1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets take Game 5, but Harden still in a deep funk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's fun to make stuff up, isn't it?

Fact of the matter is Goran has only had EXTREMELY positive things to say about McHale and although Lowry initially left on bad turns he later revealed that it was on HIM being too immature.

2. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Eh, context is everything. Discussing past problems hyperbolically while praising current play is different than discussing problems hyperbolically with no mention of good plays.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Dragic didn't have a problem with the coaching. Dragic liked McHale.

4. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

i can buy that and i agree with you that it was a pretty fair overall but it caught me a bit off guard to hear it on a "professional" podcast. It just seem like forum type talk to me.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

It was a pretty professional podcast, wasn't it? Not good "for a fan site", just good.

Par for the course.

6. Stats

Stats Member

I think it was pointed out in another thread that Lin, Lowry, AND Dragic all put up far superior numbers when NOT under McHale. Coincidence?

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think it was also pointed out that this isn't entirely true.

People act as if before these guys got to The Rockets they were all stars. When they got here they took huge steps backwards and then once they left they are back to all star performers. Not true whatsoever.

Have their longest peaks thus far been on other teams? Sure, but both Dragic and Lowry played better here than they had previously and the peak performances for both Lowry and Dragic while here, were very near all star level just not over a full season.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I don't think the podcast was overly critical of Lin, but I did find the ray finkle comment overly dramatic. Ray Finkle's miss, lost the dolphins the Super Bowl (fictional) while Lin's turnover left the Rockets clinging to a 3 point lead with 31 seconds left in the 4th game of the 1st round of the NBA playoffs. Was it boneheaded, YES, but IMO ray finkle moments brings to mind Bill Buckner, Nick Anderson, Chris Webber and Scott Norwood, truely game ending/deciding momentus mistep. but YMMV.

While I cant say that I thought Dragic was better than Lin back then, it's become clearer than ever. As well the decision to keep Lin over Dragic has proven to be an obvious if rare Morey misstep, however I don't believe Harden was in the picture till after Lin/Dragic decision.

Absolutely and Empirically false. He hasnt been good overall and have border on being unplayable in games 2 and 4, but his play in games 1 and 3 makes this statement patently false (unless your definition of not a great job = better than 6th man of the year candidate production).

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

hes not so bad. he makes a lot of sense and he and clutch have good podcast chemistry together imo

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I have sensed a lot of negativity from you towards Lin, as well, maybe the overwhelm LOF fan finally get to you?

What's the point of comparing Dragic & Lin at this point? The guys was signed as the focus of a rebuilding project, it's not his fault that the Rockets got Harden before he even started his first game, then Howard this season. He only started one season for the Rockets last season, and has been steadily improving over the course of the season, despite the inconsistent minutes & roles. With Howard's signing this season, he was demoted to 6th man, his role was total changed again.

I agree with you that Lin is not a good fit with the current Rockets, but to trash him because of the things not controlled by him is just not fair to the guy.

The Rockets won two games in this series, and Lin was instrumental in both games. I don't think you should ask more from your 6th man, while the rest of your starters have been stunk pretty badly, save Howard.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I know that I have nothing to base this on as Dragic has not actually played with any superstar perimeter players before, but I really honestly think he wouldn't be that much of a better fit with Harden. He's had one good year of shooting the ball. Neither he nor Harden are good at catch and shoots. Both seem to need to be in rhythm with the ball in their hands before they get comfortable shooting. In other words, both need the ball in their hands.

I really hope that the front office did not actually decide to get rid of Dragic BEFORE they had assurances they could sign Lin. I mean, what if the Knicks hadnt been stupid enough to announce to everyone they were matching the initial contract, then what was the FO's plan? For my own sanity as a basketball fan, I really believe getting rid of Dragic was more about not wanting to give him the 4th year and less about getting Jeremy Lin. If this wasn't the case, then I wouldn't be shocked at all considering the amount of whining I've done about Morey's undervaluing of PGs

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I think Dragic is just a much more mature player but theres no doubt in my mind that he would have some similar difficulties with Harden that Lin has, ball handling, initiating offense, ball stopping and shot distribution, the positives are, Dragic is also the superior defender, shooter and less turnover player.

No clue about the front office, but I wouldnt be surprise if Les shared alot of the responsibilities for the Lin/Dragic decision. Morey wanting to redeem himself after the whole Linsanity, releasing him episode was probably a factor also.

13. ChippedToothLin

Good podcast Clutch, you both were spot on!

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Harold Minor over Horry. LOL. At least Clutch has the balls to laugh at himself. I, on the other hand, would never admit that publicly.

15. daRox

daRox Member

Exactly, people will fail to see the poison pill contract he signed and will only focus on the $15mil/year.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loving these podcasts, making my drive in the morning so much more entertaining.

DD

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Very good podcast: professional. With all the LOF agenda on this website I hesitate to say it, but I think maybe Harden is suffering from playing so many minutes this season, Parsons too. Harden played fifth most, Chandler seventh (mpg). Let's see who else:

1. Melo--not in playoffs
    2. Jimmy Butler--out
    3. Durant--number way down in playoffs (FG% .412, 3P% .250)
    4. DeMar DeRozan--numbers way down in playoffs (FG% .368, 3P% .231)
    5. Harden--numbers way down in the playoffs (FG% .347, 3P% .250)

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really do think a lot of Harden's struggles comes from the fact that he is working so much harder on both ends of the floor it makes scoring a challenge. Plus he is not use to the defense plus he is not getting the calls.

I think he will be ok though if he can get more games under his belt. It's an adjustment period rather than Harden being exposed. I think this is really the first time he is expected to lead a team to victory in a series where he is the center point of both teams strategies.

He'll figure it out.

19. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Matthews has also done a good job of forcing him to go to his right too. Gotta give credit where it's due.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's doing Harden a favor then. Unbelievable that the premier sg in the league can be rendered less effective by over playing him on the left.