1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Eh I thought Harden's defense was alright in Game 1. Matthews was hitting some nice turnaround shots which are kind of hard to defend early on. Harden did a decent job contesting his jumpers

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

His first 19 minutes were god awful but otherthan that he did alright. Aldridge and Lillard just went off. Not worried tho wegot this :)

3. Rockness

Rockness Member

If we lose game 2, I hope these guys show some emotion other than sadness. It's time to be a man and be pissed about that loss, take responsibility (looking at you James and Howard, though the latter took some of it) and just take it to em!!

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great podcast, Clutch. I've been wondering myself why Harden didn't attack the basket late. As you guys pointed out, their two bigs had fouled out in OT, even if Lopez shouldn't have. Maybe getting no calls at all during the 1st half affected Harden's game a bit, I don't know, but he should have been doing what he does so well, attacking the basket and either scoring or getting the call. You don't stop that because of an awful crew of refs, because you don't get the calls you expect to get for half of regulation. I have to put most of that on James, obviously. It had me puzzled, for sure. Hoisting a three when he did in OT was absurd, especially when he hadn't been shooting well at all.

Tonight is a must win. If we split these first two games at home, we aren't any worse off than OKC is. I'm clinging to that thought.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Me too. A loss tonight pretty much seals the Rockets' fate. This would be really a shame, but the loss of the first game didn't surprise me. They "quit" a couple of weeks ago. The team has been in decline ever since. They essentially stopped playing defense, handed out career nights like free popcorn, and drifted into the playoffs. In contrast, Portland was streaking. Hopefully, they are now fully awake. If not, the Howard acquisition is going to look like a step backward.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think there are a few factors in this. But it happens every year with McHale as our coach. This can be for a variety of reasons.

First might have something to do with all the damned minutes McHale makes Chandler Parsons and James Harden. All that time logged in a "push it!, push!" offense has to wear you down. On the other end of the spectrum? Pops, COY. No one played more than 30 mpg. NO ONE. That. Is. Stunning.

McHale just looks kinda beat up and lost out there. There's just something about his teams, he doesn't seem to inspire or instill a real fire. CLAP CLAP CLAP "Come on, guys!" CLAP CLAP CLAP "Play hard, guys!" How JV can you get?

Another thing is we were kina sorta TRYING not to win our way into the 3rd slot...although Beverly's and Howard's injuries helped pave that road.

Losing Sampson didn't help either. I'm not saying he's an awesome coach, but McHale certainly doesn't hold anyone on the team accountable; maybe Sampson at least said, "Hey, James, we maybe gonna play a little defense tonight?" or "Hey, James, let's you 'call it a night' early, we got a big game tomorrow, big game." (Of course this is speculation but he's the only member of the coaching staff who's ever stood in front of a camera and said that Harden needs to push himself.)

Harden isn't exactly a "self-starter". He needs a constant boot in his ass to work hard. Don't ask me for proof. I'll just say, Watch the games, hmn? Tell me I'm wrong.

But also, to Harden's credit, he has to carry a lot of the load. Our bench flat-out sucks (in part because McHale neither trusts nor knows what to do with it); and a talented big-money part of it, Omer Asik, probably summons his fight by saying, "The better I do now, the more chance some other team will trade for me," rather than feeling like he belongs long-term. When Howard went down he kicked butt. Otherwise he sometimes has had an Apathy Ren appearance out there. We need Evil Ren.

1 person likes this.
  7. solid

Interesting analysis, you make some really good points. I am a big believer in "momentum." I know many on the board think "it" is overrated, but I am convinced that if you are rolling it is easier to stay rolling. If you are going downhill, it is much harder to "get started." I honestly believe that the Rockets are the more talented team in this series, but that doesn't mean they will win it. Tonight is crucial. However, if the "immature" Rockets start celebrating like it is over, Portland might just win the next three. At some point our team needs to get into the "playoff mind set."

8. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The Clippers totally blew this theory out of the water a couple days ago....

9. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

My comment about the Clippers blowing the theory out of the water applies to THIS post, not the one I originally responded to.

10. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The core problem here is that "Moreyball", shooting layups and threes simply because they're "efficient", dictates this sort of play.... The strategy is totally oblivious to situation... Especially when the defensive strategy is expressly to stop those two types of shots. When the two options are taken away, the offensive possessions turn ugly.

11. MethodM

MethodM Member

Looks like they can do all that same **** again.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

NOW it's a death knell. The Rockets are done. Had to win tonight and they played arguably one of the worst games of their season. What a waste of a season.

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

After game 2 its obvious.

DEATH KNELL

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

[​IMG]

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

it is.

16. solid

We have an answer!

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm just as stunned as anyone here. Truth is, Portland is just a well oiled machine right now. They are playing as a cohesive bunch and their superstar is carrying the load.

The Rockets are struggling to find any rhythm and their superstar is not coming through. It's a lose lose. Win or lose this series it is obvious that this team has some issues that need addressed in the offseason.

No way I'm giving up, though. Anything can happen in a seven game series. We are all on this site because we've done it twice before. Let's hope Clutch City makes another appearance.

18. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Well, it seems that was a legit question. Bummer.

On the plus side, you can just recycle the headline if you do another podcast. Pretty sure no one will object.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Rockets have lost by a combined total of 9, and the Rockets have found themselves up plenty. It's not like Portland has just had the Rockets number from the get-go.

I'm the biggest Harden homer there is, but these 2 losses are on him. Mchale obviously doesn't help, and others have struggled such as Parsons and Beverley, but Harden's play is unacceptable for a dude of his talent (and his contract). Harden on a normal day for him easily makes up that 9 point difference and I'm convinced we'd be up 2-0 if he just showed up. Sadly...he's been nothing but a negative and I think he's cost us both games.

1 person likes this.
  20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That has been my stance as well. Harden is the main reason for the losses in my opinion. He plays like normal harden and we win both games. That's with LMA shooting out of his mind. I don't know how long he can continue it. But if it takes that much from him to win only ny mine in 2 games we can still win the series if Harden would at least shoot 45%.