1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast - The James Harden Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 31, 2012.

1. awarde2

awarde2 Member

Things about the Podcast:
    1. I am glad Lin is here in Houston, say what you want he has made Houston Rockets relevant again. Everytime Lin's name is in the headlines, Houston Rockets name is attached.
    2. I disagree, I think Lin is a good ballplayer and I think he has a great level of potential.
    3. You stating that you like Lin, i am not so sure of that. I also follow you on twitter, and you seem to be bias about your opinion when reporting things about Lin almost with disdain and clenched teeth.
    4. Lin was a starter for 25 games for the NY Knicks, world center stage of basketball. I watched his games, and some of things he did were not a fluke.
    5. When ever someone tries to defend Lin, we are automatically assumed we are Lin lover's gone amuck. Not true. I watched him play in NY, yes he is very talented, and yes he is a progress in work, and to call him an "arificial superstar was very mean spirited.
    6. Your love for James Harden is quite biased. I personally don't think he deserves an 80 million dollar contrract for 7 start games. I think he is good athelete, franchise cornerstone, time will tell. My only concern about Harden is that he is saying all the right things, but he said all the right things in OKC, when he stated that he would take a pay cut to stay in OKC, didn't happen.
    7. Harden was the 6th man off the bench, not a starter. Olympics: I personally think he got there because of who he was attahed to (Durant/Westbrook)
    8. No i am not hating on Harden, but my gut is telling me that he is saying all the right things...but we will see.
    9. My question is, why didn't OKC make him a starter, he certainly deserved it?

1 person likes this.
  2. MKL

MKL Member

I get the same feeling too. I admit there are an abundance of uneducated Lin fans, but this isn't rocket science. It's basketball.

Lin fans have to tolerate idiotic Texans fans trolling here too.

You have to take the entire package and the Dragic fans needs to GTFO. That time is over.

3. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Thanks for your work, but your attempted explanation regarding "artificial superstar" doesn't ring true to my ears. Its sounds like an insult as it was meant to be. Like Hollinger stated in his recent "breakout players of 2012" piece, he finds it continually fascinating that people "expect" Lin to get worse rather than better with experience, even though there is zero evidence of failure for Lin wherever he played.
    I also like Dragic. And KLow looks like he may beast this year, but the lack of support, optimism, and downplaying (often mean-spirited) of his stats, history of success, or anything that he's shown is frustrating as a basketball fan who loves the selfless and exciting type of basketball that Lin plays.
    And why are we disregarding his stats by the way and expecting a young player to get worse?? Who else gets that treatment after a breakout year at 23?

2 people like this.
  4. awarde2

awarde2 Member

Exactly. They beat up on him in preseason trying to work his way back to full strength. I wander will it be a different story when D-Rose starts playing again.

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

No, of course they'll say he's rounding into shape and he'll get there. Give him some time he just got off of an injury

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just gonna respond to a few of your "points"

There is nothing mean spirited about the artificial superstar comment. Like Tebow, his hype and media coverage outweighs his actual talent. Not saying he isn't talented, he just isn't chris paul, d. rose or rondo out there. It's also not saying that one day he couldn't become one of the upper echelon elite guys, he just isn't there RIGHT NOW.

As far as Harden being a "career backup", that one dude in San Antonio says what's up. Harden came off the bench because it was what was better for the team.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

dumbass

8. awarde2

awarde2 Member

I think the "artificial superstar", comment was meant to be a "low blow" insult to Lin better know as a "potshot". It happens all the time in the media when it comes to Lin. I as a fan I'm so tired of it. My personal opinion is they get away with is because he is Asian, and people (black/white) have bought in to the hype is he not that atheletic and he is merely a fluke. I know a little about this because, I am black and i listen to my brother's and his friends talk about this all the time. They give Lin his props, but there is always a "but". I see there are more negative articles in the headlines about Lin than positive. What has he done to warrant this negative treatment, nothing. What this has shown me is that the racism in basketball is in rare form. As for Harden, I give him his props on ballplaying, but I will take the wait and see approach about the rest.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jesus, you people need to stop being so sensitive about Lin. Clutch, Bima and guys like Hollinger are by no means "haters." I mean, Jesus Christ, you people bring shame to all of us.

1 person likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

You're right. I completely overlooked how bad our bench is. Ok, if our starters had infinite stamina we would be 7th or 8th seed.

11. awarde2

awarde2 Member

Exactly what I meant. We can't come on and defend Lin w/o being called sensitive. We just gave an opinion as they did in the Podcast. We just pointed out some things that we disagreed with. I am pretty sure that is allowed. So please don't talk down to people simply because we gave an opinion. Please don't use Jesus's name in vain, especially if you don't know Him...peace out:rolleyes:

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

They are all haters! No place for hate! Jeremy did nothing wrong to anyone.

See what you did HMMHMM. :p

1 person likes this.
  13. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

i wonder what linmvp thought about that performance lol

14. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I notice that Harden never passes the ball to Yao, either. Maybe they give him the freeze out?

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought those people are like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin.
    I thought we would be as bad as that Eddie Griffin year.

Now after Harden, as the joker would say "You've changed things"

16. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Brother,

you don't have to apologize to Rockets fans. You and Clutch and Jeff and company are reason that many of us go to Clutchfans. Thanks for keeping it real.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Very nice podcast yall... sort of wish I had been able to listen before tonight's game ;)

The point you made about the cap room is, I think, the most important one. Morey was able to get a very very good young player without hamstringing the franchise with bad contracts. Yes we gave up assets in the form of draft picks, but if I've learned nothing else from Morey and Les Alexander it's that they can find a diamond in the rough in the second round with a purchased pick.

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Hollinger is probably one of the most bullish person on Lin if you read his projections. Nevetheless,Lin doesn't seem to be 100% right now without half of his explosiveness around the rim.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

They bring shame to themselves.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Wow. Just . . . wow. I'm just now getting caught up after watching the game on "DVR delay," and I got the pleasure of reading some of the more interesting comments about the podcast.

I sincerely hope that those killing me over my "artificial superstar" remark actually listened to our prior podcast when I actually explained what I meant by it. I even specifically mentioned in this latest podcast that it was a term "I had mentioned earlier."

I can take constructive criticism as well as (if not better than) most, but if you're going to rake me over the coals for that comment without having the decency to actually learn what the hell I was talking about, then please don't bother reading or listening to my opinions on anything. Go on with your lives, put me on Ignore, don't listen to the podcasts, and don't read my cap updates.

I'm not going to disparage your opinions. Just please don't comment on mine. I think I've actually earned some credibility on this BBS as someone who doesn't create random biases about individual players (ESPECIALLY on such things as race) that cloud my judgment. I try pretty damn hard to be reasonable and rational when expressing my thoughts.

I'll say it one last time for those "rushing to the aid of Jeremy Lin in the wake of Clutch's and Bima's harsh criticisms of him":

(1) I like him.

(2) He's only 24 freaking years old!

(3) Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic have had much more time to hone their craft and are just flat-out better at their respective stages of their careers than Lin is at this stage in his career.

(4) Jeremy Lin has the ability to perhaps be better than both one day, and he's shown flashes of that, BUT HE'S NOT THERE YET.

(5) Saying that a 24-year-old (who hasn't yet played a full season's worth of games) isn't better than guys--good players, mind you--with several more years of NBA experience is NOT a slight against that 24-year-old player.

(6) I will cheer my ass off for Jeremy Lin as a Houston Rocket.

If you're willing to acknowledge that maybe, JUST maybe, you read a bit too much into our comments about Lin and now realize that this was all some little misunderstanding, then we're all good here. We can cheer for Lin together.

If any of the above continues to be a major problem for you, then I just pity you.