1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Clutch, I appreciate the podcast and insights, and I know you have to protect the interest of the organization and all. But SERIOUSLY?! No mention on Kevin Mchale's coaching job and decision?:rolleyes:

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its what I've always had a problem with this team and that's situational basketball. This team plays the same when they're up 15 or down 15 and that concerns me. When portland made the run, harden jacks up a long 3, parson and lin jacked up one too. On one possesion when someone jacked up a jumper and missed,howard got the rebound and harden jacked up another 3. On a night when you're struggling from the perimeter ,you don't just keep jacking. This has been a problem all season and will continue to be one.

3. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

He's the best spot up shooter we've got, and he's quick enough to stay in front of Lillard. Down by 30, really?

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with this. The Rockets just chuck threes to often. Dwight had it rolling in the 2nd half, we should have fed him more.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This was a good slap in the face for this team. It should serve to remind them that the playoffs are serious business. They may have had their way with Portland during the season but that was then and this is now. If they are to be successful during the playoffs, their "star" players will need to learn this and fast.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They won the series 3-1 but I don't recall the Rox dominating in any way.

I figured this was a nip and tuck 7 game series that was a coin flip.

DD

7. autoprt

autoprt Member

i feel good. i'm rested from late sunday night and just found out Bev is back. i think if bev's leg fell off he'd grow a new one in a day or so....amazing.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I still think it'll be Rox in 6. This team has a lot to learn about what it takes to become a champion and that takes time. All winning teams go through this process and now it's the Rockets' turn.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That is a good observation. Up by 7 to 9 points with 4 minutes to go, they should have been taking time off the clock and driving into the paint. By taking quick shots, they only aided the Blazers into their comeback. This is not winning playoff basketball. This is on McHale for the lack of instructions.

10. BonziWellsGOAT

How do you go from hoping for a sweep to losing in 5 after a game?

*insert "that escalated quickly" pic*

11. getred01

getred01 New Member

Harden's shot selection was terrible on Sunday. He obviously is our best player but was having an off day. He shouldn't have tried to be the hero if he wasn't getting a good look. Honestly I am the biggest Jermey Lin criticizer, but in OT Harden should have gave the ball to Lin. He had it going and gave us some great shots down the stretch.

I'm hoping the Rockets come out the same way the Clippers did last night. That sense of urgency is there more than ever. I see Howard having a monster game tomorrow, 35-20.

Whatever the case, WE NEED TO WIN!

12. Remlap

Remlap Member

We need less of this......

[​IMG]

13. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

I think Game 1 was a wake up call, or a kick in the pants as an Attention Getter.

[youtube]71fTqQwX9VM[/youtube]

14. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

It took a franchise and career night from Aldridge and a great game from Lillard to come back from double digit deficits three times and win by 2 in overtime. Within that game Harden has a relatively miserable game, our bigs got into foul trouble early (3 Asik offensive fouls on illegal screens), and we didn't shoot a free throw in the first half. Lets pump the brakes.

The bigger issue is something the guys on 790 brought up during the beginning of the season. Houston sports fans, including myself, are almost AFRAID of winning. Its as if we are afraid of believing because we've been burned too many times in the past. I want you to get up from your computer, go look in a mirror, and say these lines:

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Over and over again until you believe again

[​IMG]

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

A Hillary tattoo?! Seriously.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's a losing strategy. With a 7 or 9 point lead, you still need to score with 3.5 minutes left. You can't just run out the clock and hope your defense will hold.

You need to execute. And since we are an early shot-clock offense, where players are coached to shot when they have a shot, it's hard to then try to change that mentality.

My issue was more of why is Parsons on Lliard.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

100% agreed the playoffs need urgency for 48 mins.

DD

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I really wish we could rout them the way the Clips did to the Warriors in their game 2.

19. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

On the plus side, our 2 superstars were off, their 2 stars both had career nights and we still only lost by 2 off a botched call in overtime. In the reverse scenario (Harden+Dwight have career nights, Lillard+Aldridge off) we win by 40.

How much worse can we actually play and how much better can they? Not much. As long we don't completely collapse psychologically, the average performances will normalize themselves as the series goes on and we'll pull it out. We're a better team.

20. Rox-Oso

Rox-Oso Member

Maybe not by 40 but it should be a comfortable win. I still got the Rox in 6. If we play to our capability. Let's do this Rox!!!!