1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: As win streak continues, are Rockets legit title contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TheOozyMan

TheOozyMan Member

ballstreams is awesome, I dont think theyre allowing any new signups though to maintain server capacity

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Legit borderline contenders? Is that enough?

3. olajuw0n

olajuw0n New Member

Lack of experience is going to be a problem.

Despite how well or the lack thereof (considering their talents and how they have kept losing leads) they have played so far, I think Rox needs another year before they can become a real threat. I just hope the Rox makes the most out of this year's playoffs and learn from it so they can gear up for the big things to come. I really like the path Rox has taken. We look almost like the young Thunders few years back building from scratch and now have a team that is really talents to make some noise in the Western conference. Go Rocket!

4. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Does Wilson Chandler fit the criteria of a good defensive/catch and shoot wing? I don't even know his salary situation. Jeff green might be a good overall player but not a good shooter.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Awesome podcast Clutch! MK was a great guest. We need him on more often. Good stuff!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Get Leah Rahimi next. We need to hear the ladies perspective and she was great in King of Queens.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Awesome podcast. One of the best. But do you think that there is a team in the NBA that the Rockets cannot beat in a seven game series? In the playoffs it is all about seeding, match ups and streaks. Do you believe that the odds of the Rockets beating the Thunder in a seven game series is worse than 40%?

8. Clarinetmonster

It depends - is Bev tall enough to reach Durant's knee?

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Overall there are too many nights the defense never gets settled or adjusted along with bad pass turnovers....

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally also put Clippers in that group myself. But it could just be bias from their early season destruction of us.

If the Rockets play the Spurs, Blazers, Warriors, Suns, or Grizzlies, I would put money on the Rockets to win.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would add Dallas, but I feel certain that that was just a minor oversight on your part. And you could argue that Dallas is not relevant this season.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When we show that we can hang with the Clips and Thunder, than I will believe we are a contender. Thus far, that has be woefully not the case.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand why people would rather not play the Clippers. I will say that I feel more comfortable about them playing them now then I did at the beginning of the year. I know Beverley didn't play in the first game but I feel like this team is better than it was in the beginning of the year. I trust Beverley to try and make CP3 work hard.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

From the perspective of a fan, I do enjoy watching this team. But I think Morey is trying to chase "perfection"-- if he can't achieve it, then at least get as close to it as possible.

The Rockets are a pretty good team. Certainly a top 10 team, maybe even top 5 or 6. But winning the NBA title is just REALLY REALLY HARD even if you are the top 1 team in terms of talent, let alone top 5 or 6-- Miami even lost in 2011, and the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton also lost to the Pistons. In the NBA game, the odds are ever not in your favor.

I am not going to sit around and complain about the team at all. But Morey must be pursuing moves to substantially upgrade the roster in order to give the Rockets the best possible odds at winning a title.

15. delalex

delalex Member

I will say yes.

16. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Clips don't scare me apt that much, we played them early in the year and this team now is so much better at being able to able inside out. It would only take half a quarter to get both Blake and deandre in foul trouble and then the clippers weak back up bigs are exposed

17. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Morey reminds me a lot of Larry brown in the sense that he's a perfectionist in an imperfect sport

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I've avoided the Lin starting or coming off the bench threads so this might be old information. I think you guys looked @ Lin's TOV% in all 25 of his starts instead of pulling out the data from his 7 starts w/o Harden.

Turnovers.
    In the 7 games Lin started in place of Harden his per game TOV/per 36 TOV was 3.6/3.8 Not good, but acceptable considering he wass replacing Harden.

In the 18 games Lin has started next to Harden his per game TO/per 36 TOV was 2.8/3.0 Which are a tiny bit better than his 2012-13 numbers of 2.9/3.2. He also averaged 5.0 AST/36 and 14.1 PTS/36.

In the 18 games coming off the bench his per game TOV/per36 TOV was 2.3/2.9 He also averaged 5.3 AST/36 and 15.3 PTS/36.

As you can see 3.0 TOV per 36 versus 2.9 TOV per36 not as big a difference as made out to be in the Podcast.

Harden better with Lin?
    Harden wo/Lin injured 9 games
    FG% .438
    3P% .283
    APG 5.3
    PPG 23.1

Harden w/Lin starting 18 games
    FG% .483
    3P% .360
    APG 4.6
    PPG 25.9

Harden w/Lin on bench 18 games
    FG% .413
    3P% .319
    APG 6.0
    PPG 22.2

The argument here would be that Beverley isn't an offensive threat so teams can key on Harden making it harder for him to get open looks. You could also argue that Harden had Westbrook in OKC to help with spacing.

Lin only plays 6.8 minutes per game without Harden. Basically 3.4 minutes during each half of a game. Last year it was 3.8 minutes per game without Harden. So Lin "running the second unit" this season is only 3 minutes more per game than last season.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, I didn't mean I'm against a deal improving the team, and I will be surprised if Morey doesn't do something at the deadline. I was really addressing those who always seem to see the negatives in every Rockets related conversation, and ignore or dismiss the positives. Of course the team can be better with an addition here, and a subtraction there. It would be nice, though, if some of the members could simply let themselves enjoy what we have going right now. It's special, because yes, winning the title is REALLY REALLY HARD.

Hell, making it to the Western Conference Finals is really, really hard. If we manage that this season, we've had an amazing year, regardless of whether we play in the Finals for the championship.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really think they have a great chance to make it this year to the Western Conference Finals whether they make a trade or not.

This team I feel will get better as time progresses. I might be in the minority but I rather them keep Asik because he does address the weaknesses they have on this bench which is rebounding and defense.

If they can get a wing player that can hit the outside shot, more power to Morey.