1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Breaking Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you incorporate the old Rockets intro song?

Can you get Gallery Furniture as a sponsor?

#21 tinman, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Great stuff, really in-depth analysis on the roster.

Cant wait for the next podcast

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

On second thought, if Cannan isn't ready at all, which is very possible for a rookie 2nd rounder, then we might have to keep Brooks as a 3rd stringer. That makes the last cut a little more difficult. Hoping we can get something for Greg Smith.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Woah, way to drop that bomb about Chris Paul at the very end!

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch! Could the podcasts be done on a weekly basis? Makes my daily drive work commutes through LA traffic a lot more tolerable!

Wasn't sure if it was The Cat or Lance who mentioned but I loved the point said where the Rockets could use the Lin/Dwight combo pick and roll combo as a Plan B when Harden is out resting.

#25 dmenacela, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  6. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Nice pod, I think I look at the roster shake out a bit differently though.

A. Greg Smith : it needs to be noted that Smith is a few month younger than Covington / Canaan / Dmo, if you put that into perspective, and the fact that he's as cheap as the former 2, then you should see every reason why he should make the team. because as it currently stands, he's clearly the best NBA player out of those 4 by a considerable margin AND he's the youngest.

B. Camby : last year did happen you know, this isn't the 2012 pre season, this is the 2013 pre season which came after Camby hardly being able to get on the floor and was horrendous when he did, that he got out played by Kurt Thomas who retired late in the season, that he played 3 min in 3 games in the playoffs with Tyson Chandler hurt, that he made less than 20 buckets all year and shot well under 40% from the field.... those all happened.... yeah he wasn't healthy but he's also 39, it's not exactly the same as saying a 20 some year old wasn't healthy. We'd be lucky to get a barely better than last year version of him, which would still be horrendous.

Camby came with the agreement that he's going to eventually transfer over to the front office / coaching role, don't see why that shouldn't happen sooner rather than later. especially with him being unable to go in the pre season.

The Rest: yeah I see Williams seemingly being the likely guy out as the point you guys made on how the vast majority of minutes for the guards will simply be split between Lin / Bev / Harden, so there's basically room for 1 more guard at best and if we assume that's Brooks, then Williams look the most suspect. Of course, it could easily be that one of Brewer / Casspi plays horrendously in camp. but certainly at this point Williams seems to be on the hotter seat.

I would suspect that it's Williams and Camby not making it, with Camby it's merely more of a retirement thing. after last year I have an extremely difficult time seeing him still playing on a team by this year's playoff.

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So what's the run-down on Covington? Don't know too much about him, but the staff and players all speak highly of him.

8. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Covington is basically a tweener 3/4, has a bit of a skill set for both, but most notably that he's a good shooter.

He says he sees himself more as a 3 in the NBA but played the 4 in college out of team necessity. there is a decent chance that he is one of those guys that didn't look good in the NCAA's usual slow system but could look a lot better in the NBA's free flowing opened up offense. his skill sets fits the bill, and at least the talk from the team seem to be that he's living up to that so far.

Essentially, best case would be that's a poor man's Parsons. which would obviously be great.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Undersized but has length and uses it well to collect blocks and steals. Great outside shooter. Questionable defense but he could improve on it. Has potential as a face up scorer. Went undrafted because he had a bad senior season coming off a knee injury and didn't play in a super competitive conference. Classic Morey signing, basically. I assumed he'd spend most of the season with the Vipers but McHale already mentioned him as a potential option at the 4, he might get a shot this season (at least earlier than DMo and TJones did last season).

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brooks will step it up come postseason. :grin:

11. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Poor man's Shawn Marion!

12. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

On the issue of Asik and Howard playing together the number one priority for Mchale, despite what he says, is to have one of them on the floor at all times. Hypothetically, if you played them 30 mins each, that's just a 12 minute overlap. Add 5 mins to Howards PT and 17 mins tops.

17 mins of Omer-Dwight doesn't sound too bad against the following teams:

1) Nuggets (early reports suggest Chandler will be moved back to SF.)
    2) Mavs (Yeah, I'd like Dwight guarding Dirk.)
    3) Bulls
    4) Celtics
    5) Clippers
    6) Bobcats
    7) Nets
    8) Cavs
    9) Bobcats
    10) Lakers
    11) Grizzlies
    12) Pistons
    13) Suns
    14) Pacers
    15) Magic
    16) 76ers
    17) Kings
    18) Spurs
    19) Wizards
    20) Jazz
    21) Raptors

For some of these teams you want Omer-Dwight as your principal backcourt. For some of them you want dwight guarding the dangerous PF to make sure they don't pick on TJ and D Mo (I would even add LMA- Portland to this list.)\

And for some of these teams... honestly their defense sucks so much that our offensive dip doesn't matter.

Then there will be situations when the Rockets will be up by 15-20 and you want to keep the opposition from going on a run that'll cut the lead. Omer- Dwight.

And of course if Mchale keeps the long game in mind, might start Omer over Dwight to rest him.

And people forget that one key aspect of our offense is getting the stop/rebound and then running. Omer's gonna get a ton of minutes. I predict no worse than 25mins per game when the season is done.

13. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Thanks for the hard work done on everything on this site Clutch! You really should look into doing a podcast every week or two. Podcasts are definitely a growing thing in this country. I know your probably busy all the time with the work required, so thanks for everything you've done. Great podcast to hear.

1 person likes this.
  14. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

Thanks Clutch and CXbby, for putting things into perspective.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not sure how well Harden and Paul would have meshed on the court together since both are so ball dominant...but can you imagine that? That would have been one of the most talented backcourts in at least a decade or two, no?

16. jocar

jocar Member

Great points on TJ being more Dwight-ready having already played with Davis. I wish I could say the same for Motie on team Lithuania, but he looked equally confused as to what his role is as PF. Still rootin for DMo though, I think he has more offensive versatility that has yet to be tapped.

and.... AB is poised for a comeback, book it!

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The Rox are in win-now mode. They will keep guys who can contribute in the playoffs over development projects. I think Canaan will be cut before Brooks. Brooks has a few prime years left and Canaan will not be prime for a few years.

18. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

This podcast made my day, thanks guys!

19. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

this also means all those that had to apologise to that british fellow 'meeks' , can now un-apologise.

20. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

That was a discouraging discussion. Lin has been making every effort this offseason to become exactly the player the rockets want him to be:

1. extensive 3 pt shooting drills

2. losing weight to max out speed and to min the possibility of future injury

3. working on his left hand

Despite all of this, mchale remains enamored with beverley. Add to that, morey was ready to pull the trigger on moving lin and signing chris paul.

In scrimmage, lin does exactly what everyone has hoped for, going strong and finishing to his left and the only thing mchale has to say is to reprimand the other team for 'not playing defense.'

Lin is right: this org. does not believe in him. He's resigned to it but jesus what more does this kid need to do?!?