1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. steady

steady Member

Thanks Clutch. For the podcast, and for the nice tidbit about seeing Terrence Jones at Katz's, as well as all you do.

--

Re the game, more than a light-weight "wake up call" and less than a dire "death knell", the game could end up being for the Rockets that-thing-they-needed to challenge/propel/inspire them to play to their full potential. To kick them out of their comfort zone, and weld them into the lethal basketball machine they can be.

We heard how Terry Stotts had the Blazers gather around before Game 1 to watch video of Bev calling Lillard whiny. Last night's game, the rough way the Blazers' played Bev, and the high-wire tension of the entire last hour coupled with the devastating loss, must have (should have) seared them. (I have never seen J Lin so distraught in a post-game interview. He could barely talk. Dwight also looked more serious than I have ever seen him.)

I want to see the Rockets play with a lot more emotion, and desire, and desperation, in Game 2. If they do, I don't have any question they can win. They are that good.

2. reliableman

reliableman Member

Thanks for the podcast.

My feelings are that Harden won't have a game this bad for the rest of the playoffs. Howard needs to gather himself...from the opening jump he seemed like he was struggling with occasional bright spot. Our defense needs to go zone sometimes, and we have to double LMA. If we can keep LMA contained to 30 (god willing) that leaves Lillard to take over the series, which I don't think he can realistically do for the duration of a 7 game series.

McHale really got on my nerves last night. He played to Stotts' hand by taking out Dwight to prevent the Hack a Dwight. Dwight would've made a couple more during that period and we may have even gotten stops...that's the game right there. Lots more going on around that, but that, in my mind, cost us the game.

Also, we need to go with our hot hands. I love Harden but as the night went on we relied on him way too heavily even though he had a bad shooting night. More ball movement, less ISO. Again I put this on the coaching staff.

I am hoping this was a wake-up call in one way or another. Sigh....on to Game 2.

3. aznjeff

aznjeff Member

I honestly lost a little hope in this disappointing loss. Harden and Howard have to dominate the game. they are the better duo and need to show that. also someone needs to be aggressive with lma, rough him up a little. we cant let 46 and 18 ever happen again

4. chandlerbang21

Rockets can't leave batum lillard or Matthews open from 3pt line so they can't double. I don't think many here at CF have thought of that

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Basketball 101: One player goes to double, another player rotates over to cover the open player, then another player rotates over to cover that open player, then the player who went to double recovers on his man.

It's called Help defense rotation. But obviously this would take some coaching, which the Rockets do not have.

6. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Bcos he has done other aspects of the game veryyy veryyy veryyy well...

7. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Agree. The long faces mchale expressed after the lost... Hmmm priceless!!! He looked so clueless most of the time.

8. basketballholic

Basketball 101(b): When you double another player on an NBA playoff team, doubled player finds the open man. The ball moves faster than the rotating defenders. You lose.

9. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

A well coached team with leadership this would be a definite wake-up call.

With this Rocket's team WHO KNOWS.

10. reliableman

reliableman Member

So doubling somebody never works in the playoffs....OK. Let's just watch Tjones get backed into the paint for the next 3 games and get swept. Brilliant!

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

1. You can double team as the entry pass is being thrown. True, the ball can move faster than a rotating defender. But most NBA players can move faster than 2 ball passes: post entry and kick out.

2. You can double team from the weak side. This is more tricky ... but it's much harder to pass from the post to the weakside corner, than it is to pass to the top of the arc.

Double Teaming the Post Player

Watch this instructional video. It will completely open your :eek: MIND :eek:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clutch,

This was the FIRST Podcast I ever listened to in my car on the way to work and it was MILES better than Sirius radio.....

I loved every minute of you guys, good work and thanks for cranking one of these out for us - well after the game and late into the night.

Your work and dedication to bringing us the goods is sincerly appreciated.

DD

13. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

I don't think we should need to double. Robin Lopez is not a great offensive player switch up assignments and put Dwight on Aldridge. Dwight is a former DPOY with the footspeed and size to check Aldridge. Let him

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Wake up call for sure. We thought we had the game and then when they closed the lead we panicked by jacking up dumb shots.

15. edlkf

edlkf Contributing Member

Not too worried. We played badly and lost by 2 only. When Harden is performing at his average we would have won.

#75 edlkf, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  16. jocar

jocar Member

2012-13
    32pts vs Greg Smith
    31pts vs Asik
    29pts vs Asik/Patterson
    27pts vs Asik

2013-14

28pts vs TJones
    27pts vs DMo
    31pts vs TJones
    21pts vs TT

Next game, start
    Lin or Daniels/Harden/Parsons/Asik/Howard
    Let TJ and Lin work their 2nd unit.
    Do NOT let Bev play. Dude is going to hurt himself even more.

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Lopez isn't a great offensive player, but he's a very good offensive rebounder and will give us problems if the smaller T. Jones is not boxing out.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dude, Daniels in that line up would have the Rox down by 30 at the end of the 1st quarter alone. You've got to be crazy.

19. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

Lopez is a good offensive rebounder, but I think you have to pick your poison. I would prefer to take my chances with Lopez on the offensive glass than let Aldridge manhandle Jones all night.

20. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Harden seldom has back to back horrible games. I'm sure he'll bounce back, however, we really need to mix up our offense a bit especially in crunchtime. Makes no sense to keep insisting on a very predictable crunchtime offense. I sincerely hope that the coaching staff has been working on plays for various scenarios with the players. Furthemore, it should be pretty much automatic for the players so they don't get flustered in those situations.