1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets red hot, but power forward position still a big question mark

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 23, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thank you, Clutch. Thank you, J.R.

Thank you Jalen for comic relief.

Thank you DM the GM for creating a Rox-ster with two S*T*A*R*S such that the shortfall at the 4 is live-with-able (ever notice the [ahem] bigs in Miami?).

And there is plenty of time to get it right before TheRealSeason starts in @6 months.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loved it, great talk - disagree completely with you guys about DMo - think he is developing fine and just needs playing time.

That being said, still appreciate the podcast and think it is a fantastic addition to this site.

DD

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Quite false, over the last 10 years the only championship teams that has a 7 footer @ 4 was Dallas and Lakers...

Miami, Detroit, San Antonio, and Boston did not have one...

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Nice podcast,

but

I completely disagree with all of the negative remarks about DMo. DMo has for the most part had a good preseason, not so much for Jones. People are still acting like Jones has played better and that DMo has been horrible. That's just not the case.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Suggest that to Ainge to show what you know.

You can get anything from the C's you want except for Olnyk or draft choices, maybe Rondo (who really knows on RR???).

6. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

But if Morey is interested in Millsap at the cost of Asik, Jones and DMo, Millsap should already be in Rockets uniform three months ago.

We could have easily found salary dump deals for all three of them (honestly we would have multiple picks in return) and had enough space to give Millsap the deal he signed.

7. basketballholic

Would love to have Millsap. But the trade for Millsap should be Millsap, that Brazilian center they just drafted, and a future first for Asik and one of our pfs. Asik has more value than just Millsap. Gotta get more for him than just Millsap.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

Not sure why people keep saying that Asik is playing PF. Asik is not playing PF. Dwight is.

9. dje243

dje243 Member

This. The only negative I've seen from DMo is not hitting his threes. Other than that he has good spacing, passing, and screens. The ball doesn't stick when he's in the game. He does need to improve his shooting from the outside though to be able to actually spread the floor.

10. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

I like Ersan Ilyasova. I feel that he can help w/ his outside shooting and does some dirty work w/ rebounding as well. I'm not sure about his defense though...

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Doesn't Omri Casspi "On DD's BBQ Grill" basically give you 85% of what Ersan "Mentally" Ilyasova does?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wait another year, Papanikolaou is the perfect PF for the Rockets. Casspi, Parsons and D-Mo will work fine until then.

13. Raven

Raven Member

It takes two to tango, but I think it's a safe bet that Asik isn't going anywhere until Morey is certain the Blazers aren't moving Aldridge. This is why we want Portland to stink, really stink, just bottom out early and stay at the bottom. Then you hope that Aldridge starts griping and that the Blazers start fantasizing about Wiggins.

14. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

I really don't understand why anyone would want Aldridge on this team. He took the most midrange shots of ALL power forwards last year and only made a paltry 41%. How does this guy fit into the Rockets offense? He can't hit midrange shots yet loves to shoot them and he can't hit 3's. He's also average at best on defense. It makes no sense and people only want him because he's currently a big name.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Great talk. I disagree about D-Mo playing himself out of the rotation. The team could start either him or Jones and be successful.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Aldridge is not that far ahead of Millsap. I doubt many on here would agree with that, but the stats that Morey and Co. look at paints that picture.

What really separates them is the contract that Aldridge is on, and the extension that he is going to demand.

That means you can either keep the core of your team together and just swap Asik for Millsap plus fillers. Or you can break the whole group up for Aldridge. Even if you believe Aldridge is better than Millsap, he is not better than Millsap + Lin + Parsons.

And most importantly of all, Millsap's contract gives you the flexibility to reload again in 2 years and see if Love/Durant etc are available.(true superstars)

With Aldridge, if he demands an extension, your team is ALL IN on the Harden/Dwight/LA maxed out trio with little help around them. Aldridge is no where close to a true superstar(neither is Millsap obviously), and there is no guarantee that those 3 can do it by themselves. It is a HUGE gamble.

And if it doesn't work out, we are ****ed. Because it leaves the team with zero flexibility.

You go with flexibility + Millsap, or go allin with true superstars. Aldridge describes neither. Just say no.

1 person likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

as much as I want to believe in this guy he made mistakes that are more headscratching.

Passing out of bounds
    5,6 fouls after 20 minutes
    Can't shoot the 3 consistently or at all and that was one of his strengths

Thanks for the podcast - I am an avid fan

18. hahachui

hahachui Member

it is just one game.
    Plesae give time to Asik and Howard combo

Using Asik as a backup C, is a HUGH advantage to us.
    If we trade him, i doubt we can get equal value..

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

everyone is so enamored with traditional height measurements when it in fact isnt that important. this is what makes morey good. he looks past typical stigmas. also, why he grabbed so many undersized pfs in the past. value based on position. other gms pass because height.

where others see a lack of height in millsaps game, morey sees his 7'1.5" wingspan and 8'9.5" standing reach.

not to mention, as cxbby and many others have noted, his advanced stats are excellent. especially his RAPM.

after you look passed millsap as the underrated player he is, and start to value him correctly; stop and take a look at his very team friendly and cap flexible contract he possesses.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston is a better spot to team up stars and superstars than Oklahoma IMO