1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Ty Lawson, Houston Rockets Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 20, 2015.

1. mercy road

mercy road Member

Looking at his minutes and performance over the past two years I honestly do not believe Morey uses a roster spot for Hayes. It seems like a waste to me, but honestly who knows? However nostalgia does not seem to be an emotion that Morey suffers from.

Jones actually can be a rotational player and a trade chip at the same time. The Rockets could do worse at the backup PF spot. D-Mo is obviously the best choice offensively and defensively. But honestly I am comfortable with Jones' role next season. However it is looking to me like PF is the weakest position on the Rockets. D-Mo may leave my fears to rest to be honest. Everyone will see soon.

2. basketballholic

I honestly would prefer to give Hayes whatever scrap minutes we have left backing up Dwight, DMo, and Capela over Terrence. Hayes needs to get the baby fat back off him and knuckle down. But he's such a superior defender. He brings way more to the table than Terrence.

We need to move Terrence for a pick and either stretch-4, or a 3rd backup 7-footer, or a young PG like Spencer Dinwiddie.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the last few spots on a roster are injury reserves/practice individuals, at this point he can have a 20 man roster and since morey's not used the proper mle or done a s&t, it's only les' money and has no implication beyond that. When there's zero cap implications, it shouldn't matter to anyone but Les.

4. Sanity2disChaos

Hayes defense , if he can still play it at an elite level is his best attribute. He may not have played much but doesn't mean he still cant play.His situations on past teams wasn't defined as on this rockets roster. I mean honestly they really could do themselves a solid if they can truly upgrade the PF spot.Taj would be great at dmo or jones expenses. ?......I mean who is Dmo stopping in the west??

ill wait.

Hayes I truly hope we never see the floor unless we ABSOLUTELY need him.With all due.

5. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

If DMO plays like he did last year, the question really becomes who is stopping DMO? You can't teach height and he clearly moves well in the paint.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This insane at its best. Come on, really but I wouldn't expect anything else from you. You've been expressing your hate for Jones since day one. Lol Chuck Hayes is washed up at this point of his career.

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ty Lawson thread turns into bbholic pushing his t jones smear campaign

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

At a loss for words...you're better than this. I hope.

9. MistaK

MistaK Member

:confused::confused::confused:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
    :cool:Ahhh another bballholic TJones post :cool:

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to replace Josh Smith's playmaking coming off the bench. There is no one on the bench right now that is a capable playmaker, unless you count Lawson. But having Lawson come off the bench defeats the purpose of adding another playmaker to play alongside Harden.

Instead of Hayes, or even Terry, Morey needs to find another playmaker. Even if just a guy with potential, like Perry Jones. Rockets have done well with young PFs. And it would be nice to develop a Josh Smith type player to replace Josh Smith.

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't think lawson needs to literally come off the bench with the 2nd unit. Mchale just needs to stagger harden and lawson and make sure one of them is on the floor at all times. They can still both start.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need 2 playmakers on the floor at all times. Lawson was a great start, need one more guy to take our team to next level.

14. Rox>Mavs

I think that's asking for a lot. We really were in desperate need for a second playmaker and we got that with Ty. A third would certainly be nice but not necessary. Most every other major contender only has two. Also we have Dmo in the post so though he can't playmake at an elite level, he can certainly create for himself and he's a really good passer too.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets HAD 2 playmakers last season, Harden and Smith. Rockets needed a 3rd guy so there can always be TWO playmakers on the floor so teams cannot just take away one guy. That third guy is absolutely necessary, especially in the event of injury. Rockets cannot afford to have either Harden or Lawson go down if 2 playmakers are all we have, especially in the playoffs.

16. Rox>Mavs

While Josh helped with playmaking he wasn't a major 2nd option like Ty is. It's not like the offense was prolific with harden on the bench and the ball being in Josh's hands. Who are the three playmakers you see on all the other contenders?

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Motiejunas is the third guy or Jones.

18. Rox>Mavs

Yeah I said the same thing.....Dmo is now the third best offensive option but he's not as much of a playmaker as he is a shot creator. My question was of the top 4 other contending teams who would be the three playmakers on each team be? I only really see two at most with a few options for players who can still create their own shot (but not really make plays for others)

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are kidding right? Smith was the point forward on the 2nd unit. The playmaking was shared more evenly than the 1st unit between Smith, Prigioni and a bit of Terry. When the ball was forced out of Harden's hands with 1st unit the offense stagnated, not so much when Harden was running with 2nd unit.

And all the other contenders do not run as much easy offense as Rockets. But if you want an example, why not the champs who could roll out any combo of Curry, Iguodala, Livingston, Barbosa and Green. Never mind 3 total playmakers, GSW could play 3 playmakers at all times.

20. Rox>Mavs

I think you just said it yourself in your first paragraph. Though smith might have been the second best play maker that doesn't mean he did a great job at it. When harden was off the court (whether Josh was on the court or not) the offense stagnated and was a significant minus on that end. Put Ty in instead of Josh and you're talking light years difference in playmaking ability.

and if you're going to use guys like barbosa and Livingston as examples then I'll trot out guys like beverly and prigs.

Ty averages almost 10apg....between him and harden playmaking is locked down. People are already saying there isn't enough ball to go around with two ball dominate players like Ty and harden and you want another point-whatever to control the ball too?