1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Stop complaining and start giving Harden, McHale credit for Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 7, 2015.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If there was an award for best player of the year, LeBron would win it until he is 34 or so. Still, in Miami he had Dade to share ball handling duties. Now, he Kyrie Irving as his Robin. Who does Harden have as a playmaker / ballhandler that opposing trams need to be concerned about? Nobody.

We get emotional watching the game because we want the team to do well, but to make threads outside the garm disparaging players when the game is still not decided is just stupid. Appreciate what you have, because it may be gone one day.

2. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

No, you heard it correctly...and Coach McHale, in an understated manner, said the same things in his post game news conference.

He isn't going to call out the players and publicly embarrass them...but he clearly said that the players were not executing the adjustments they made coming in until after half time.

Who is to blame for that? Maybe McHale and the coaches for not getting it through to the players...or maybe its all on the players..or both.

Regardless, this total BS about no adjustments is ridiculous...second only to the absolutely absurd notion that McHale, who is virtually crippled, should be walking around the court. Ridiculous to the extreme.

3. tws011

tws011 Member

So we have nothing to complain about huh? :)

4. GMNot

GMNot Member

Your comment (post #63) assumes I misconstrued Miller's comments. See meadowlark's confirmation (post #82). This wasn't any coach's fault.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yeah, when I saw how the game was going in the first half I just entirely ducked Clutchfans because I knew what was going to be here.

I'm disappointed in the collective performance of the last 2 games too, particularly the team's collective turnover rate, but there's little to be gained by hysteria.

6. adoo

adoo Member

what a perfect eg of head buried in sand !

reality sucks, but u do realize that
    • the Clips were playing without their best player,

CP3's uncanny ability to control the pace of the game was sorely missed in the 2nd half; that, more than anything else, enabled the Rox to come back

7. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

ding ding ding the winner right here folks. On both games the leas has plummeted bc he takes 2 long to adjust.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This isn't new. TMac's entire career is defined that way. It's the way people are.

The McHale argument is unwinnable because fans assume they know everything that is being said or done on the sidelines, when all they see is McHale clapping on TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Weren't the Rockets playing without their starting point guard and their starting power forward? Not saying that either player is in Paul's class, but missing two starters weakens a team tremendously. Even if they have competent players to step into their spots it lessens the depth.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Playoff Leaders - Total Points created

1) John Wall
    2) Beard
    3) Steph Curry

ESPN didn't show the stat long enough for more details

11. ibm

ibm Member

true. and there hasnt been enough talks about this.

cross out any 2 starters from any team and see how they'd do. say for the clips, with cp3 healthy, but you take out barnes and reddick,,,

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'll give them credit for game two and I'll give them credit for game one as well. I'm going to give them credit for every game.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Furthermore, people seem to think that most coaching happens on the sidelines, when in fact, the coach is only on the sidelines for about 250 hours out of a seven-month season. People think the coach does not do anything during the remainder of that 7 months.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The stuff you guys are saying about harden is the same stuff that was said about lbj litterly the exact same thing. "He's got all the talent and skill but not the killer instinct or mental game" I call bs this guy plays relentless trying to get to the cup.

Lbj had wade and now kyrie

Durant has Westbrook

MJ had pippin

Curry has klay

Drose has butler

Who does harden have? Seriously I'm asking. With all that said harden lead Houston with dwight out 41 games to the 3rd best record in the league better than lebron rose who play in the garbage east and thunder (durant missed a lot so not as relevant)

He's younger than all those guys I named also. He's balling in these playoffs as well as anyone not named Blake griffin his TS% is higher than Jordan lebron Kobe's has ever been in the playoffs. He's second in assist and 3rd in scoring, let morey get him that goran level guard opposit of him and you'll see harden score 30+ every game and we will win multiple championships. He's the hands down best young player in the game and hasn't even hit his prime. He's a late bloomer in that he was drafted #3 but went to a team with 2 top 10 players already on it for 3 seasons.

I just can't get behind the fact that people think he's not good enough to be the guy on a championship team. I mean really who would you want? Lebron? Durant? Cause those are the only players better than him.

And to the poster talking about hardens post game interview, give me a break that's nitpicking and I question if your really a fan or even watch the nba because Chris Paul said the same thing after his game 7 win over Spurs. His own coach said he had to remind him to be more aggressive. Lebron said the same thing last night after their win too that his teamates told him to be more aggressive and take more shots. I mean seriously damn if you do damn if you won't I guess some of you see things that I'm not but I'am seeing the other teams best players saying the same thing.

Some of you guys are showing your age I'm old enough to know harden is a hof top 3 player/talent in the nba now, at 25 and the best player and chance at a ring since we had the dream.

Sorry for the rant but some of you so called rockets fans disgust me. Go rockets let's get these next 2 in LA and but out foot on their throats headed back to Houston. I'll keep saying it houstons a better team than the clipper who gave away 3 games at hm last series I might add. Rockets in 6.

1 person likes this.
  15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The initial part of the credit goes to Dwight Howard & Trevor Ariza for not letting their heads hang when the momentum was with the Clips; give that entire lineup (+Brewer/Terry/Jones + Coach) the credit - that's the toughness and resiliency that we need much more of from everyone. If that's a product of them receiving support and convincing by McHale, or others, then give them some of that initial credit too.

Harden's credit is certainly due, but secondary for me compared to Dwight/Ariza/lineup impact. Without them, we wouldn't have clawed back into it and set the stage for Harden

16. adoo

adoo Member

translation, u agree that

replacing 2 role players is much easier than replacing the best player on the team.​

17. adoo

adoo Member

Harden and a bunch of role players have exceeded expectation during the regular season.

the playoff is different; no back-to-back games and less traveling mean more time for preparation

you make it sound easy; if it's that easy, Morey would have done it already

Harden may end up winning multiple championship but, like LBJ, it may not with his first team

nope, i'll take anthony davis

harden has always been great in the regular season.

however, in the playoff, his performance has been spotty, a lot less dependable

harden has been the anti-thesis of Tin Duncan, the ultimate winner who shines during the playoff

i put him behind LBJ, durrant, westbrook, anthony davis, john wall and curry.

while that may be true.

but this is the playoff and the Rox just lost their home court advantage to the clips

in a best-of-5 series, with home court advantage and a well-rested Chris Paul, the Clips chances are not bad

18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I sat directly behind the bench for 14 games the first season Mchale was head coach, and could hear literally every single word he uttered from start to finish. I also don't think he's a very good coach.

Granted, the players definitely on occasion don't listen to what he's saying, but the point that he takes a very long time to make adjustments is not without merit.

Also, assuming confirmation bias when you yourself have absolutely no facts backing your position is slightly contradicting, no?

19. daledondale

daledondale Member

:rolleyes:

Stop with this crap. Who does Harden has?..c'mon, anybody with brain knows that DH was our best player in the playoffs until here.

I would say: Dwight is waiting Harden's step up.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

you don't sprint during a marathon until the end, son.