenaios are keeping us interested in this season.

15. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Is he really that bad? thought he was an almost-all-star types.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do you watch Danny Granger on a regular basis, or are you just basing this off highlights and PPG? I live in Indiana and watch him frequently -- 'lol' at my statement if you want, but it doesn't make it any less true. Even Pacers fans are saying the same thing.

Granger hates contact and doesn't like to drive often. He'd prefer to stay around the arc and launch threes all day. He doesn't have good handles for a perimeter player (average), so he struggles sometimes taking his man in 1-on-1 situations. He's also not that good of a passer whenever he does drive.

Well, I don't mean to say he's one-dimensional or anything. He seems to be a solid defender who could also give you some spot minutes at the PF position if we go small. He's a good shooter, just a little bit too in-love with the 3PT shot.

He is an almost all-star; but he's also the best player on a bad team, so he has plenty of chances to put up those eye-popping stats. I just don't think we should look at a Granger trade as "we're saved!!!"

He's got hefty contract as well. Add that to Martin's and you've got two 2nd tier/3rd tier stars taking up a big chunk of your cap space. My personal belief is that the 'Pistons model' was a fluke and you won't be able to win a championship without a #1 guy; the current NBA trend is having multiple #1 guys. The Rockets would be stocked with #2s/#3s each making 10+M a year. I'm just worried about falling further into mediocrity with that model, especially when our biggest weakness is the Center position, not SF.

#176 LongTimeFan, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What you fail to realize is Chauncey in his prime was/is a #1 guy. A most effecive passer/shooter/game manager. Combine his talents with a total defensive stud in Ben Wallace, a great two-way big man in Rasheed, and a great efficient scorer in RIP, and it equaled a championship. They were a great team. Even the superstars if they are going to win a C have got to have great teammates.

Miami has a big 3 and not much else. Let's see if they win a C this year. They're going to have to get around teams that have a great 5 to 7 rotation. Rondo, Pierce, Allen, Garnett, Perkins, Shaq, Baby Shaq, Nate or Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Ron, Fish, Bynum or Timmy, Manu, Parker, Jefferson, Blair, Hill, Neal............take your pick. I am betting against Miami's big 3 this season.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is there anything in this thread that has a chance of cheering me up? Last night was depressing. :(

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't necessarily agree with everybody saying Granger is the same as Scola and Martin.
    Dude is Allstar reserve while a Scola and Martin are borderline allstar material. Half a step away from a franchise player,
    He is no King James for sure but that is not necessary

A Duncan lite, Manu and Tony trio and good role players are enough to be a contender nowadays ....so it seems

20. Houston_Rockets

I don´t base my opinion of players on Highlights.

You know why I "lol" at your statement??? Because your assessment of Granger sounded like he is nothing teams should be looking for. Why would teams want a chucker??? I dare you to ask all Gms in this league about how good he is, and I bet the majority of them would say that he is a top 5 SF in this league.

I don´t care what Pacers fans say, go ask Sac fans if they liked Martin right before the trade, and I bet most of them would say that trading him was great. Now we all know that Tyreke is a talented ballhog. And Martin is showing how great of a 2nd go to guy he is on a championship team.

No one says Granger is a superstar, so I don´t see what is the overrated part you talk about.

He is a great shooter, with average slashing ability, and questionable shot selection, but he actually plays D, unlike Martin (big Kevin fan). IMO Grangers shot selection problem would be hugely downgraded because of our offense, with his ability to play off the ball basket and Adelman ability to put players in a position to be efficient.

And for you to understand why fans on here want Granger, just look at what we have right now at that spot. Battier is very important in all the little thing off the court, but let´s ignore that right now. As a player he (and Hayes) is the reason we sometime shut down teams (not very often), but offensively he is a liability. There is a reason we fans even liked Iggy for the 3 spot even tho he is a 2, because both play D (not at Battier level), and both are HUGE offensive upgrades.

And don´t tell me we don´t need more offense like I read alot in this forum. There is 2 reasons we go 6mins without scoring in crucial moments during a game, first of all we don´t have a A guy that could carry us, but that is not a problem if you have 5 guys with the ability to do it all. Right now, Battier is worst then Hayes offensively, because he can´t do the amount of things Hayes can give you. If the ball goes to Battiers hands with 5s on the clock, and he has to put the ball on the floor, something bad will happen.

(This post is not a hate message on Battier, he is what he is, I respect him alot, but for me he is not starting SF material right now)

PeAcE