1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential Rocket Profile: LeBron James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 17, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the lineup. It's a better situation than Miami in my opinion I agree with you there.

I'm just saying we aren't going to fill out the bench this year if we have to sign Lebron.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Terrence Jones would be on the bench over DMo I assume. As will be a player signed for $2mil room exception we get. Jones-Room Exception-Canaan-Daniels as it stands right now.

Miami won the title with an injured Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, James Jones, and Norris Cole.
    Lakes won the title with Odom, Luke Walton, Sasha Vujacic, Shannon Brown, and Jordan Farmer.

You are REALLY overrating bench play.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well then we're agreed, but I think we could win the championship even without a filled out bench and coast once we do fill it out.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets don't need to give Miami any salary to keep their MLE. If they let go of Lin and Asik(for no money). Then trade for LeBron ending in a total salary of $100K over the cap. They can then use their MLE that way. Or they can do a 3-way where Miami gets an expiring along with a pick for Asik.

Riley may still reject a S&T offer though. But if he's cool with the idea, the Rockets have ways to give Miami what they want and keep their MLE.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Interesting. Hope it all happens and it works out this way.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jones, Canaan, Daniels, the room exception (c?), Brooks maybe?

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

If Lebron came to houston, I would like to see the starting team to look like this:

Pg: Lebron
    Sg:harden
    SF:parsons
    PF:jones
    C:Howard

You have size at every position. Quite intimidating if you ask me.

And all the pieces fit together nicely. You have Lebron distributing, dishing out assist at point guard. Harden and parsons at the wings scoring and tjones and Howard playing pick n roll/ pop.

This may be one of the greatest starting lineups of all time.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sorry. I realized I made a mistake. They can't do it. I forgot that a team can only keep the MLE if including the MLE money, the team is over the cap. If the Rockets trade away Lin and Asik, or even just Asik, they'll be more than $5.5mil under the cap.

But they can trade Asik for some guy who makes $4mil and give that guy to Miami though. :)

9. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I know I'm saying that there's no way in hell I would. Why add two small forwards at the expense of the best shooting guard in the game who also happens to be the player that got Dwight Howard here? Without Harden, you wouldn't even be thinking about having either of those players. I'd trade you for a banana bread sermon.

10. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Who is :parsons?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Five fits for LeBron James

12. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

WOW, and this is considered an "Insider" article? ESPN and the media are really finding any excuse for Houston to not "fit" :rolleyes:

The article doesn't even have one mention of how these teams would make the cap moves necessary to sign LBJ.

(no knock on you of course, JR. Thanks for posting!)

13. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

ESPN has NO RESPECT for Houston Sports! What did we ever do to them? :rolleyes:

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Again, the "reasoning" is just brutal. They might as well just said that Houston is just too hot and humid and then moved along.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Bev at PG and Lebron at PF is WAY better. Bev is a good defender against any team's pg, which are usually smaller anyway (no need to have a 6'9" pg) and TJones is absolutely terrible at guarding the elite PF's in this league and not much for offense either. Having Bev and LBJ would be WAY better defensively and probably offensively too IMO

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

SERIOUSLY, we are the best fit. And ESPN sucks when it comes to Houston, even in football, Texans got zero coverage in '11 and '12 when they did good, then got some coverage when they were in last and 1st pick of the draft, but then they decided it was more important to talk about Rams 7 rd DE pick Michael Sam.. ESPN hates all things Houston.

O, and... :rolleyes:

18. izeroi

izeroi Member

Terrible article, you can already cross spurs, bulls, and cavs off that list right now. Hell even throw in the clippers.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

You jest but that's a more logically sound reason than some of the BS I've read lately.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brian Windhorst

That first 5-7 minutes was Pat Riley speaking to LeBron. He said later on he didn't speak much with LeBron and wasn't the time to talk about his future. He talked about everything from Wade to Oden. He gave the Heat recruiting pitch to LeBron on national television.

Knowing LeBron and his team, how do they react?

I don't think you can get anything but fired up when Riley speaks. I think, if I'm LeBron, I was listening to a couple of things: how will we improve? If I'm LeBron, I'm saying, show me don't tell me. Ultimately, for as much credit as Riley gets for his famous speech in 2010 and dumped his rings on the table, the reason the Heat got LeBron is because they got Wade to re-sign and Bosh in the fold.

They are scrambling a bit. For LeBron to say I don't know what I'm gonna do, that's not a gigantic vote of confidence. Miami has a lot to offer. The fact Riley has to give a public plea and LeBron left Miami in a hurry to go on vacation, the Heat's position is shaky.

The idea LeBron could go to the Clippers (by Bill Simmons--trade DeAndre & Jamal, use a first rounder to dump Dudley). Could you see that?

Going West is dicey for him. Being the best team in the East doesn't mean anything to him anymore. Carmelo should focus on staying on an Eastern Conference team. LeBron wants to be on the best team in the league. They weren't this year. The Clippers, Crawford has a non-guaranteed contract, they could just waive him. I wrote in February that the Clippers would be an outside shot candidate. He's willing to give some money back, not sure that much. LeBron will be cognizant of his legacy. He doesn't want to hop around. If he doesn't absolutely love a team outside of Miami, he could easily stay with the Heat. The Rockets are interesting. The Clippers are interesting but not saying either are likely at this point.

LeBron ever enticed to go to New York?

One thing made clear: LeBron has never expressed desire to live in New York. It's been made clear he does not have a strong desire to play or live in New York, not now or never before. If over the next year the Knicks make some moves and become attractive, maybe it's different. LeBron has spoken loud and clear that playing in New York is not a priority. Knicks or Nets were not in his top three in 2010. It was Heat, Bulls and Cavs. I don't think he even considered those two teams in 2010. I don't think his feelings have changed that much since then.